Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Catchin' Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual some don't have a clue but feel obligated to comment as an expert.

This is a cheap simple mod and once again if you don't see the advantage don't do it. Easy huh?

DaveO

Last edited by DaveO; 05-01-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Premier Member

This was mine when I did the MREV install. This was a pretty good amount of oil in there.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Premier Member

Good Job DaveO. I always like your expertise (from real experience) on these type of ideas/projects.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Russ . . . I had about the same amount of oil in my LC, as well. You should have seen the look on my face when I saw it. I think that these boards are great, because of the shared experiences and the work arounds.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by DaveO

This is a cheap simple mod and once again if you don't see the advantage don't do it. Easy huh?

DaveO
IF you read all the posts, i've asked for people with real knowledge on this...so, by all means, i'm not an expert here.........i hope your reply was not directly or indirectly towards my observation, i'm curious by nature and like to ask what i don't know..................if anything, i use this board to gather information and to see how to the the VQ/g35 more efficient........

some folks are just more into one liners and such.......

DaveB: your information is read with great interest, at least for me anyways......you know what they say.....
to learn something is to teach it..........

Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Premier Member

Well I just picked up my supplies from Lowes. So far its costing $26 bucks without the fuel hose. I think I have some at the house already.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Well I just picked up my supplies from Lowes. So far its costing $26 bucks without the fuel hose. I think I have some at the house already.
Have fun with the install, Russ. This set-up installs very quickly. With your abilities, the fun should be over in a matter of minutes.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by klg35
IF you read all the posts, i've asked for people with real knowledge on this...so, by all means, i'm not an expert here.........i hope your reply was not directly or indirectly towards my observation, i'm curious by nature and like to ask what i don't know..................if anything, i use this board to gather information and to see how to the the VQ/g35 more efficient........

some folks are just more into one liners and such.......

DaveB: your information is read with great interest, at least for me anyways......you know what they say.....
to learn something is to teach it..........
It wasn't towards you, but someone else who thinks he is a expert but really isn't.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by andy2434
Have fun with the install, Russ. This set-up installs very quickly. With your abilities, the fun should be over in a matter of minutes.

I can do my spark plugs now in 10 minutes. I got that down. This looks like a piece of cake.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveO
Very well.

DaveO
I'm not trying to me a punk here, but since you are an expert and you're writing for a publication, I (and I'm sure others) would like to know your basis on how oil will get lifted out the valley and sucked into the motor and your opinion of why this mod is an advantage. Your ideas won't sway me, but I'm sure others would like to know why this mod is a good thing.

From what I read in the linked post, the orginial poster doesn't even understand how and why the oil gets in though the PCV.

BTW for those going with this mod, the bowl will slowlydegrade over time with autmotive oil. I use these things on comprressor systems for my remediation systems. The bowl plastic is resistant to compressor oils and water. Solvents, fuels, and motor oils will degrade it.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
It wasn't towards you, but someone else who thinks he is a expert but really isn't.
I've never said I was an expert. Never once. However, I'm pretty certain I know/understand more than many people on this site. It doesn't make me an expert though.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 PM
ok, all's well.........

Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DaveB
Very well.

I'm not trying to me a punk here, but since you are an expert and you're writing for a publication, I (and I'm sure others) would like to know your basis on how oil will get lifted out the valley and sucked into the motor and your opinion of why this mod is an advantage. Your ideas won't sway me, but I'm sure others would like to know why this mod is a good thing.

From what I read in the linked post, the orginial poster doesn't even understand how and why the oil gets in though the PCV.

BTW for those going with this mod, the bowl will slowlydegrade over time with autmotive oil. I use these things on comprressor systems for my remediation systems. The bowl plastic is resistant to compressor oils and water. Solvents, fuels, and motor oils will degrade it.

Hmmmm . . . Very interesting comments coming from you, DaveB. I am definitely quite intrigued. First and foremost, I do not claim to possess your or the large majority of others' level of knowledge with regard to cars . . . I never have and never will.

LOL . . . Yes, I originally had no clue as to why and how oil ended up in my lower collector. All I know is that it's there . . . Does it matter? I know, that answer is clearly not acceptable to you . . . Why and who cares? The fact of the matter is that the oil is there.

So, DaveB . . . Is it in your studied opinion that . . . 1) Oil which is deposited into our lower collectors will not find its way into the intake runners and further down the line? 2) If the said oil makes its way further down the line . . . Is it your opinion that this will not be detrimental to the engine over a long period of time, as you have stated in other posts?

If I understand your comments correctly based on some of your current and previously posted studied conclusions . . . The oil which is deposited into the lower collector's valley cannot be ingested into the engine . . . And even if does, it can cause no ill effects over time. Hmmmm . . . Quite interesting.

Oh, thank you for your concerns and comments with regard to the possible failure of the bowl over time. I had mentioned that in my DIY comments, as did Mr. DaveO. However, it is always reassuring to have another opinion.

Please entertain this question, DaveB. Based on the oil deposits, which I had personally witnessed at the base my lower collector, as well as on my brother's '04 6MT Sedan's lower collector and combined with the amount of oil, which had collected at the bottom of the catch bowl after having only driven some 24 miles, yesterday . . . I will make an educated guess, yes an educated guess, that . . . 1) The catch bowl will continue to trap oil. 2) The amount of oil trapped at the said bowl over a period of time will equate to more than what I have seen trapped at the base of the lower collectors, given the same amount of time, mileage, etc. Question . . . Where does all of that extra oil go to?

Please excuse this layperson's inquisitive nature. I need to know the truth . . . And yes, I can handle the truth, as well.

I would feel absolutely terrible, if this DIY was total waste of time and could create some potential issues further down the road. It is definitely not my intention to misled this wonderful community, which has served me so well. Perhaps, you may better serve our fellow members by posting your thoughts on my DIY thread.

Last edited by Andy2434; 05-02-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Hmmmm . . . Very interesting comments coming from you, DaveB. I am definitely quite intrigued. First and foremost, I do not claim to possess your or the large majority of others' level of knowledge with regard to cars . . . I never have and never will.

LOL . . . Yes, I originally had no clue as to why and how oil ended up in my lower collector. All I know is that it's there . . . Does it matter? I know, that answer is clearly not acceptable to you . . . Why and who cares? The fact of the matter is that the oil is there.

So, DaveB . . . Is it in your studied opinion that . . . 1) Oil which is deposited into our lower collectors will not find its way into the intake runners and further down the line? 2) If the said oil makes its way further down the line . . . Is it your opinion that this will not be detrimental to the engine over a long period of time, as you have stated in other posts?

If I understand your comments correctly based on some of your current and previously posted studied conclusions . . . The oil which is deposited into the lower collector's valley cannot be ingested into the engine . . . And even if does, it can cause no ill effects over time. Hmmmm . . . Quite interesting.

Oh, thank you for your concerns and comments with regard to the possible failure of the bowl over time. I had mentioned that in my DIY comments, as did Mr. DaveO. However, it is always reassuring to have another opinion.

Please entertain this question, DaveB. Based on the oil deposits, which I had personally witnessed at the base my lower collector, as well as on my brother's '04 6MT Sedan's lower collector and combined with the amount of oil, which had collected at the bottom of the catch bowl after having only driven some 24 miles, yesterday . . . I will make an educated guess, yes an educated guess, that . . . 1) The catch bowl will continue to trap oil. 2) The amount of oil trapped at the said bowl over a period of time will equate to more than what I have seen trapped at the base of the lower collectors, given the same amount of time, mileage, etc. Question . . . Where does all of that extra oil go to?

Please excuse this layperson's inquisitive nature. I need to know the truth . . . And yes, I can handle the truth, as well.

I would feel absolutely terrible, if this DIY was total waste of time and could create some potential issues further down the road. It is definitely not my intention to misled this wonderful community, which has served me so well. Perhaps, you may better serve our fellow members by posting your thoughts on my DIY thread.
I would assume some of the oil will eventually find it's way into the engine, but the amounts will be miniscule. It's not like all that oil will be sucked into the engine on a WOT run.

Another thing to look at is your oil dipstick. Does your G loose oil over the course of an oil change? Mine doesn't, but I don't doubt a teaspoon or two of oil is being sucked through the manifold and being burned every 5K miles or so. Regardless, it leads me to assume that the oil being ingested by the intake manifold is pretty minimal.

You also have to consider the fact that automakers consider it normal for an engine to burn 1QT of oil every 3K to 4K miles. That's 192 teaspoons of oil. However, neither of my VQs nor my friends have burned that much oil. My old 115K mile VQ30 would burn about 1/4 QT every 5-6K and the thing was driven extremely hard with lots of 5000-7000rpm blasts. I had added a JDM Nissan variable runner intake manifold to the VQ30. The variable-runner air chamber would collect small amounts oil just like we're seeing with the FM VQ35.

Just out of curiosity, how much oil are you seeing in the chamber?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
DaveB,

Thank you for your quick and timely reply. Truth be told . . . I would have to say that I probably found some 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil trapped in my lower collector. That doesn't seem like much, if any. My concern lies with how much of this oil is actually being ingested by the engine, as the oil vapors are being introduced into the said over a large period of time.

If my catch bowl continues to fill itself up at its current rate, it would reason, based on what I have seen thus far . . . That much more oil is being sucked into the intake runners than is left trapped behind. I change my engine oil every 2.5k miles. It appears that at that particular oil change interval, the engine is about 1/2 pint to 1 pint low on oil. That's not enough to write home about. However, I would not want that amount or a percentage of the same to be a cocktail for my engine. As with all of my cars, I plan to keep my G for a long time to come.

Edit: Dang you, DaveO . . . Look what you got me involved in here. . . . I love this stuff!

Last edited by Andy2434; 05-02-2006 at 05:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Catchin' Oil