Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.

Between these two, who has the best powerband and best peak power assuming both are taken to their limit. I read the Procharger C2 head can theoretically produce over 600whp and imo should produce a better powerbad due to it's design, don't know about the vortech.

Since there are a lot more vortech owners it's hard to find much info on the procharger. I know the "tuning" sucks but I would do my own.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the procharger tends to have more power than the vortech right out the box but its only due to the fact that the procharger setup doesn't have any timing adjustment where the SS box with the vortech does pull timing a little.

You can get over 500hp with the vortech as long as the proper upgrades are done and you choose the right supporting mods.

Definitely going to require a V20 blower and a serious belt with smaller cog pullies (32 and 28 tooth) and maybe a smaller serpentine pulley ( 2.87" or 2.62") and meth injection to see 600hp on the vortech.

I've never read about anyone making 600hp with the procharger but there's at least 1 or 2 people making 500whp with the vortech both here and on my350z

I'm sure others will chime in and provide you with much more accurate info than I have. I'm posting based on my very limited knowledge of the two setups. I know someone personally with the procharger and I myself will have my vortech installed this weekend coming up

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope you have experience with tuning. That's all I have to say...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
I hope you have experience with tuning. That's all I have to say...
Yes, tuning is nothing new to me. I've always done my own tuning.

I've never heard of anyone with a VQ making 600whp on a procharger but I've read that the C2 head unit on the procharger is good for over 600whp. I wonder if the VQ can do it though with a good tune and mods without bumping up displacement.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned
here is the V-20 series supercharger from vortech. I'm sure you'll get your 600whp with one of these assuming you do all the other crap to get it to work and run safely

Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Those v20 makes good whp but the problem u will face in the g35 is will it fit and can u prevent slipping to even see +20psi?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Those v20 makes good whp but the problem u will face in the g35 is will it fit and can u prevent slipping to even see +20psi?
yeah you're absolutely right. I'll be lucky if I can prevent belt slip with my new impeller (60,000RPM ceiling) and 2.62 GTM machined pulley running a Gates belt

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Prochargers have great blowers but they also have issues. If u look on my350z.com and search for member, jay'z, he had the highest procharger whp but couldn't get pass 16psi bc of belts shredding and flexing of the bracket.

If u looking to make 600whp then u're best bet is to go tt bc it's not going to happen unless u spend a lot of money to stop the slipping issues.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Iron-Mike
yeah you're absolutely right. I'll be lucky if I can prevent belt slip with my new impeller (60,000RPM ceiling) and 2.62 GTM machined pulley running a Gates belt
I cant belive u want to do 2.62? U will need like 3 additional GTM pulley to help prevent slipping. I would also recommend doing the TimRod method and GTM also told me that the bando belts are better then the gates.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned
I cant belive u want to do 2.62? U will need like 3 additional GTM pulley to help prevent slipping. I would also recommend doing the TimRod method and GTM also told me that the bando belts are better then the gates.
the kit I got came with the 2.87 pulley. I ordered the 2.62 pulley from GTM but haven't put it on yet.

THanks for the headsup on the bando belts I'll be sure to look into that

Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
the kit I got came with the 2.87 pulley. I ordered the 2.62 pulley from GTM but haven't put it on yet.

THanks for the headsup on the bando belts I'll be sure to look into that
Ya, np...

Is yours a rev up motor or non?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned
Ya, np...

Is yours a rev up motor or non?
its funny you ask that...

I just called GTM and they said since I have a revup kit I won't have the belt slipping issues that the non-revup has due to a better pulley configuation. I mentioned the additional idler pulley they have and they said they made it with the non-revup kit in mind and that I should be ok with my kit and the 2.62 pulley. THey told me to call them if I find that the belt slips and they'll help me figure out something to resolve the issue

Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
its funny you ask that...

I just called GTM and they said since I have a revup kit I won't have the belt slipping issues that the non-revup has due to a better pulley configuation. I mentioned the additional idler pulley they have and they said they made it with the non-revup kit in mind and that I should be ok with my kit and the 2.62 pulley. THey told me to call them if I find that the belt slips and they'll help me figure out something to resolve the issue
ya u will be in good hands with GTM. U shouldnt get any slippage if u stay with the same cog pulley u have now. THe non rev has a bigger cog pulley that spins faster so that causes a lot of issues.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I've had a few turbo cars before but have never had a supercharged one ( I'm not counting the Grand Prix I had because I ripped the SC out for a turbo without even trying to mod the SC...lol ).

I know belt slippage is the biggest issue when it comes to SC and I know the Procharger bracket has flex issues but I believe Altered Atmosphere has a solution for this...I don't know how far you can go without belt slippage with the new bracket adapter thingy though.

As for those big Vortech blowers...do they even fit?

How about powerband...no one has talked about this yet. Which has the better powerband?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
both being centrifugal chargers, with very similar dynos, the only difference would come down to tunes.

vortechs have as much a 70 whp differences with the same pulleys between cars/dynos and shops.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs. Vortech: Powerband and Peak Power Comparison.