Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Change the color of my rims weekly....hmmm damn ideas

Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm planning on doing this to my wheels possibly this weekend. Is there anything I should know before proceeding? Any additional prep-work or tips you think would be helpful?

How long did you wait between each coat? How thick would you say each coat was? Was there any specific technique you found that worked well for you?

Lastly, what type of finish do your wheels have? I like the idea of Plasti Dip but not diggin the matt finish. I suppose I could go over it with black paint then clear coat; are there any alternatives to getting a glossy black finish?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stabadus
I'm planning on doing this to my wheels possibly this weekend. Is there anything I should know before proceeding? Any additional prep-work or tips you think would be helpful?

How long did you wait between each coat? How thick would you say each coat was? Was there any specific technique you found that worked well for you?

Lastly, what type of finish do your wheels have? I like the idea of Plasti Dip but not diggin the matt finish. I suppose I could go over it with black paint then clear coat; are there any alternatives to getting a glossy black finish?
For prep work just make sure the wheels are clean and dry. I started with a light even coat and got heavier as i proceeded. Between each coats i waited
approximately 15 mins.
Heres a few tips that i would suggest:
1. Make sure to spray some plasti dip on a piece of cardboard to ensure that its spraying properly. Sometimes the spray cans are defective and can spray big blobs instead of an even spray.
2. While spraying the wheels try to hold the can perpendicular to the wheels. Don't tilt it too much.
3. Shake well before starting and continue shaking can while spraying.
4. Apply in short bursts rather then holding on to the nozzle.

Plasti dip is easy to work with, if you over spray a certain area it wont start running as regular paint would. As far as thickness is concerned, i can't say exactly how thick the coats were, but just be sure to cover all the corners and edges. I went through about 3 cans of plasti dip, so basically one can should be used for one coat on all the wheels.

I used a metallic bronze on my wheels and sprayed one coat of clear on top of it. It wasn't too glossy but in the sun you can see the metallic sparkle. If you don't want a matte finish just get some glossy paint and clear coat it.
Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by ILL_G
For prep work just make sure the wheels are clean and dry. I started with a light even coat and got heavier as i proceeded. Between each coats i waited
approximately 15 mins.
Heres a few tips that i would suggest:
1. Make sure to spray some plasti dip on a piece of cardboard to ensure that its spraying properly. Sometimes the spray cans are defective and can spray big blobs instead of an even spray.
2. While spraying the wheels try to hold the can perpendicular to the wheels. Don't tilt it too much.
3. Shake well before starting and continue shaking can while spraying.
4. Apply in short bursts rather then holding on to the nozzle.

Plasti dip is easy to work with, if you over spray a certain area it wont start running as regular paint would. As far as thickness is concerned, i can't say exactly how thick the coats were, but just be sure to cover all the corners and edges. I went through about 3 cans of plasti dip, so basically one can should be used for one coat on all the wheels.

I used a metallic bronze on my wheels and sprayed one coat of clear on top of it. It wasn't too glossy but in the sun you can see the metallic sparkle. If you don't want a matte finish just get some glossy paint and clear coat it.
Hope that helps.
Sounds pretty straight forward, how long would you recommend to wait before applying the glossy paint over the plasti dip (is it still 15 minutes)? Are there any preferred brands? Does it have to be paint specifically for plastic products since it will be applied on the plasti dip? Any specific type of paint you recommend for a nice glossy black finish?

How long is the recommended time period to wait before installing the wheels back on? This is my daily driver so I can't really have it sitting in my garage while the wheels dry for a day or something lol.

I appreciate all the help.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
those look great

Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow - amazing. Thanks for sharing the info and pics.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by stabadus
Sounds pretty straight forward, how long would you recommend to wait before applying the glossy paint over the plasti dip (is it still 15 minutes)? Are there any preferred brands? Does it have to be paint specifically for plastic products since it will be applied on the plasti dip? Any specific type of paint you recommend for a nice glossy black finish?

How long is the recommended time period to wait before installing the wheels back on? This is my daily driver so I can't really have it sitting in my garage while the wheels dry for a day or something lol.

I appreciate all the help.
Let it dry for 15-20 mins so theres not wet spots before spraying it with paint. For paint i used Rustoleum but you can use any brand, doesn't have to be plastic paint. The plasti-dip acts as a primer and the paint sticks well to it. Once you're done, let the wheels dry for atleast an hour. If you're in a hurry you can always put a fan in front of em lol. When i painted them i left them out for an hour so its dry, then i carefully put em on the car and let them sit over night. Be careful when mounting the wheels, don't use any power tools or you might rip the plasti-dip near the lug nut area. Last and most important tip: Dont get high off the fumes lol, work in a well ventilated area.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
clean job OP..

Old 12-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I was too lazy to remove my wheels, can I just put playing cards around it like you did and start spraying. Of course I'll have to be careful but what are the chances of the spray paint actually getting onto the car?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
^ very good chance.

Its called Overspray

Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ due to the blow-by going over the cards, and around the tire onto the ground. if you did it on your car, it would blow around the tire onto the car.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 AM
^ wouldn't you risk getting it on your rotors as well?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
it's definitely not a good idea to do it with the wheels on the car. For all the reasons stated above ^ and also because you won't be able to get certain areas of the wheel, so you'll have to move the car back an forth. BAD IDEA!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM
How would you go about cleaning the rims? Would it peel when your cleaning?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Stock wheels painted using Plasti-Dip