The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Nice Ford, old man has a 48 Chevy that I've helped him with in the garage.... In terms of an oil change before storage. I'm currently running mobil 1, can I switch to a conventional oil? Or do I have to do some sort of flush in between?

Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
It's oil just change it.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
It's oil just change it.
You never know. That's why I asked, this one time in chemistry I wasn't paying attention and poured this chemical into the wrong flask that had residue from a past chemical, and it fuzzed up and all that crap, ended up having to go into the nasty *** in-class shower. So basically didn't want a similar reaction inside if my engine, LOL

Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Yeah it might have seemed to be a silly question, but you do have a point. Better safe than sorry especially these days. See you learned something here, do you feel smarter?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mignav01
In terms of an oil change before storage. I'm currently running mobil 1, can I switch to a conventional oil? Or do I have to do some sort of flush in between?
The issue isn't the oil, but the contaminate it contains. During the normal act of combustion, things like carbon, gasoline, moisture, etc can entire the oil and cause it to become acidic over time. Acidic oil tends to eat away at metals and such. SO by changing the oil before storage, you eliminate this threat.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I store motorcycles for people for 5-6 months every winter. It's not as complicated as it seems.

Change the oil if you haven't done your yearly change yet.

Go fill up the gas to full and pour stabilizer in the tank using the stabilizing guide on the back of the bottle. Do this at the gas station, so the mixed fuel will make it into your injectors and fuel lines on the way home.

Pump up tires to a bit above recommended PSI, like 40 this winter. Flat spots were common with Bias Ply tires in 1972, but this is 2016 and your radials will hold up fine!

Since the car will be in a car port - remove the battery and put it on a battery tender on cold concrete at home. Leave it plugged in!

If you can afford it, put a cover on the whole car (if your association allows it).

Don't replace any other fluids as it a waste of money. Again, this is 2016 fluids don't fail that quickly!

Have a fun trip.
I thought doing that was bad for the battery? I always keep batteries off the ground or on a piece of wood to keep it away from the cold concrete.....

Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
I thought doing that was bad for the battery? I always keep batteries off the ground or on a piece of wood to keep it away from the cold concrete.....

That's an old myth because WAAAAAAAy back in the day, the material batteries were made out of was porous, and the battery acid would seep out, create a path to the concrete and drain a battery.

New batteries aren't made like that anymore, so no need.

Unless you have a Model T battery in your car, you are fine.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the replies! Like what was posted, better safe than sorry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.