Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Makeshift Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Anyone here using the universal ones?

Cusco or Greddy?

Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I couldn't get anyone at home depot or lowes who could recognize the glass filter thingie. I also could not find it on their websites. Does anyone have a part no. or specific reference for the catch tube?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 PM
At Home Depot you should be able to find it with the supplies for the air compressors. The description is:

HUSKY
1/4 In. Air Compressor Filter
Model HDA70400AV

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

I found one at Wal-Mart in the hardware section made by Campbell-Hausfeld. It's identical to the Husky part sold at H-D.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
At Home Depot you should be able to find it with the supplies for the air compressors. The description is:

HUSKY
1/4 In. Air Compressor Filter
Model HDA70400AV

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+3966&pos=n24

I found one at Wal-Mart in the hardware section made by Campbell-Hausfeld. It's identical to the Husky part sold at H-D.
Very helpful - thank you!

There is actually another similar unit with 3/8 inch ports also on the website if you search for "husky air filter" that has a greater flow volume. Perhaps that will address the "sucking" issue. It also has a metal frame around it... worth checking out.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-09-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I saw that one but it's probably overkill. I believe the "sucking sound" issue was resolved. If you don't use hose that is vacuum rated, it will collapse from the plenum vacuum. Make sure you ask for vacuum hose at the autoparts place, regular plastic tube won't do.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I saw that one but it's probably overkill. I believe the "sucking sound" issue was resolved. If you don't use hose that is vacuum rated, it will collapse from the plenum vacuum. Make sure you ask for vacuum hose at the autoparts place, regular plastic tube won't do.
I did not experience the "sucking" sound. However, the fuel line which I had originally installed collapsed during idling rpm. I removed the said and installed fuel injection hose instead. The new fuel injection hose holds up much much better than the fuel line material. That may be the remedy for the sucking noise. Perhaps, those whom had the sucking sound and switched to a different hose and eliminated the sound could elaborate on their experience.

Those of you that have installed this oil catch set-up . . . Are you folks catching a decent amount of oil? The catch bowl definitely fills up quicker when I am on the throttle.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Florida G35 Club
Are you folks catching a decent amount of oil? The catch bowl definitely fills up quicker when I am on the throttle.

Are You guys with forced induction paying attention?

Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Has anybody else noticed the design of the (inside) top of the air filter that you're using. There is a threaded opening where the the filter was screwed into that is connected to the outlet. Then there is a semi-circular opening that si connected to the inlet. Because they are right next to each other, it seems too easy for the vapors to come in and go right out with little or no oil being left behind.

It seems like we need some sort of baffle to separate the in from out to allow more time for the oil to condense out of the vapor.

Any ideas? I've got a couple but haven't figure out yet how to implement it.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Premier Member

Mine is now officially half full after 2.5 tanks of gas and about 700-800 miles.

That is a lot of oil!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
I am a little worried about the warning on the plastic bowl collector, considering it's collecting synthetic oil.

What about an oil catch can designed for this purpose, such as this one from Greddy?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Exclamation

Has anybody else noticed the design of the (inside) top of the air filter that you're using. There is a threaded opening where the the filter was screwed into that is connected to the outlet. Then there is a semi-circular opening that si connected to the inlet. Because they are right next to each other, it seems too easy for the vapors to come in and go right out with little or no oil being left behind.

It seems like we need some sort of baffle to separate the in from out to allow more time for the oil to condense out of the vapor.

Any ideas? I've got a couple but haven't figure out yet how to implement it.
You are correct!

After some experimenting.....I think I have found the best config.

You need the round piece that was being held on by the smaller, inner white filter to act as a deflector / baffle. If you look at the way it is designed, it is spaced down and has ridges around the edges in a spiral pattern for a vortech like flow.

I just cut off the inner white filter and then screwed the center piece back in to hold the round piece. Seems to be working very well.

Hope that makes sense......

RCDash, I really think the warnings are there to keep you from using it as a fuel filter or with flamable liquids that could cause an explosion. The polycarbonite bowl should be impervious to reg or syn motor oil.

Last edited by Brando; 05-11-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Andy,

Do you have a revised Parts list. I printed out your first post, but then it seems you revised much of the hardware. I know you revised the hose to something vacuum rated so as to not suffer from suck in, but what about all the fittings? Great ideas going on here...Very nice to see.

Also, A few have asked about the Stillen/Greddy setup? Is there any solid answers as to why we would not use them instead?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Brando
You are correct!

After some experimenting.....I think I have found the best config.

You need the round piece that was being held on by the smaller, inner white filter to act as a deflector / baffle. If you look at the way it is designed, it is spaced down and has ridges around the edges in a spiral pattern for a vortech like flow.

I just cut off the inner white filter and then screwed the center piece back in to hold the round piece. Seems to be working very well.

Hope that makes sense......

RCDash, I really think the warnings are there to keep you from using it as a fuel filter or with flamable liquids that could cause an explosion. The polycarbonite bowl should be impervious to reg or syn motor oil.

Brando,

That is an excellent suggestion. That should help condense more of the oil vapors. Thank you!

Edit: This new configuration looks really good. It should afford a better job of trapping more oil. I actually removed all traces of the white filtering element. I didn't want any of that nasty white stuff getting sucked into the lower collector.

Last edited by Andy2434; 05-11-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bosssho
Andy,

Do you have a revised Parts list. I printed out your first post, but then it seems you revised much of the hardware. I know you revised the hose to something vacuum rated so as to not suffer from suck in, but what about all the fittings? Great ideas going on here...Very nice to see.

Also, A few have asked about the Stillen/Greddy setup? Is there any solid answers as to why we would not use them instead?
Sorry, Bosssho . . . The parts list has been revised. These additional parts are not neccessary, but I added them to clean things up a bit.

I was very interested in the Stillen oil catch can after GEE PASTA's comments earlier this year. I e-mailed Stillen about their catch can. I asked for dimensions and if this can was a generic type of unit or if it was installation friendly for our cars. It's been over a week and I have yet to receive a response. This little set-up appears to be working fine for the time being . . . And with Brando's input, I think that I may keep this set-up installed for some time to come.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Makeshift Oil Catch Can