Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Catchin' Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catchin' Oil

Having removed the upper collector from about 25 VQ engines (my own 4 or 5 times) I've always found oil. I got a Greddy oil catch can but didn't find a mounting location I liked.

While checking out the InfinitiFX.com forum I ran accross an interesting way to address this issue... at least until someone comes out with a G35 specific oil catch can.

To give credit were it's due the poster, thread and instructions can be found here. http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=802

djlfx's parts list is complete as are his instructions. On thing I did differently was to remove the filter element and use the enclosure as a cooler, "wide spot in the road".

A note of caution: The filter came with a warning about synthetic oil and other chemicals. I filled the bowl with Mobil 1 and let it soak for 24 hours. No reaction was noted. I'll provide an update once I get some miles on this mod.

DaveO

Attached Thumbnails Catchin' Oil-1-28-.jpg   Catchin' Oil-1-oil-collector.jpg  
Old 04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DaveO,

Thank you for this great find. I was wanting to get a Stillen Oil Catch Can, but did not know where to mount it. This is definitely an excellent solution.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by DaveO
djlfx's parts list is complete as are his instructions. On thing I did differently was to remove the filter element and use the enclosure as a cooler, "wide spot in the road".
Can you elaborate on this?

Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GREAT IDEA!!!

And to think, I actually have 1 of theses things on MY compressor in my garage. PFFFFFF!!!. I was just getting ready to purchased a catch can.
Not any more. Off to the big orange box tomorrow!!

Thanks for the link. This is the reason I love this board.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
Dave,

I think Pasta did something like this last year. He called it the "Poor Mans Catch Can" or something of that nature. I'm going to hook this up tomorrow.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:13 AM
i used that smae one on my boosted cobra. you should have seen how much oil it caught after a few thousand har dboosted miles. Cheap, worked great and never had any problems with mine.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
Dave,

I think Pasta did something like this last year. He called it the "Poor Mans Catch Can" or something of that nature. I'm going to hook this up tomorrow.

i think he (or maybe someone else) used a fuel filter...

Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Having removed the upper collector from about 25 VQ engines (my own 4 or 5 times) I've always found oil. I got a Greddy oil catch can but didn't find a mounting location I liked.

While checking out the InfinitiFX.com forum I ran accross an interesting way to address this issue... at least until someone comes out with a G35 specific oil catch can.

To give credit were it's due the poster, thread and instructions can be found here. http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=802

A note of caution: The filter came with a warning about synthetic oil and other chemicals. I filled the bowl with Mobil 1 and let it soak for 24 hours. No reaction was noted. I'll provide an update once I get some miles on this mod.

DaveO
After seeing the residue during plenum removal for ME spacer & Iso - thermal gasket I have been curious about installing a catch can... thanks for the post! - Will there be a descriptive write up in Sport Z?... Diagrams I hope?...

Old 04-30-2006, 02:59 PM
ok, so this filter will trap oil/oil residue from entering combustion area, which is a good thing, right? i too noticed all the oil residue when i installed my iso and spacer.......i just cleaned it up w/rags and not thought much of it, until this post.......oil in combustion area can't be good.......someone with real knowledge please explain.............

Old 04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by klg35
......oil in combustion area can't be good.......someone with real knowledge please explain.............
Depends on how much. From what I've seen with my G and from the pics of other posted FM plenums, I hardly see it as a cause for concern. You're lucky to find a tea spoon of oil in the plenum. It's not like all that oil will be ingested at once. It's actually just oil residue accumulation from the emissions system of the car. I've seen VQ30s with far more significant oil accumulation (including my old VQ30) and it never seemed to hurt the performance or reliability of the motors. 250K+ is common place with the VQ. Usually the car falls a part before the VQ does.

Some cars experience significant blow-by under race conditions. GM's LS1 is a prime example and these motors really do benefit from a catch can. The VQ on the otherhand doesn't seem to have the blow-by issue.

Is the catch can bad? No, it won't harm the VQ assuming you understand what you're doing and how to install it. Most guys do it for the bling factor.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:23 PM
good explanation, i would assume that if this oil residue was a problem, someone on this board would of brought it up......so far, no one, which is a good thing.....

Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by baileyrx
i think he (or maybe someone else) used a fuel filter...
Gee Pasta installed a fuel filter in the PVC line a while back. I don't believe he's followed up on how well it worked for him.

Originally Posted by Bobalude
Can you elaborate on this?
A wide spot in the road is a way of saying an enlarged area that allows the velocity of a liquid or vapor to slow down and basically drop out of suspension. Combine that with cooling and vaporized hydro-carbons can also be condensed.

good explanation, i would assume that if this oil residue was a problem, someone on this board would of brought it up......so far, no one, which is a good thing.....
I respectively disagree with the majority of your statement.

DaveO

Last edited by DaveO; 05-01-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Dave,

Thank you . . . I just installed the oil catch can. It was quite simple and inexpensively done.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/97390-makeshift-oil-catch-can.html

Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
I respectively disagree with the majority of your statement.

DaveO

who do you know have too much oil going into combustion chamber through the plenum area? my observation is that, yes, there's oil residue at the bottom of plenum, however, has there been enough of these oil residue to be sucked into the c/chambers to be of a concern? who has experienced this?

Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
who do you know have too much oil going into combustion chamber through the plenum area? my observation is that, yes, there's oil residue at the bottom of plenum, however, has there been enough of these oil residue to be sucked into the c/chambers to be of a concern? who has experienced this?
IMO, no. Significant amounts of oil is not getting sucked into the engine...even under high load and aggressive handling manuvers.

As you probably figured out, the oil that accumulates in the plenum comes from extremely small droplets of oil being sucked in from various emissions components under part-throttle (high vacuum) situations. At WOT, there is no engine vacuum, therefore the emissions components are not operating. Since there is pressure differential in the center portion of the plenum (between the six runners), rouge oil droplets/residue will slowly accumulate there. This isn't to say some oil droplets suspended in the air aren't being ingested. I'm simply saying some of the droplets will get thrown into runner valley to the change in pressure. IMO, at WOT, there no way the oil that accumulates in the valley is going to be sucked up out of the valley and into the runners. It's just not really possible because the engine is going to ingest the material with the least resistance (air) plus that oil is largely covered by a metal plate.

Like many G35 mods, this is one of those that typically has a lot of debate. As usual, I'm often the one that goes against the masses

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Catchin' Oil