Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose Amp bypass, Keep factory sub

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bose Amp bypass, Keep factory sub

I have seen others post that they bypassed the factory amp and used their own 4 channel, and left the connections going to the factory sub.

I have a Alpine MRV-F345 amp just laying around from my old car, and would like to put it to use. I have read you can just wire up some RCA cables from the input signal from the factory HU and run to the amp (if this does not work, i'll get a LOC)

I have the wiring diagram, but without hacking up the harness, how can i remove the leads going from the Bose amp to the door speakers and leave the leads going to the sub alone.

And yes I know factory speakers are not great, but I already have the amp, and $3.00 worth of vampire clips to make the RCA connections, will upgrade speakers after I blow the factory ones.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 PM
From looking over the wiring diagrams, looks like on connector B115 there are outputs to a separate amp for the sub
Pin# / Function:
4 (from M41 HU plug) amp turn on
6 (from av-audio-03) switched 15A fused power
2 input +
1 input -
5 gnd

So if there is a spearate amp for the sub I should be able to use a Metra 70-7551 to convert the harness to RCA, run power from batt+, run a gnd, and tap into amp turn on lead to power the alpine amp, then use the non-fade output from the alpine and run that to the amp for the factory sub?

Thanks,
Pete

Old 07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're talking about the Bose system in the sedan, yeah there are two amps - one just to the side of the sub which powers the 4 speakers, and one incorporated into the sub which powers the sub alone.

I don't recall all the color combos, but you can grab every wire you need right out of the harness going to the amp. Amp turn-on is green with a yellow stripe, wires from HU to amp are g/r and b/y for front speakers I think, etc. Although I just got done replacing my factory speakers, sub, and amp, I didn't want to significantly hack up my harness either, so I stripped back each of the wires (leaving them still connected in the harness and soldered my to-amp and to-speakers wires in without cutting the connector off the harness.

You won't want to run amplified power into the sub as it has its own amplifier.

I'm not sure if the sub is reliant on the other amp for signal or crossover, though, so you might want to test by unplugging the amp and see if the sub still functions. Alternatively you can pick up an 8" sub that supports IB and still use your Alpine to amp it, but be prepared to exhaustively rattle-proof the rear deck (ask me how I know). Those seatbelts have internal parts that will rattle regardless of how well you do this.

Amp'ing the factory speakers will end up making bad sound (from poorly-constructed speakers) get louder, although you will lose the speaker eq built into the Bose amp (the output from the Bose amp isn't flat). Not sure if that will make them sound better, or worse. Either way, you'll blow them fast because they're really tiny speakers, speaking capacity-wise anyway.

Good luck!

Brian

Old 07-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed a 2 channel amp to power my front components. I just cut the 2 stock speaker wires going to the front doors and left the rest of the bose amp alone. I ran my own RCA's for the front components and only have the rear speaker balance on when I have some passengers in the back.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I pulle the clips nd the trim covering the amps under the decklid, there is the bose on drivers side, then the 8" woofer, then the amp for the sub. The one on the right which i guess is the amp for the sub, may be the box for bluetooth, I am not sure where that module is in the car. But I now know where the sat box mounts if i want to add SAT to the car.

The Alpine is officially rated 75RMS x 4, but the tag in the box has it at 103.7 RMS x 4. I was able to power my old explorers speakers fine with this amp, the G's speakers can't be that bad? Also not looking for max volume, I just like the clarity of the Alpine amps. I want to add the amp, PAC-NIS2 for my Ipod, and install a DVD player in the upper glovebox, then figure out a custom mount for the 7" LCD I already have to go in the upper dash storage. I have seen some custom mounts out there, but again I already have all this stuff collecting dust, might as well try to use it.

And if someone has the FSM for the 06 Sedan, PM me? If i don't hear back I guess i will get a 1 day sub to Infiniti pub's and download it.

Thanks,
Pete

Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
OK i have the entire 06 FSM downloaded from Infiniti Pubs. Now I have more pdf files than I could ever use.

I went to a stereo shop to see about a custom harness to plug into the factory bose harness, it was a no go. From looking at the plug it is a smaller blue plug 24 pin that links into a 48pin plug. From the looks of it only the center 2 rows of the black plug are used. I am going to disconnect the blue plug from the black plug, do some measuring, then hit the stereo shop to see if i can frankenstein something.

If they dont have anything with pin spacing that is close enough, I was thinking has anyone pulled apart the factory bose amp? Would it be possible to pull the connector from it, then insert some pins from another harness to make a amp bypass harness? Of cousre you would destroy the amp in the process. I looked online and wires may be different, but the plug itself is the same from 04+ there have to be some wrecked G's around here that the junkyard will sell me the amp cheap.

What I want to end up with is a harness with pigtails i can splice into that will plug into the factory harness. If i need to go to stealership, just unplug the bypass, quick disconnect the amp and take it in.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
Pete