Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

03-04 airbox vs 06 airbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
03-04 airbox vs 06 airbox

here are a couple of pics of 03-04 and 06 airbox side by side. Just in case anyone is wondering how much larger is the velocity stack. I installed the 06 box today along with a z-tube.

I plan on doing some tests at the track in a couple of weeks between the boxes. Nissan put the larger velocity stack there for a reason. If it will benefit the non-revups who knows. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I wonder if a cone filter will fit over the velocity stack like the stillen. What do you guys think?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Do you feel or hear any difference? This is my next mod. I'm going for an factory-sourced Frankstein G

Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
is the 05 airbox the same as the 06?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Do you feel or hear any difference? This is my next mod. I'm going for an factory-sourced Frankstein G
I have not taken it for a drive yet. sounds a little deeper, but I don't know if it's from the z-tube or not.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by G35_FTMFW
is the 05 airbox the same as the 06?
I don't know maybe.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I plan on going to the track in a couple of weeks. I will try to do 3 runs with each box to compare.

I think the stack at the top is closer or almost touching the filter compared to before where it is no where near the filter.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think a cone filter would fit, but you can always try. I'd go with a K&N for the time being.

I'm interested in seeing the results of your tests, although I'd be even more interested if you could test total stock intake (04 box, OEM filter, G-tube) vs your 05/06 MT box, K&N, Ztube configuration.

This is the exact setup I've been planning to do, but I'm actually waiting to see the MD intake results before I pull the trigger.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Makes me want to take apart my car and see what it looks like now.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
wowzers that is signifigantly bigger, i would think being so close to the filter though wouldnt be too efficient but who am I to question them.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
wowzers that is signifigantly bigger, i would think being so close to the filter though wouldnt be too efficient but who am I to question them.
It's possible that the velocity stack's proximity to the filter is less than ideal. But air flows through a K&N filter in more than one direction, so it shouldn't really make that big of a difference.

Compared to no velocity stack, it sure seems like it has the potential to make a difference to me. I'm not sure why the engineers would have bothered with the design change if they didn't think it was some sort of improvement. Lord knows they aren't advertising the 05/06 MT velocity stack as a huge selling point.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Seymore
I don't think a cone filter would fit, but you can always try. I'd go with a K&N for the time being.

I'm interested in seeing the results of your tests, although I'd be even more interested if you could test total stock intake (04 box, OEM filter, G-tube) vs your 05/06 MT box, K&N, Ztube configuration.

This is the exact setup I've been planning to do, but I'm actually waiting to see the MD intake results before I pull the trigger.

Keep us posted.

I can do that since I have both boxes and tubes. I'll ask him (MD) about the MD intake when I go to Cali today. Hopefully he will have the dual g35 exhaust ready to take some video.

Can anyone verify if 05-06 5ats have the larger velocity stack or is it just the 6mts?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I can do that since I have both boxes and tubes. I'll ask him (MD) about the MD intake when I go to Cali today. Hopefully he will have the dual g35 exhaust ready to take some video.
That would be fantastic. Not trying to push, but if you could include the OEM filter with the stock intake setup in your comparisons, I think it would give even more telling results. Obviously, do what you can and/or feel up to.

Peace

Oh, and tell Tony we're waiting.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline

Can anyone verify if 05-06 5ats have the larger velocity stack or is it just the 6mts?
Just the 05/06 6MTs. The part numbers are different. You can buy that half of the airbox for about $80 new.

I agree, Nissan saw a point to make it that way and all I can think is that it improves throttle response. Since the 05/06 Revup motor has a high flow intake manifold that hurts low rpm power, the larger velocity stack may have improved the airflow in the lower rpms to help increase throttle response.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey Buds...

I have an 06 Air Box cover due for deliver FedEx on Monday... as DaveB was saying, you can get it new for about $80.. i got mine from Infiniti-Parts.com (Everything G35). I have seen a really sweet difference in performance so far with a Z-Tube, MD 5/16" spacer. I recently added an AMSOIL dry drop in filter.. my milage went from the typical 18 MPG to an average of 20.. but as high as 22 MPG.. hey.. I'LL TAKE IT! especially at 3.75 a gallon for Prem Gas!!

I think this velocity stack mod should be a nice boost to the incoming air flow.. after the obligatory ECU reset and recal!

I used to restore Alfa Spiders back in the day.. and Shankle Engineering had a really sweet Velocity Stack mod with the oval K&N dual filters... NICE SOUND and the Hemi head with those four stacks sang out like trumpets in unison!!! what a rush.. I averaged about 32 MPG outta that little four banger with Dual Weber Twin throat side draft carbs!! (ah yes.. I miss those days!! no ecu's and stuff to mess with!! )

Anyways.. i digress.. I'll let you all know how the new cover/velocity stack plays well with the rest of the car, next week...

asta later...

Old 09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Would it be mumber 4 in this diagram?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03-04 airbox vs 06 airbox