G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07-08 SPORT owners - need help from lug nut hell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07-08 SPORT owners - need help from lug nut hell

Hey fellas/ladies,

I bought some 07/08 sport wheels for my 05x. Went to put them on and realized my stock lugs were not correct for the wheels. I thought I found the right lugs and bought a set on ebay but when looking at them they still do not seem correct (M12x1.25 mag). The lugs are beveled but the mount on the wheels is flat with no indent. Anyway.. I could go on but it probably would just confuse things.

So the help I need is one of two (or both) things.

1. Can somebody pull a single lug of their car take pics and measurements for me?

2. Can somebody send me their VIN so I can call the dealer to get a part number? (Or if you are uncomfortable sending your VIN can you call a dealer and get the part number for me)? I called 3 dealers and none would look up the part without a VIN.

Hope this is not too obnoxious a request. Thanks for any help.

Nate

Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Search result 1(has specs, site to buy from, and proper part number 40224-JK00A as well)

Good read about oem lugs plus pics

hope this helps

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ ah i took longer to search than VQ while i having this window open.... as usual

But at least this time i found a little extra with the thread with the sale site and part number :P

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar

...But at least this time i found a little extra with the thread with the sale site and part number :P
Show off!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys. The first link (at least the first page - still reading) is confusing though.

My 05x has conical nuts fitting into a conical seat (which seems opposite of the link).

The 07/08 Sport wheels have a FLAT seat. The shank style lugs I got have two problems that logically don't seem to overcome the flat seat.

1. The ones I got are the exact size that is shown in the link. The shank does not fill the hole the shank goes in. Meaning, it floats back and forth in the hole.

2. The conical tip on the shank doesn't seat INTO the hole since the seat type is FLAT. It just sits on top.

With a flat seat I don't see what lugs could possibly work. Acceleration/braking would make the wheel shift a bit and the bolts press on the thin seat wall itself. It just doesn't make sense as I look at it.

I attached 3 pics. The wheels, the lugs I thought were correct, and a diagram of what I am seeing versus what I expect to see.

The bottom line is the seat on the wheel appears flat - seems like a huge problem??

Thanks again for the help.

Attached Thumbnails 07-08 SPORT owners - need help from lug nut hell-07g35sportwheel2.jpg   07-08 SPORT owners - need help from lug nut hell-img_6185.jpg   07-08 SPORT owners - need help from lug nut hell-lug-nuts.jpg  

Last edited by natewood; 08-02-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by natewood
Thanks guys. The first link (at least the first page - still reading) is confusing though.

My 05x has conical nuts fitting into a conical seat (which seems opposite of the link).

The 07/08 Sport wheels have a FLAT seat. The shank style lugs I got have two problems that logically don't seem to overcome the flat seat.

1. The ones I got are the exact size that is shown in the link. The shank does not fill the hole the shank goes in. Meaning, it floats back and forth in the hole.

2. The conical tip on the shank doesn't seat INTO the hole since the seat type is FLAT. It just sits on top.

With a flat seat I don't see what lugs could possibly work. Acceleration/braking would make the wheel shift a bit and the bolts press on the thin seat wall itself. It just doesn't make sense as I look at it.

I attached 3 pics. The wheels, the lugs I thought were correct, and a diagram of what I am seeing versus what I expect to see.

The bottom line is the seat on the wheel appears flat - seems like a huge problem??

Thanks again for the help.
Those sport rims are intended for a hub-centric fitment (ie. the hub needs to have a very tight fitting inner lip which centers and supports the wheel, therefore the lug nuts merely compress the wheel to the hub since they don't need to locate or support the wheels.).

Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
But unless the hubs have some type of nipples that keep the wheel from spinning I would think the wheel will spin around the hub under torque (if the lugs do not center the BOLTS).

My concern is about the bolts being centered and staying centered. And perhaps I am making too much of this.

That is why I was hoping someone could take a pic of one of their lugs or get me a part number.

That said, if the 07/08 Sport has different hubs then the 05x then I am hosed either way.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
But unless the hubs have some type of nipples that keep the wheel from spinning I would think the wheel will spin around the hub under torque (if the lugs do not center the BOLTS).

NO, that's never going to happen. You only WISH you had that much torque.

My concern is about the bolts being centered and staying centered. And perhaps I am making too much of this.

Again, if you have proper hubcentric fitment, the centering is all accomplished there. The bolts merely hold the wheel to the hub.

That is why I was hoping someone could take a pic of one of their lugs or get me a part number.

kool gave you a part number back in post #3. If you google it, you'll see lots of pics (search is your friend!). This really isn't rocket science (no offense), you are over-thinking the lug nut part.

That said, if the 07/08 Sport has different hubs then the 05x then I am hosed either way.

No, as long as your hub has a lip, if it's not the right size, there are hubcentric adapter rings which will work just fine. I'll leave the proof of that exercise to the reader.

Thanks for the help!
See within

Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Ohhhhh OK, since I'm such a charitable guy ...

Straight off my '07 Sport:

Here's a quick ebay link that popped up. If they are truly OEM, they're a bargain!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Infin..._qi=RTM1062688

The following users liked this post:
mishmosh (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Wow, vqsmile you are the sh......t!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM
VQsmile - thank you so much. If I am reading your gauge right (mm), the third picture is quite telling.

The shank width appears to be a hair over 20mm.

Per my previous messages I said the lugs I bought ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/120753295447...S:3160&vxp=mtr by the way) have shanks that are 18.5mm and those shanks seem to FLOAT inside the shank seats.

If your OEM truly are bigger in the shank it would fill the gap thus centering the bolts.

The seller said their lugs were correct for the application but it appears they are wrong. I will attempt to get OEM lugs off ebay and will update when they arrive.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 AM
VQsmile - thank you so much. If I am reading your gauge right (mm), the third picture is quite telling.

The shank width appears to be a hair over 20mm.

Per my previous messages I said the lugs I bought ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/120753295447...S:3160&vxp=mtr by the way) have shanks that are 18.5mm and those shanks seem to FLOAT inside the shank seats.

If your OEM truly are bigger in the shank it would fill the gap thus centering the bolts.

The seller said their lugs were correct for the application but it appears they are wrong. I will attempt to get OEM lugs off ebay and will update when they arrive.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Sure, if I had the option, I'd go with a factory lug nut too, but my guess is those nuts would work as long as there was a proper hub to seat the wheels on. I think your major concern should be ensuring that your hubs are correct for the rims, regardless of how perfectly centered the nuts hold the wheels relative to the studs. I do hope you understand that even if you have the exact factory nuts like I showed, those wheels need a tightly fitted lip to rest on. If there isn't one, or there isn't one of the right size, that style of lug nut IS NOT designed to support the weight of the car on the shear plane (which is exactly what they'd be doing without a hubcentric lip to carry the weight). They are designed to work under compression forces ONLY!

Originally Posted by salvador312
Wow, vqsmile you are the sh......t!

mehh . . . I just had to make a really good showing to keep up with kool.