G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 G35 coupe Driver headlight issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 coupe Driver headlight issue

Hey guys,

Recently my driver's side headlight went out. I had this same problem back in June of 2014, found out it was a ballast issue so I ordered a new ballast, and it worked fine. Fast forward to last week, the headlight went out again. I took off the headlight, and checked three different bulbs to make sure it wasn't the bulb that went out, but none of them worked in the ballast.

So I ordered a new ballast, less than a year of purchasing the previous one, and waited for it to arrive. This morning it came in, and I got to work. I placed the new ballast in, and no light. Again I tried three different bulbs, same thing, no light. Then i thought maybe it was the igniter, so I tried a different one, and tried all three bulbs again, still no light. So then I removed the battery and checked the fuses, and all the headlamp fuses are fine.

My question is, what else could it be? Could it be that I just got a defective ballast? Should I order a new igniter?

Also, what could be the reasoning that the ballast can go bad in such a short amount of time? I know that is a pretty vague question, but I can't seem to figure the issue out. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I'm assuming you got the "new" ballast used? These are easily the most common problem, and you're right to check the ballast first. Easiest way to tell is to switch the pieces, one at a time, from your working headlight to your bad light until it works and you find the problem.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
I'm assuming you got the "new" ballast used? These are easily the most common problem, and you're right to check the ballast first. Easiest way to tell is to switch the pieces, one at a time, from your working headlight to your bad light until it works and you find the problem.
Not unless the problem is in the wiring harness. Did you ever check voltage to the ballast from the wiring harness?

Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by upallnight
Not unless the problem is in the wiring harness. Did you ever check voltage to the ballast from the wiring harness?
That is going to be what I do next. I am really hoping it is just a bad ballast.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
I hope thats the problem. Im gonna check the power to the wires first before I detach the other headlight and do a guess and check. Thanks for the help tho.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys, turns out the igniter was bad. Gonna order a new one. Mods you can close this thread.

Thanks