FS: Non Rev-Up Lower Plenum - Make your own MREV2 $125 shipped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Non Rev-Up Lower Plenum - Make your own MREV2 $125 shipped

Hey Driver world,

A few days ago I came up on a non revup lower plenum. I did the grind work myself and smoothed out the casting surface to create a MREV2-like part for 1/2 the cost.

It's been brought to my attention that I can acquire a 2nd one if need be. I want to put it out there to see if anyone out there would like it. I never used a grinder up until 2 days ago, and it's really a pretty easy process. The sanding is not that bad either. I know alot of folks want that MREV2 but don't have the cash to pony up.

Get it here for about a quarter of the cost. I accept paypal and can ship.

BTW the one I modified went on yesterday with the 5/16 spacer, like a million people have said, this combo is sweet and you really feel it.

***TO CLARIFY*** I will not do the grinding/sanding/polishing on this plenum. As the title states, make your own MREV2, I'm selling an untouched lower plenum

I can do the grinding on this one, but understand #1 you should take it to a professional, not an amateur, #2 I am an amateur and not a professional, #3 the pictures below illustrate what I am capable of, I dont know how to port match, I don't know how to get into the runners and make them polished, it will be a cheap knock off of the MREV2, #4 Item will be sold as-is and #5 It will take me hours of labor to smooth out the casting, I did not attempt to get into the bottom "bowl" area whre the "MR2" is, I wouldn't attempt it on yours either. As a result of time spent it will become more expensive.

Side not: I would rather sell it as is, stock and untouched.

Last edited by H0TEP; 03-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
got any pics of your work? and what exactly is your "cost"?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
This was the thread I referred to when taking on this project. I don't have a million pictures like him because I never intended to make it an educational project for everyone since there was already a shining example of how to pull it off.

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...-assembly.html

Cost to me was not that much. I purchased the lower plenum from a local 350z member who had it laying around. My buddy had a disk grinder and various grits of sand paper so he let me borrow what he had. Knowing that my lower plenum was coming off, I purchased a 5/16 spacer, ISO thermal gasket and coolant bypass, that probably costed me the most.

The paper can be found for very little at any random hardware store. I would say the cost more than anything would be your time. I was going to go crazy with the polishing but decided if Motordyne doesn't polish theirs I don't need to either.

I have a picture on my cell phone but it would be much better for you to check the thread listed above because he went even further than I did w/ port matching to the intake manifold and polishing the interior of the runners.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I ended up taking the front runners down a little more to ensure it would breathe a bit better. A you can see I didnt go crazy. I made it smooth and shiny but not mirror like. It was a fun project and a learning experience with tools I've never touched and parts I've only seen in pictures.

Driving Impressions:

I put this on at the same time as my 5/16, so I cannot credit the lower plenum for the increase but I do feel more power. Everyone has their usual routes they take whether that be to work or school, everybody has their favorite road where they like to floor it on the way. Down low the torque increase is very good. I have not red lined the motor since the install so I can't speak on whether it "falls flat on it's face" like others have said after 6Krpm but I certainly will give it a shot soon. I'm very happy with it and as other have said would suggest it to anyone with a rev up motor. I do not wish to upset motordyne engineering with this post either, I have tremendous respect for their vision and commitment to the VQ platform. This is a thread for the guy with two hands of his own who doesn't mind getting a little dusty for an increase in power.

Last edited by H0TEP; 03-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.