Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron-Mike
will post a copy of my dynco sheet on Monday when I get my vortech tuned.

mods are 928 motorsports V+ impeller upgrade
928 motorsports boost limiter valve
GTM machined 2.62 serpentine pulley
TurboXS RFL BOV

I'll start an actual thread which will outline all the mods and what I had for baseline power as well as end result power
Are you running with stock block? I will wait for the result.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by xhooniex83
Are you running with stock block? I will wait for the result.
yeah stock block. I have a boost limiter valve that will let me set the boost to any point I want so I'll set it to 10psi and keep things decent until I build the block

Old 04-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
"boost limiter valve" on a supercharger? So... it's kinda like if it hits 10psi around 5500rpm it will just keep it constant up to redline? How's that work? Biult into BOV or is it located somewhere else? - If so, where in the piping?
Usually people just use a turbo wastegate ( at least that's how I've seen it ). Once you get to the specified boost, it starts to leak and keeps the boost steady.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldnt bother setting that valve until you run it wide open on the dyno. getting 400 ft lbs of trq at around 5200 rpms will prolly require every bit of boost.

anything less than that isnt in the rod breaking danger zone.

Originally Posted by Iron-Mike
yeah stock block. I have a boost limiter valve that will let me set the boost to any point I want so I'll set it to 10psi and keep things decent until I build the block

Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by str8dum1
i wouldnt bother setting that valve until you run it wide open on the dyno. getting 400 ft lbs of trq at around 5200 rpms will prolly require every bit of boost.

Depends. Imagine being able to put a tiny pulley on a Vortech capable of ungodly boost but limiting that boost with a wastegate. This would allow the Vortech to produce monstrous low end torque ( similar to a roots style ) but with all the top end power. This is assuming you can get the belt to hold....lol.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned
"boost limiter valve" on a supercharger? So... it's kinda like if it hits 10psi around 5500rpm it will just keep it constant up to redline? How's that work? Biult into BOV or is it located somewhere else? - If so, where in the piping?
yeah thats exactly how it works. You weld the flange for it into the piping and there's a nut on top you can use to set the spring pressure. The one I got allows you to set boost from 2psi to like 30psi

once the boost exceeeds what you set it opens the valve and leaks the excess out.

This way of doing it is way easier than trying to get a turbo wastegate to work on the supercharger

Old 04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by str8dum1

I planned on letting the tuning shop install the boost limiter valve and the RFL BOV for me. They've done turbo BOVs on vortech setups before so I feel comfortable letting them do mine. I'll try and get a video of the car on the dyno on Monday when I take it to them

Will let the shop determine what I should set the boost pressure to and lock the nut in place on the limiter valve

thanks alot for the suggestion

I'm real curious to see what kind of numbers its going to make with my upgraded impeller and 2.62 pulley

Old 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Depends. Imagine being able to put a tiny pulley on a Vortech capable of ungodly boost but limiting that boost with a wastegate. This would allow the Vortech to produce monstrous low end torque ( similar to a roots style ) but with all the top end power. This is assuming you can get the belt to hold....lol.
funny you mention the tiny pulley cuz my GTM machined 2.62" pulley came by UPS earlier today. I have a revup kit so belt slippage is going to be minimal compared to the non-revup kit where I need the additional idler pullies to keep it from slipping

I have an upgraded impeller to install with the pulley. It has 16 blades instead of the stock 8 or so. Flows more air than the T trim blower at 5500rpm and combined with the 2.62 pulley should make a nasty beast out of the vortech. I figured setting the boost with the limiter valve will give me the torque down low that I'd otherwise be lacking but keep me safe up top where the boost would be entirely too much for the stock block

here are some pics of the parts I'm talking about as well as some tech data. Hopefully it helps clear up some things for you guys

and here's the boost limiter valve

Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned
So it's seperate from the BOV/Bypass valve that comes on the Vor and Pro though? Or does it replace that part?
yes its separate. I'll be running the boost limiter valve along with the RFL BOV instead of the vortech bypass valve. It will dump insanely loud and should set mine apart from most other vortech setups I've seen

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
problem is that i have plotted out all sorts of boost curves with various pulleys and unfortunately, you do not gain ungodly low end hp. your differences in boost dont start until 4000 rpms. 1psi is about 15-20 hp i think is the standard guideline

The nice thing about blowers is that since boost is directly related to impeller speed, you can easily back calculate boost curves with any pulley sizes.

In my graph i have also included Quamen's 928m impeller boost logs that he provided in one of his posts as a comparison to my Si impeller. Granted he has a direct drive system, instead of serp belt, his boost curve is very different than mine.

but until you go out and try it, who knows. But the logs i have backcalculated match up very closely to my actual boost curves.

Last edited by str8dum1; 04-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Banned
thanks for the info. I'm basically doing everything possible to the vortech this year even though I have the stock block. Will use the boost limiter valve to keep it all safe for this year. Next year is 4.2L stroker kit so boost levels won't be an issue then. Benefit is I won't have to buy new pullies and blowers to get more power. I already have them installed and working. All I'd need is a new tune after the motor goes in

at least thats how its supposed to go in theory of course. We all know it never goes according to plan LOL

Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Have you considered a Single Turbo like APS? I'd look into that as well. It doesn't cost too much more than a solid Vortech/Procharger setup.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I got that...lol...but why do you think it sucked?
Very loud and abnoxious, loved it at first but then it started to get annoying, it also isn't carb legal so it's worthless, plus it makes no power so it's even more annoying. And when trying to make power the pulley dont even work out for it, so that pissed me off. Poor design fact proven compared to other superchargers especially for the price its sold for. Had to do things to make it run better, (build a filter for it) and even then the fans still get chipped. From their no timing to their bypass valve created for it, so poor design in my opinion, its good and does the job, but for the amount prochargers selling it for, why? haha. The HKS performed way better for me, from drivabilty to racing. Smooth powerband and more power at lower rpms, the supercharger it self sounds amazing. Plus HKS is a bada$$ name brand.

Procharger set up:
http://www.gtmpower.com/car.php?vehicleid=63&page=2

hks set up:
http://www.gtmpower.com/car.php?vehicleid=78&page=1

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
not sure what's up with him but he's always been bitter about procharger. GTM got him 350whp which he ditched for a HKS sc. Funny thing is, he probably made the same whp as the procharger but for some reason wanted to pay a lot more to be different.
No, it did not made the same whp as the ProCharger, actually Made More. Over 20+ whp. Could've made more too also, but didn't beacause I had to upgrade a few things and $ was in the way. And Yes I did pay alot to be different, you can find that funny, I find that amusing, like ha ha I can do it cause I wanted to. Then now I got a G37 and I'm already going all out on it hahaha, what's next? I went through 4 cars in 4 years, boosted one of it twice and now putting the new one through car shows, yeah I pay to be different! Put everything on it from in and out, only thing left to do is custom stuff and going FI, and shiet I barely just hit 6k miles.

Last edited by G37Rider92649; 04-08-2009 at 08:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.