G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about repair costs.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about repair costs.

I'm looking at buying a 2005 g35 coupe with 82,000 miles that is out of state. It is black on black with a 6-speed MT. He's throwing in an extra set of wheels and winter tires (rears are only a season old). The front passenger tie rod was replaced in April, and there was an alignment done (I'm not sure if that's a red flag). And recently, the rear pads and rotors were replaced.

Work that needs to be done & the bad:

He mentioned that the front passenger side shock/strut needs to be replaced.
The driver's power seat has shorted out, and needs to be fixed
The rear bumper was hit lightly at one point. You can see the cracks around the license plate where it was hit. In my opinion, from the pictures, it looks to be very minor.
The front bumper is weather worn, from being driven in the winter.
Also, there is an issue with the navigation, and the DVD drive needs to fixed/replaced.
One small ding in both the driver and passenger door, that can be popped out (they aren't creased).

Do any of you have a guesstimate as to how much getting this work done would cost? What do you think is a fair price for this car? And, do you think I should be concerned that the front passenger tie rod needed to be replaced, along with the shock and strut?

I live in CT if it helps any.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian84
I'm looking at buying a 2005 g35 coupe with 82,000 miles that is out of state. It is black on black with a 6-speed MT. He's throwing in an extra set of wheels and winter tires (rears are only a season old). The front passenger tie rod was replaced in April, and there was an alignment done (I'm not sure if that's a red flag). And recently, the rear pads and rotors were replaced.

Work that needs to be done & the bad:

He mentioned that the front passenger side shock/strut needs to be replaced.
The driver's power seat has shorted out, and needs to be fixed
The rear bumper was hit lightly at one point. You can see the cracks around the license plate where it was hit. In my opinion, from the pictures, it looks to be very minor.
The front bumper is weather worn, from being driven in the winter.
Also, there is an issue with the navigation, and the DVD drive needs to fixed/replaced.
One small ding in both the driver and passenger door, that can be popped out (they aren't creased).

Do any of you have a guesstimate as to how much getting this work done would cost? What do you think is a fair price for this car? And, do you think I should be concerned that the front passenger tie rod needed to be replaced, along with the shock and strut?

I live in CT if it helps any.

Thanks!
I'd pass on that way too much work. I've had my front and rear bumpers worked on and those are easily 500/600 dollars a piece. The shocks should be replaced in pairs, so you would need to do both. I did all four shocks myself and those can set you back 400-600 dollars in parts alone and the labor is probably an hour or two. The electronic work is a red flag to me and I would pass on in for that fact alone. Replacing the DVD and switches are just to much of a hassle and what caused them to short out or break to begin with?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Like he said electric work is always a red flag. It can lead to some many other problems you don't necessarily see.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get both of your concerns with the electric issues. I guess I didn't put too much thought into it, just assumed there could be many legitimate reasons as to why simply because of its age. I was able to get him down to $10k. The bumpers aren't bad, at all, it would just be something that I would take care of if I wanted to.