Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Help: Bose Amp and Subs Install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Bose Amp and Subs Install?

I was wondering if I need a special rca convertor in order to install a 2 channel amp and 2 10'in subs to my Bose system in my 06g35 coupe? A shop told me I could not use a regular rca convertor, because the Bose system will blow? Is this true?

Old 07-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Bose

The installer correct in stating a regular speaker level converter will not work...it wont explode or anything though. Regular speakers run @ 4ohms while the Bose output is not. If you change your Bose speakers to aftermarket it will lose half the volume of the stock Bose. Don't worry coz JL Audio makes a product called Clean Sweep that converts your Bose signal so you can install Amps. It also has a built in eq and an input for an IPod or any other external source. This is the exact set up I will be using for the moment until I can save up some $ to get a Pioneer Z1.
I am working on my system right now and I will have a run-through with pics on it since it will be a d-i-y project. To give you a preview. The set up will consist of a 1 4-channel JL Audio amp, 1 2-channel JL Audio amp, Boston Acoustics Pro Series seperates for the fronts, the oem rears will stay for now. Either 2 JL Audio 8' or 10' subs fiberglassed into the trunk--it will be housed where the jack is and the opposing side as well. The sub size will depend on space constraints and weight.... I really dont want to upset handling dynamics of the G as much as possible. The 2 amps will go on the left and right wheel arches towards the back of the car-pedestal mounted so it looks like its floating in the air. I figured it will take me a month to finish doing it on the weekends.

Check the linhttp://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94k out.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gxtreme
The installer correct in stating a regular speaker level converter will not work...it wont explode or anything though. Regular speakers run @ 4ohms while the Bose output is not. If you change your Bose speakers to aftermarket it will lose half the volume of the stock Bose. .
Simply not true!
The best mod any us did on our Bose equipped Acuras, was to swap out the speakers. The drop in volume is not even noticeable. Why? Because the new speaekers (Infinity, Polk, Alpine, etc.) or much more efficient than the Blose.

Of course, you spend gobs more money and upgrade to whatever you want. But if you want to save some money and still make a difference, just swapping the drivers helps a lot. Granted, I have not tried it on the G car, but would not expect it to be any different.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Ok, just to let you guys know, I am not swapping out any speakers. I am just trying to add an amp and subs to my existing system thats it? Thats why I ask if I needed a special convertor or can I use just any rca convertor? thanks

Old 07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
dR6
Old 07-30-2006, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by fortified
Simply not true!
The best mod any us did on our Bose equipped Acuras, was to swap out the speakers. The drop in volume is not even noticeable. Why? Because the new speaekers (Infinity, Polk, Alpine, etc.) or much more efficient than the Blose.

Of course, you spend gobs more money and upgrade to whatever you want. But if you want to save some money and still make a difference, just swapping the drivers helps a lot. Granted, I have not tried it on the G car, but would not expect it to be any different.
I used to own an Acura MDX Touring Navi...look at the Forums....yes the speakers r one of the best upgrades u can make...what I said was you lose some of the volume when compared to the oem ones. You would have to crank up the volume a bit more when compared to the stock speaker. You misuderstood my point. The system I'm puttin in the G is from the MDX..... I understood the Acura Bose system quite well since I had a technician look at the Bose system and get the specifics on what is possible with it including rca mods straight from the unit itself. I even have the navi to video mod. In fact I have that unit still and actually wondered if it would work on the oem G35 Navi as well. The volume problem can be somewhat compensated by getting more efficient speakers and of course if u can find speakers that have ohm ratings close or equal to what the Bose puts out. Sorry if anyone misunderstood my statement previously I sure would not want to give anyone ill advise. I am in no way a professional but I have been doing custom I.C.E. work for over 12 years, including fiberglass work so I hope I can contibute something to my fellow G owners. As for adding amps the cleanest way to do it is using the Clean Sweep or the new Rockford Fosgate unit. It might be possible to just add some rca converters It might not just yield the results you may be looking for. Yes most oem Bose are similar but there are variances. I know that at least on the coupes one of the Bose amps is located in the trunk adjacent to the spare tire under the panel on the left side since I have stripped the trunk already. You can try to use the L.O.C. to hook up in line from the radio going into the the Bose amp. You might be able to pick up a 4ohm wire upstream from the radio before the amps send the load up stream to the speakers. This might be the easiest way have your installer check the impedence to make sure.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 PM
No end to what is possible for an improvement. The potential is there.
I agree, there may be a small drop on volume, but I think I cranked it up because it just sounded better than the Bose! I would never have bothered listening to the Bose at that level. But that was a test. There is certainly more to good audio than volume. I find the clarity of the Bose in the G35 superior to the MDX.
I am sure I will be making some changes in the future, regardless.