Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Here's my .02. I had the revup mod on the car and changed to the JWT pop. While I liked the look in the engine bay (filter's blue and so is my car), the sound is a little loud for my taste above 5000 RPM's. But the worst part is I lost a significant amount of thrust on the low end, and throttle response turned sluggish at low RPM's. The car is not nearly as peppy or responsive. Gas mileage remained nearly identical for both.

So, after 1000 miles with the pop, it's coming off this weekend and I'm putting the revup box back on. If you're not concerned with performance, just looks and sound the pop is the way to go. And if you're curious my other mods are a MD 5/16th, z tube, NGK iridium plugs, and an HR y-pipe among other things.

Anyone want to buy a nearly new JWT pop?
I've got a simple mod to the OEM airbox that may give you back a little of that induction sound and improve throttle response and upper rpm willingness to rev. I'll post something this weekend. I've been running it for a couple of weeks now.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^

another creation...cant wait

Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
+2

I don't understand people on here that give Dave **** for his adventureousness (is that a word?) when it comes to trying things outside the confines of normal thinking. I for one love it and appreciate the work.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
SIETESG

yup, cause of him I have the HR ypipe

Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaveB
I've got a simple mod to the OEM airbox that may give you back a little of that induction sound and improve throttle response and upper rpm willingness to rev. I'll post something this weekend. I've been running it for a couple of weeks now.
Where are you Dave? You promised..............

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
anyone got an older style box they wanna sell? I have a project involving this that I wanna try...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sexyrob
anyone got an older style box they wanna sell? I have a project involving this that I wanna try...
I do

PM me a price

Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my '05 coupe has the OEM Velocity stack. I was surprised to see it.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Do you have the 6MT? If so that's why.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah. i have a 6MT.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I posted this in another thread thinking it was this one - they are both same topic though...

Originally Posted by OCG35
FWIW… I haven’t had time to do any data logging, but I did run the OEM air box for a few days after the car got out of body shop and a 100 mile commute yesterday… I put the Stillen box on (for other reasons)… honestly I don’t think I will be going back to OEM.

I don’t doubt that temps will be moderately lower with the OEM box, but my butt dyno definitely likes the feel of the Stillen better. I suspect it’s the airflow that helps… low to mid range is much improved with Stillen. BTW, I’m now using a JWT filter with Stillen heat shield (I cant really tell the diff between JWT and Stillen filter)… the only reason I am running JWT is I haven’t had time to clean the Stillen filter after recent body work (it got real dusty/dirty and needs to be cleaned and re-oiled) + I’ve always wanted to try the JWT (never have until now).

I will still do a series of tests (later when I have time)… but I don’t plan to permanently use the OEM box - which is too bad, because the OEM fitment is much better and it actually looks better with my cover and snorkel because they are painted the same color (Stillen heat shield is pained a little different).

I’m not stating this to start a debate… its simply my opinion based on recent driving with both – take it or leave it, just don’t debate it… I’ll have “data facts” later, but regardless what they are I’m going to run the Stillen.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont really understand. so are u guy saying that a stock 06 intake runs better then an aftermarket cai such as stillen cai?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
its my belief that on our cars, VQ35DE's at least, aftermarket intakes do not do anything in terms of power. if anything, they seem to reduce power but increase sounds. most people here will agree that a stock 350z tube would be a better power option than any CAI out there.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by drikx
i dont really understand. so are u guy saying that a stock 06 intake runs better then an aftermarket cai such as stillen cai?
What we're saying is that the stock intake is as good or better than any aftermarket intake, not just stillen. The stock airbox is a pretty efficient design. Infiniti was designing a car to take on the BMW 3 series, so quite a bit of R&D went into engine performance. The only reason a Z-Tube makes sense is Infiniti also wanted a more upscale, i.e. quieter, ride, so the stock tube has baffles that suppress some of the intake noise, at the cost of a few HP. A Z-tube removes that hindrance and optimizes the intake system. Most aftermarket setups, including the POP charger, are susceptible to heat soak, which the stock system is not.

One of the reasons it's so hard to get any significant N/A gains out of the VQ is it's already running at near optimum. After you put in the Z-tube and a plenum spacer, you're basically looking at engine parts like cams, valves, and pistons to get any more real gains on the intake side. You can play with the airbox by putting in a different filter or a Rev-up box with the velocity stack, but those gains are very minimal and are mostly done for audial enhancement, not power gains.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by drikx
if you are replying to my post - I think you misread it... that's not what it says... however, I'm not going into any futher detail and wont get into a debate about any of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note