G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Camshaft Crankshaft Sensor Issue - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camshaft Crankshaft Sensor Issue - Please Help!

Hey guys. I need some help. I have an 08 G35 Journey. I currently have suspension work, test pipes and full cat back from Fast Intensions. I removed my air intake and put it back to stock. I previously had installed the Cobb Accessport, and had it uninstalled, then installed with UpRev to a stock map, hoping to ensure my computer was back to completely stock programming. There's where I'm at with the car. Now I've been having a lot of issues that the dealer has blamed on the cam and crank position sensors. I had my Bank 2 camshaft position sensor replaced in August 2010, again in September 2011, and had the remaining 3 camshaft position sensors and crank sensor replaced in January 2012. All of those replacements were due to the engine violently shaking above about 4500 RPMs. Now I have even a worse problem. My car won't start. About a year ago, my car wouldn't start and they replaced the Bank 2 cam sensor and 'fixed' it. Then it wouldn't start about 4 months ago, and the dealership said my mass air flow sensors had been clogged by my K and N filters, so had to buy new ones and back to stock air intake I went. Now my car won't start again. Only when the car is warm and has been driven even a short distance, when I try to start it when it's warmed up, the RPMs jump up to 600-800 and tries to crank up, but after multiple attempts, it fails out. It's happened about 5 times in the last 3 weeks. I'm scared to drive it anywhere. As of right now, it's not even pulling any OBD-2 codes. The only code I get is the one I've always had for the rear O2 sensors for the cats, but don't think this is to blame. The Infiniti dealership I used to deal with was the biggest disgrace to the auto industry and I now take my car to a Nissan dealership for the past 2 years and have to pay out of pocket, because none of this is covered under warranty. The Nissan dealership is saying right now that they want to replace the other 3 cam sensors and the crank sensor because the numbers they are getting from those sensors are erratic. This is very similar to the issue I had 2 years ago when they replaced the sensors then, and I don't know what would cause these sensors to keep going bad. When I had my car at an Infiniti dealership in Florida, they did a data transfer with Infiniti engineering and they had told me that per the computer of the car, it showed the cam and crank sensor numbers off, but when they looked at the sensor itself, they found that the sensor numbers were correct. They thought something was wrong with the computer itself, so that's when I took it to an aftermarket shop, had UpRev installed, and seemed to fix the problem. I was stuck out of state and had to have a way back home. I have no Infiniti dealer close that I trust and before giving up 800 bucks to have another set of sensors installed, wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were. The dealership said the reason for the sensor replacement was to 'fix the readings', and I'll trade this thing in before I pay the $1800 they want for a new computer. I've struggled with this for years. I thought about taking it to a non-Nissan/Infiniti shop to try to troubleshoot the problem, but don't want to end up paying a few hundred to get told the same thing. Please help. Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I may be stating the obvious, but if it can't pull data through your obd 2, and you've had it reflashed a few times, could be a bricked/corrupted computer, as Infiniti suggests.

I doubt these sensors are the issue, especially as you've replaced all of them. Assuming the wiring to them is undamaged, I'm confident the computer is at fault. Seems most logical.

Good luck, try ebay or a scrap yard for a used one to save some $$$

Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Not sure if this is connected, but my dealer had to replace my BCM because their computer corrupted my BCM after trying to reprogram an extra key for the car.

Since the BCM was corrupted, not only they had to order a brand new BCM, but also had to order a brand new steering lock because once BCM gets corrupted, the steering lock will not unlock due to security against theft.

Hopefully your issue doesn't spread to other issues in the car like mine where other parts have to be replaced because of a computer corruption. These things are very expensive to repair.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's been at the dealer, replacing the sensors... guess I'll see how long this will last, if it works