DIY: Tollway users with transponders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: Tollway users with transponders

Living in IL, I had to get an I-Pass, (similar to e-z pass or sunpass)
Being annoyed with a little white box either on the windshield or around the dashboard decided to due a slight modification. By keeping it in the glove compartment (the one for ppl with no navi) it worked with low speeds I cut my i-pass open in hope i can fit the board around the clock area (unsuccessful). Since one side of it broke during the process i ended up with one plastic cover in which i placed the circuit board. I'm pretty sure unopened i-pass and other transponders will fit in this spot.

Inside of the i-pass

Original Idea:
Removed the housing around the clock in a (coupe 06) but that board does not fit in there, going to solder a cable to the board, at the end of what looks like reversed C in hope it will improve the signal, if the signal can be picked up just from the cable i will hide the I-pass and run a cable to the side pillar, otherwise it will be hidden behind the dome lights. Any input is welcome, thanks.
-- That did not quite work, what it seems to be the antenna of the transponder (reversed C) after being slightly scraped off multiple small holes were showing, so I gave up on the idea of soldering.

Procedure: for 05-07

1. Remove the (F) Cluster Lid Finisher Upper (Service Manual IP page 12) -- takes some force to get it out, pull it towards you (towards the back of the car)
2. Remove the (G) Cluster Lid Finisher Lower (Service Manual IP page 13) -- what i found that works best is starting at one side and proceeding towards the other with slight force the clips let go one by one
3. Removal of the clock along with the display -- might find it necessary if your transponder won't fit,
a) remove two screws on the center underneath the clock,
b) pull with slight force on the upper edges (one clip on each side) the display slides out at a angle
c) either set the display with the cable connected or remove the cable (if you remove it, you will need to reset the SRS otherwise the airbag will blink, the 7 times OFF to ON procedure for reset, with switching to off right after the airbag symbol turns off)
4. Right in the middle underneath the Cluster Lid Finisher Lower there will be a metal bar that holds the bracket for HU, that is where i applied some foam and fished a zip tie underneath it to secure the transponder

Applied some additional foam to the transponder on the edges, it might touch the dash
5. Secured the transponder and started putting everything together.

Tip for putting back together those two clusters, they suppose to be attached on the edges, while placing the bottom one first i was never able to make it "click" together with the upper one, which resulted in a gap on the corners, what i did was put them together and insert them as one piece.

Tests were successful, open road tolling and the toll booths work

Last edited by AdrianPL; 05-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless it's me some of your pictures aren't working. I just keep mine in the cubby since I don't Navigation, but I am interested in seeing what you have done.

Edit. I see the other picture now. Can you make it fit in the sun glass holder? They claim with Eazypass it will still read in the glove box if you don't put it in the foil bag that came with it.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Philly_G35
Unless it's me some of your pictures aren't working. I just keep mine in the cubby since I don't Navigation, but I am interested in seeing what you have done.

Edit. I see the other picture now. Can you make it fit in the sun glass holder? They claim with Eazypass it will still read in the glove box if you don't put it in the foil bag that came with it.
Mine sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't from that cubby, the exit ramps sometimes light up or they don't, they still trace you down by license plate and bill you for it but imo it rings a bell when a car goes through it at 40-50mph and gets no light, don't wanna get too much attention...

Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
I am using a sunpass mini, its just a sticker, I put it right behind my rear view mirror. Done deal.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
interesting concept, I have an ipass coming in the mail so this is of some interest

Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 PM
lets just say thing didn't quite go the right way... i pass fell down near the clock, somehow managed to squeeze in and landed behind the cd changer currently working on getting it out

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah i hate my little transponder too. Can't you just get the transponder that they mount somewhere on the outside of your car? I heard they're well hidden.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
yeah i hate my little transponder too. Can't you just get the transponder that they mount somewhere on the outside of your car? I heard they're well hidden.
those are mounted on front plates, the thing is i dont have plates on the front :| besides i would rather have a white one inside, than a ugly black box on the bumper, took out the cd changer and got the transponder out... anyone knows how to remove the sunglasses holder and the dome lights, for some reason i cant get it out and the manual isnt too helpful either...

Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I am not sure how sensitive this system is but I know they say to mount it atleast an inch or so away from metal. if it can go through the roof still that will be great when mounted behind the dome lights; completely stealthy.

I was "hoping" the whole unit would just fit in the sunglasses holder, but ofcourse not. do sunglasses even fit in there? I know mine does not.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by madmike1029
I am not sure how sensitive this system is but I know they say to mount it atleast an inch or so away from metal. if it can go through the roof still that will be great when mounted behind the dome lights; completely stealthy.

I was "hoping" the whole unit would just fit in the sunglasses holder, but ofcourse not. do sunglasses even fit in there? I know mine does not.
hahaha mine do.. well if you dont have navi put it in that compartment and check, for me it worked at low speeds 20mph... behind dome... i looked at the service manual but i had no idea how to take it apart, i'm pretty sure it would work just couldn't dissemble the dome...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
I have the plate-mounted version, as seen below. I cut the "ears" off where the mounting screw holes are and Velcro'ed it to the lid of my non-navi cubby lid. No problems with it being read in the standard or high-speed lanes.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just deal with it behind the rearview mirror. Most times I don't even notice it's there. Now if only they'd make a smaller transponder....

Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Wouldn't it fit on the stock grille right behind the emblem?