Canada Serving Canada.

Ordering Tires from the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering Tires from the US

Thought I'd post up on what I thought was a good ordering experience. I ordered some 19" Toyo T1Rs from tiresavings.com.

Ordered them on a Friday and got them the following Wednesday, which I thought was exceptional.

And when it was all said and done, cost of tires, shipping, tax, UPS charges, everything, I probably paid around $1300-$1350 for the complete set. That's a big savings over purchasing them up here it seems.

Good deal.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I recently got 245/45/18 Mich. Pilot A/S from tirerack.com. They were just over $700Can total including brokerage... and install/balance (Wheels Direct in Toronto).

My lowest Canadian quote was $955 CAN.

I didn't have to pay tax or duty because I was in Mexico when I ordered them. At Canada customs, I filled out an E24 form. I showed a copy of the E24 to UPS and they refunded all taxes and duties.

A lot of people don't think about the fact that you don't have to BE IN THE USA to buy stuff in the USA dutyfree, you just have to BE OUTSIDE CANADA.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Interesting loophole. I will remember to keep that in mind.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow

I"ve been missing out on this for a long time. What do you have to show or provide when filling out that custom form?

I'm in the us a lot and this will be quite useful.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
NICE!

I know you said they were 19" but what was the exact size you get because i'm looking for tires as well.

AND

What do i need to do and where do i need to go to get one of these magical forms because i'm going to be down in the US in may. If i can save that much money i think i would buy my tires while i'm down there.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Another option:

If you are in the GTA & don't mind a drive.
You can ship to a US address in Niagara Falls NY
Then clear them yourself.

Here's the process:

1. Email Ann at usaddress@adelphia.net She'll ask you for some info and give you an address that looks like this.

Your Name
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls NY 14305

They charge $5/parcel & they are 5 minutes from the border.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

Here's the process:

1. Email Ann at usaddress@adelphia.net She'll ask you for some info and give you an address that looks like this.

Your Name
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls NY 14305

They charge $5/parcel & they are 5 minutes from the border.
Now that sounds like a sweet set up.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by bikesbikes
NICE!

I know you said they were 19" but what was the exact size you get because i'm looking for tires as well.
Not sure if you were asking me or not but ....

245/35/19
275/35/19

Old 04-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by bikesbikes
NICE!

What do i need to do and where do i need to go to get one of these magical forms because i'm going to be down in the US in may. If i can save that much money i think i would buy my tires while i'm down there.
Just ship the items while you are outside Canada. When you re-enter by plane, you have to fill out a customs form to declare anything purchased. There is a box that asks if you shipped anything home while away. Check it and add the value to your declared value. When you pass through customs, the officer will see the checked box for shipped items and direct you. You could always mentioned that you shipped something to make sure they didn't miss it. They will direct you to the area where you would normally make you pay duty. Someone will ask you how much the shipped items are worth in Canadian dollars, what they are, and when you left/returned to Canada (at least that is all I was asked). Then they give you the E24 form and stamp it. The whole process took about 5 minutes or less.

If returning to Canada by car, see above for the address to ship to. You may have a problem shipping there because most stores won't ship to a address that doesn't match the billing address of your credit card. For this problem...

TRICK #2: Most credit cards allow you to add an alternate billing address, call them and add the address as an alternate. Then the company should have no problem shipping there

Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r

Here's the process:

Your Name
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls NY 14305

They charge $5/parcel & they are 5 minutes from t0he border.
You also use UPS and have it sent to any UPS store free of charge.

Check the ups webpage. there are a ton around the border.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by sean_mcnair
Just ship the items while you are outside Canada. When you re-enter by plane, you have to fill out a customs form to declare anything purchased. There is a box that asks if you shipped anything home while away. Check it and add the value to your declared value. When you pass through customs, the officer will see the checked box for shipped items and direct you. You could always mentioned that you shipped something to make sure they didn't miss it. They will direct you to the area where you would normally make you pay duty. Someone will ask you how much the shipped items are worth in Canadian dollars, what they are, and when you left/returned to Canada (at least that is all I was asked). Then they give you the E24 form and stamp it. The whole process took about 5 minutes or less.

If returning to Canada by car, see above for the address to ship to. You may have a problem shipping there because most stores won't ship to a address that doesn't match the billing address of your credit card. For this problem...

TRICK #2: Most credit cards allow you to add an alternate billing address, call them and add the address as an alternate. Then the company should have no problem shipping there
Isn't there a limit depending on how many days you were out of the country. Isn't it usually 50 dollars a day?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by M6_G
Isn't there a limit depending on how many days you were out of the country. Isn't it usually 50 dollars a day?
IIRC - Limit only applies to duty free.
You can still bring over any amount & pay duty.

BTW, from my many trips over picking up parts, I have not been charged any duty; just GST/PST.
(even for Volks marked MIJ)

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I tried to do the paper work at the border for my body kit as it was being shipped on my return. They told me i had to be the one who shipped it from my location. Since i was not in California at the time they would not allow me to waive the taxes. I suppose if an agent at teh airport is lazy he won't care and you can get away with it.