Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Lots and Lots of questions: Newb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Lots and Lots of questions: Newb

Hows it going guys? I have a few questions conserning audio for my g35 coupe. I know alot about cars and engines, but new to the whole audio and video feild. I am looking to put in new speakers in my car and i have heard good things about the MB quart speakers. I also want to put in Pioneer AVIC-Z1 unit in place of the factory headunit. Im not sure what kind of amp to get, but i want to get a good one so everything sounds good. I dont plan on getting any subs so i want to get the best sounding speakers out there. Also, the two factory tweaters up on the doors by the windows will thos be replaced as well?

So all in all i need speakers, amp, and i want the Pioneer AVIC-Z1.

think the speakers are 2 (6 x 9) rear and the 2 ( 6.5 ) rear...what are in the front doors?

When i replace the factory head unit with the pioneer one what will i have to buy for it to be mounted in?

anything at all helps guys

Last edited by Nismo G; 08-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm in the process of changing my speakers out too.... i went for the Alpine W200, either way you'll need to get a Double Din conversions trim piece and an AC controller, you can get those from Grubbsperformance.com.... as for speakers for the front i'm torn between the Diamond S600s conponents (you could prob. get those at a good audio store) or the DLS UP6 components... they're a little harder to find but i'm thinking of getting mine from a member on this forum.... you dont necc. need rear speakers.... you mite also want to get a PAC steering wheel integration deal, to make use of your steering controls a video bypass..... and a good amp.... mybe a JL Audio multi-channel amp... for your 2/4/6 speaker setup....

Old 08-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I went to grubbs performance and im looking at the stuff as we speak. Will the 05' and 06' Double Din Finisher fit in my 03? and also will the 05 and 06 ac control unit fit in my 03? will i need the double din bracket as well?

I also need someone to mention EVERYTHING i will need for this job.

If anybody lives in the tampa bay area and knows how to do audio on the car i will happily pay them if they can help me install the stuff.

Last edited by Nismo G; 08-13-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in a super good mood so I'll post longer and nicer than usual (the veteran forum members are now going "wooooowwww")

First, I commend you for taking the plunge and upgrading the audio in the G35. If you go to audio shops or listen to your average audio/video enthusiest (sp?) you will quickly become overwhelmed by what seems like a gigantic job of overhauling a very proprietary system (especially if you have the Bose system).

Second, I commend you for wanting to do things (in my opinion) RIGHT. That is, willing to invest the $ to get a new amp, new speakers, etc, instead of trying to cut corners.

That all being said:

The Z1 is a really nice head unit, it looks really nice in our car. Personally I think it even passes for stock. You'll need a bunch of little stuff to make the install a success:

You mentioned you have an 03. Grubbs has the 03-04 Double Din Finisher and 03-04 AC Control board, not just the 05-06. I ordered these from them last week (thursday), I have an 04, but they are backordered. I am going to give another shop a call on Monday and see if they have the parts in stock, and if they do I'll be cancelling my Grubbs order. Beware of Grubbs, they are almost always out of stock and slow to ship backordered stuff

You'll need an antenna adapter. A standard two prong nissan antenna adapter should be all you need to convert the Nissan diversity radio antenna to the standard plug that aftermarket decks (such as the Z1) expect.

You'll also want the PAC Audio Pioneer hardwired remote adapter. This lets you hardwire the G35 steering wheel controls to the Z1 so you can keep using the steering wheel controls.

By default, the Z1 does not let you watch motion video while moving down the road. There is a hack for it out there (pulsing voltage on the illumination wire of the Z1 rapidly within a time period), so you may want to investigate this. Note: motion video in view of the driver while in motion on the road is illegal... so bypass the Z1's safety controls at your own risk.

Some people will tell you that you need to run new speaker wire from your new amp to the speakers... I don't think this is necessary. Not to say they are wrong for this recommendation, it definately has potential to yield better sound quality, it's just not something I'm willing to bloody my knuckles over.... yet

I am a big fan of JL "slash" series amps, but the DLS amp lines are awesome as well. If you get an amp with a regulated power supply, you won't have to worry about a capacitor (although with you not running subs, this probably won't be an issue anyways). So my recommendation is look into the DLS reference amps and the JL "slash" series amps.

I will sing the DLS UP6 components praises until the day the cows come home... they are wonderful. Personally, I believe they are the warmest, most accurate and non-fatiguing speakers I have every heard. I REALLY enjoy them and when they get broken in over time, they really can push some bass. I was looking at plasmas over at my local Tweeter store and the guys wants to check out my car.... when they heard the system they asked what sort of sub I have... my sub wasn't hooked up, they were just hearing my DLS UP6s. I <3 them PM el_duderino here on the forums, he's an awesome guy with an awesome shop who sells DLS.

Other than that, you'll need a good amp kit for bringing power from your battery to the trunk where the aftermarket amp is, I'd suggest a fairly standard 4 gauge power wire. You'll also need a good set of RCAs to connect the Z1 to the input jacks on the aftermarket amp... I don't really have any recommendations here (just stay away from over priced markety stuff like Monster Audio).

Ummmm... I think that's it. Any questions?

Old 08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
^ that was alot of info at one time. I think everything is pretty clear if i were to run new speaker wire will i have to gut the interior for the process? Also, when im running running the amp kit..what is in the amp kit that i will have to run? I am also going to be running Unorthadox underdrive pullies..will this effect anything?

One other thing that wasnt answered though even though i have a 2003 will the 2005-2006 ac controler fit on it?

Last edited by Nismo G; 08-13-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
You'll need to run a power wire from the battery to the trunk to pwoer your amp and you will need to run a set of RCAs from your Z1 to your amp. Those should be the only wires you NEED to run the length of your car.

The g35 coupe's interior is fairly easy to disassemble. Pretty much for anything you want to run to the trunk, you'll need to:

Take off the kick panels, take off the plastic runners that go along where the kickplates are, loosen (or remove) the rear seat side panels (where the speakers are), remove the bottom part of the back seat, and gut the trunk.

Removing the side panels all together (rather than just loosening) makes it easier to work. And removing the back part of the rear seat makes it also easier to work with. Gutting the trunk isn't necessary, but it sure makes things easier (and it takes like 10 minutes).

To replace the front speakers you'll also need to remove the door panels. It takes me about 5 mintues per door panel.

When you get to the part where you are disassembling, we can help you more with that step-by-step process.

And running new wire to the doors is difficult because there is no easy way to get wire from the cabin of the car into the door itself. Running the new wire from the amp through the cabin isn't hard.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok so what are all the speaker sizes i will need? and do i replace the tweaters by the front window?

Old 08-13-2006, 05:10 PM
depends on which speakers you are looking to replace. Regardless, for the front speakers you will need to make some speaker ring adapters. The holes in the door are too large to mount most aftermarket speakers. Or you can buy a set of speaker rings from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
FYI about the MB Quartz, most say they are too bright. I have components in each door and they are very bright. They match very well with my bass which is very deep in contrast and are held in check with a Zapco equalizer. I wouldn't recommend them for a mid/high only setup.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the FYI on mb quart speakers. Also, thanks for the imformation on the front door speakers. What are the best sounding speakers for a mid and high setup? Want something that sounds clean but will provide good bass as well and Will i need to build any kind of small enclosure for the 6 x 9 maybe fiberglass? or are they fine without a box?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Most here like the sound of the DLS setup Amthar has already mentioned. I have heard many good things about DLS and never any bad. I would spend some time before money and listen to as many setups as you can before you lay down some cash.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 AM
..... i'm not certain but i think the DLS UP6 midranges speakers arnt as deep as other aftermarket speakers... so you mite not need the spacers....

Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
One other thing that wasnt answered though even though i have a 2003 will the 2005-2006 ac controler fit on it?
Nope, you've got to use an 03-04 controller - the 05-06 is different.

Nice post, amthar...yeah, wow. Seriously though, a lot of good info all in one place.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by sixthGear
..... i'm not certain but i think the DLS UP6 midranges speakers arnt as deep as other aftermarket speakers... so you mite not need the spacers....
the spacers aren't to accomodate the depth of the speaker - the stock speaker openings are too big without the spacers, so you are unable to mount the speakers.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 AM
If only the guys over in tech area for the engine were this helpful...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lots and Lots of questions: Newb