UTEC by Turbo XS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC by Turbo XS

Hey guys, just wanted to share this with G35 owners.
We are taking pre orders now for the UTEC ECM being released in a few weeks for the 350Z/G35. For those of you who are not familiar with the UTEC, read below or simply ask someone running a Subaru WRX with one..
Retail is $1049 Get your PRE-ORDER in NOW!!

http://www.racemrc.com

TurboXS has spent the last couple of months developing an EMS solution for the 350Z Market. Fresh to the Z market we release the Z UTEC. This unit will be available for the 350Z and G35.

The Z UTEC is a Plug and Play Parallel Engine Management System. Designed to work together with you factory ECU. The UTEC gives you the ability to let the factory ECU drive the car under normal cruise conditions then take over when you are ready for the power in a flawless manor. This gives you like stock drive-ability with the advantages of a powerful stand-alone system. The UTEC allows you to maintain OBDII compliancy as well. The UTEC is unnoticeable to the OBD Scan process most states are adopting these days. In basic form we allow control over Fuel and Ignition Timing. Each control gives you 250 rpm resolution from 500 rpm to revlimit with over 10 different load sites. The UTEC will ship with pre-programmed base maps to help get you up and driving right away. In addition to having a pre-programmed base maps the UTEC has provisions for 5 different map locations. The multi-map capability allows you to use our remote map selector to switch between the 5 maps or stock mode on the fly. Your tuning options are endless when you can have a race map and daily driving map at the tip of your fingers. The power is all yours!

The easiest way to visualize it would be to break down it’s components into separate systems.

Fuel Control- The UTEC takes control of your vehicles fuelling at a define-able TPS point that is programmable. Fuel is tuned by an MAF offset table, a simple but effective technique. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF Voltage. The UTEC can also take in our optional MAP sensor to tune RPM vs. MAP or you can just use the MAP reading in your datalogs. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit.

Ignition Timing- The UTEC gives you complete control of timing. This is not done on the basis of offsets or altering the crank signal as some engine management systems use. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF or MAP which is optional. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. When you enter a value into the Ignition Map you are actually typing in Degrees Before Top Dead Center. The UTEC fires the coils based on these values. No more wondering if the stock ecu is going to advance or retard timing.

Knock Control- This feature allows you to help keep your motor in one piece. The UTEC contains default knock thresholds but can be adjusted at 1000 rpm increments up to 9000 rpm. It also contains a Knock Count threshold that allows you to define how many counts of knock before the UTEC will respond with a Knock Retard Step. The Knock Retard Step is the amount of ignition timing that will be pulled per knock count to a defined Knock Maximum Retard. Knock Maximum Retard relates to the maximum degrees of timing the UTEC will retard per knock event. When a knock count is registered the UTEC will hold the retard for a set number of crank cycles this is called Knock Retard Duration. The UTEC also has the ability to apply a global Knock Correction to the entire map once a knock event is evident. This will help ensure that you keep your high compression monster together. All of these features are the UTEC’s safety net. They should be used pro-active not as a reactive measure.

Datalogging- The UTEC Datalogging function helps you to keep an eye on your engines vitals. Using the logger gives you all the information you want to know about your vehicle. You can take multiple logs of your vehicle whether it’s simple driveability or all out racing. You can be sure the UTEC is keeping an eye out when you can’t. The main logger (Number1) contains rpm, map, maf voltage, tps, load site, afr, ignition timing, injector duty cycle, modified fuel (fuel control) and more. Logs can be output into text files or csv files for easy comparison. When the UTEC is used with a TXS Tuner model it can also supply you with w/b afr readings in your logs as well. Giving you the ultimate tuning package.

Remote Map Selector- The remote selector gives you the capability to switch between your UTEC maps. It also allows you to revert back to full stock ecu control on map 0 (when stock sized injectors are used). Maps 1 through 5 are your UTEC tunable map locations. Map 7 is your security mode, the car will not start. The car cannot be bump started or jumped when security mode is enabled

Software Upgrade- The UTEC will have periodic software updates to further innovate it’s tunability and flexibility. The most current version of software will be available on our website www.turboxs.com.

The Z UTEC will be ideal for both Forced Induction and Naturally Aspirated Mods. The UTEC has the ability to control things like Nitrous, Water Injection and More!

We will be shipping units out to selected testers in the next couple of days. We have been running them on our in house vehicles with great results. On a Z with test pipes and intake we are seeing 10-13whp gains and 9-12 ft. lbs. gains in the midrange.

Last edited by Julian; 10-22-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
UTEC does some great work for subies, hope this can deliver the same results for the G =)

Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Profile4
UTEC does some great work for subies, hope this can deliver the same results for the G =)
It will..Trust me...

Old 10-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the cost?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
What is the cost?
$949

Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Vic
with my mods (pls see below), how much HP gain should I get with UTEC?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by Vic
with my mods (pls see below), how much HP gain should I get with UTEC?
Here is a dyno chart from Jermaine@Turbo XS.It was his 350Z with only test pipes,STOCK EXHAUST,CAI and PLENUM.He saw 275 WHP on the final tune on a Dynapack.Before anyone says the Dynapack #'s are higher this is not true.I dyno's at 417 whp on a Dynojet and my baseline on the Dynapack was barely 400whp.

Last edited by Julian; 01-14-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 AM
The unit will also have software available either upon release or shortly thereafter that will allow you to raise your revlimit and speed limiter,as well as launch control and no step shifting.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:10 AM
UTECs are amazing. I have one on my 2002 WRX now with upgraded turbo and pretty much everything else. TurboXS is also a great company and have given me great support through the life of the utec, even sent me new mounting hardware for free when I messed up a bolt installing the kit. If anyone has any questinos about the quality of the utec, please feel free to PM me.

Mike

Old 10-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What else besides the unit do we need? Harness, sensors?

Old 10-21-2005, 01:11 AM
If it is the same setup as the WRX's, as I assume it is, all you need to buy is the utec itself, it comes with all new harnesses and so fourth.

Mike

Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Vic
daking350Z, How does UTEC compare to UNICHIP?
UNICHIP is cheaper than UTEC, I think UNICHIP costs $850 out the door.

Last edited by Vic; 10-21-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Vic
daking350Z, How does UTEC compare to UNICHIP?
UNICHIP is cheaper than UTEC, I think UNICHIP costs $850 out the door.
The UTEC for the price comes complete for N/A but for F/I you need a MAP sensor,for about $125 or so.
The UNI-CHIP is a good unit also,however the UTEC is more like a standalone and has many more features over the UC. The UC drives the timing by an offset variable applied to the crank sensor,where the UTEC actually drives the COILS and apllies the timing entered in actual degrees.So there is no more guesswork of how much timing you arer unning or if the ECM is advancing the timing map.With the utec your timing is absolute,meaning what you enter,say 28 degrees of advance to 6000rpms,thats what you will get every single time.Also the utecs stores up to 5 maps that can be switched on the fly with the addition of a switch.The UTEc also is user tunable,hence the name User Tunable Engine Control. The Utec will also datalog and give you readings of all the stock sensors and playback your last 25 seconds.Think of it as clost to a standalone as you will get, with retaining the stock drivability.
so if you ask me which one "I" would prefer, UC or UTEC...I would have to say UTEC,not taking anything away from UC. It just does more and is more tuner friendly.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Vic
yeah, I agree that UTEC hsa more features than UC. I live in MA, if I buy the UTEC from you, do you know other tuner that is closer to me to install the UTEC?

Old 10-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Cmon Son!
how many ponies would this give a stock/near stock vehicle??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UTEC by Turbo XS