DIY: Satellite shark fin install with headliner removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by releasedtruth
BigD, Awesome install and great documentation, many thanks. I do have one question for you about the 'rear shelf against glass' setup. If one were to cut a small window in the tint for the antenna signal to get through, would that suffice do you think?

Guys are installing their Avic-D3 nav/sat antennas in the dash behind the glove box and I have no idea how they get good reception if just tint messes things up.
Thanks. Cutting a square piece out of your tint may help some but not completely and I have my reasoning, although I'm no rocket scientist. When I didn't have tint, I would still have some signal loss. After the tint, it was more often-than-not and annoying. The thing is, all satellite antennas are designed to be installed outside for a direct line of sight to the satellite in the sky or repeater antennas on the ground. I even tried to find a spot on the outside by the windshield wipers but could not find anywhere that was "just right" without the wipers blocking the signal if they were being used (plus the wire would not reach all the way). The nav antennas (like for the OEM system) can be installed behind trim and inside the vehicle because they use a different type of signal/frequency/band or whatever, not requiring direct line of sight. With the satellite one being placed at the back window, you're limited to about 100 to 120 degrees of signal or line of sight with repeaters. That is starting from the bottom of the back window glass, where the trunk meets, to where the top of the back window stop and the roof of the vehicle meets. Although it is glass and clear, I'm sure there is some signal loss with that thick of glass and UV treatment that it's manufactured with. The OEM (shark fin) antenna, is designed to be placed outside, for 180 degrees of possible signal and the actual shark fin cover is also designed to allow the signal to pass through it for minimal to no signal loss. Hope that helps.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've definitely done your research and it's great that you've shared that knowledge. As handy as I consider myself, I'm a bit loathe to tackle the fin. Something about how it changes the look just doesn't sit well with me. I've been talking with some developers about the possibility of an antenna that fits along the rear windshield seal, but the technology just isn't there yet. The desire for satellite may override sooner rather than later, though.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all that work for a tiny little antenna.

One of these would be so much hotter:

http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/main.asp?p=5_8

Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Damn thats a good write up!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
MSRP on parts updated.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 PM
so this only works w/ the Sirius antennas and not the XM's?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by DrrSeuss
so this only works w/ the Sirius antennas and not the XM's?
i just spoke with my local dealer and the P/N for the XM is INF 28208-EH000. the covers in his computer have "sirius" on the notes for the parts but said should be compatible. you can always order it along with a cover and place it on top of the antenna. if it looks like it'll fit and snap down, you're in business. if not, you're parts guy might have to do a little more research. obviously you'd need an XM tuner as well but install steps should be the same.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
RPL
Nice write up! looks great!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 PM
updated prices per Forte Data System.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone know if I can splice my aftermarket Eclipse Sirius antenna wire to mate up with this OEM antenna, as done in the DIY? I've checked with some of my A/V expert buddies and they seem to think it will work fine as all Sirius antennas should use the same signaling/technology within the antenna wiring.

Can anyone confirm this? If not, I will probably be giving this DIY a shot anyway and will report back with the results.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
very nice!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bigd2k6
Thanks for the comments. To answer your question, the harness that hooks up to the antenna connector is around 150 bucks, which is WAY overpriced and with mine being spliced, I have little to no signal loss except going through long overpasses. Splicing it shouldn't weaken the signal as long as you're not breaking off numerous single wires. There's no way to really measure the signal strength before or after, but if it makes you feel better, I can get a Sirius signal with my garage door closed with no cutout.
So I just received all the parts and am getting ready to try this with an aftermarket Sirius antenna from my SIR-ECL1 Eclipse Sirius tuner! My only question is around your splicing technique. There are two jackets and thus it seems there may be two conductors in the antenna wire. Did you simply splice it all together or did you connect each of the two "conductors" separately, and shielded from one another?

Based on your DIY, it appears that you just spliced the entire middle conductor together only. Is that correct?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
BUMP for my question below (I'd like to get this project completed this weekend)...

Oh, and I figured I'd let you guys know I paid about $145 shipped for all three parts from Tony@Riverside Infiniti!

Originally Posted by shdowflare
So I just received all the parts and am getting ready to try this with an aftermarket Sirius antenna from my SIR-ECL1 Eclipse Sirius tuner! My only question is around your splicing technique. There are two jackets and thus it seems there may be two conductors in the antenna wire. Did you simply splice it all together or did you connect each of the two "conductors" separately, and shielded from one another?

Based on your DIY, it appears that you just spliced the entire middle conductor together only. Is that correct?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Bueller... Bueller....

Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM

sorry it took me so long to reply. if my memory and pictures serve me correctly, the wires are composed of the following beginning from the outside.

1-your plastic outer jacket
2-a braided lead underneath
3-a thin aluminum shield
4-hard plastic jacket
5-main lead

do the following for each cut end. Strip about 2 inches of #1, un-braid #2 the complete length of the jacket you just cut. cut and discard #3 (same length you unbraided the other lead). strip off about 1 inch of #4. braid #5 together and tape off the splice. braid #2 then tape up the rest of the splice.

as you can see, the paper thin jacket is not necessary. take your time unbraiding #2 as patience will avoid broken wires. don't use too much tape to keep the splice thin. good luck. i also updated the DIY with the layers of wires..

Last edited by Bigd2k6; 07-06-2009 at 05:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Satellite shark fin install with headliner removal