Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went to listen to Morel speakers yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to listen to Morel speakers yesterday

I went out to a place in Long Island to listen to Morel car speakers and was quite impressed. They seemed to be one of the best sounding car speakers I've heard in a while. Very smooth and great imaging. They even have a vary shallow 8" sub to fill in the mid/bass range even better, perfect replacement for the rear deck Bose sub.

I do home AV stuff and I'm getting a deal for Morel @ around dealer cost. That wasn't going to be my sole reason for choosing the Morel but after listening to MB Quart, Morel and a few others I have to honestly say that they sounded the best and smoothest in their price range.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for speakers to listen to in the Morel MB & Quart price range?

What do you guys think about Morel? Check em out @ Morelhifi.com

On Order:
"04 G35S 6MT Diamond Graphite, Full Aero, Navi, Sirius, Winter
Coming Mid October (Hopefully)

Old 10-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Re: I went to listen to Morel speakers yesterday

I've heard Morel (but only in the coax 5.25 size) They are very smooth sounding indeed. The Quarts had the best midrange definition, but the tweeters had a shrillness at the top.
I listened to some Focal's which are definitely in the Morel quality group (but in a cheaper price group).

Craig Ramseur
2003.5 G35C/Black Obsidian
Graphite/5AT/Premium/17"
vroom vroom

Old 10-12-2003, 11:07 PM

Check out Focal and Diamond Audio.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello: i've heard Morel's back in late 80's in a show car, its not your everyday spearkers, i mean that you dont see them alot around, speakers are personal teaste, what sounded good to you, is all that counts, i have ADS's in my car, they are pretty smooth and not as bright as Quart's, you can listen to ADS's on high vol. without hurting you ears, give them a try...s.w.

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance

Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 AM

im going to be using morel supremo tweeters and morel hcw 6.5" drivers....other speakers to check out are CDT eurosports, Rainbow Platinums (or any rainbow product), Adire Koda, or Seas Lotus Reference speakers. If you are not looking for a complete component set, check out Vifa, Scanspeak, or Peerless. go to www.madisound.com or www.thezeb.com to find more info on those brands. I would say if you havent heard the Rainbow audio or Seas Reference sets, you are definitely missing out, but i love the morels.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:14 AM

I think I'm going to copy my friend that has a lpg 25fna tweeter, custom xover, and 7 inch scanspeak revelators. It's a lot sound for the money. I still think the rainbow plat tweeter is one of the best out there, but the lpg ($30 each) tweeter is just as good for a fraction of the rainbow plat price.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 10-14-2003, 08:09 AM

cram, I heard the coax first and then the components (which I plan to use) and the difference was HUGE!. The midrange was even better than the Quarts and I agree about the shrill and that's where the Morel simply won out. Thought about Focal but I heard their service sucks.

Koni, checking diamond audio next, gotta find a dealer in NY tho.

G35audioman, where are you putting the Supremo tweeters? they seem to be too big, but I've heard only great things about them. I've used Vifa & Scanspeak @ home, didn't know they had car stuff. Have you hear the Morel components packages and you do you feel they compare to your suggestions. I'm not even sure where I can listen to all these different brands in NY.

I dunno if this makes a difference, but I wanted to stay behind the stock grilles everywhere (except rear deck for tweeters). Doing home audio/video everyday as my carreer I know exactly where to go to listen to that stuff. I just seems tough to find any true audiophile car audio places around me. Just like @ home, I also don't beleive that more $$$ equals better sound always. I've found great deals for home and would like to try to same for the car. It's all about the value for me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

On Order:

Old 10-15-2003, 01:59 AM

Vifa and scanspeak don't make car audio applications. That's why my friend made his own crossover. It sounds better then most expensive components out there. He just won first place in san diego IASCA sound quality last week.

By the way I'm also a home audio lover. Running Silverline audio custom SR-17 extended with a plinius 8200 and AH! cd player.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 10-15-2003, 06:37 PM

try boston acoustics new z6 line...

Old 10-16-2003, 05:18 AM

I will be putting the supremos in the kicks, flush, angled slightly up. It will not stick out in any way and will not interfere with the clutch.

If you are looking at morel components, i have heard the hybrid 6 set and they are very very good. They are cheaper than Quart's QSD line and they sound better in the upper end in my opinion. They have decent midbass, the QSD probably is better in that department, but overall, the sound quality of the morels were great.

Rainbow Platinums have one of the best compact dome tweeters on the market, and they have very good midbass and midrange as well, but they should since they retail for $2500 a set and sell for about 2000 on www.rainarc.com.

I would stick with morels in your case since rainbow platinums are ridiculously expensive. Although MB Quart has a great reputation, there are many companies that surpass them in overall sound and morel is a prime example of that. Go with morels

Old 10-17-2003, 01:38 AM

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions. I didn't realize that Rainbow went for so much. If I were spending that much $$$, I would be doing it at home.for my home theater. I'm still leaning towards the Morels. Now all I need is the car. It's no fun plannin a system w/out the car.

On Order:

Old 10-17-2003, 04:35 AM

I have the JL AUDIO XR 6.5 Mids and Tweets in Front and XR 5.25 COAXIAL they sound good. They are supposedly made in the same factory as MB Quarts with pretty good price range.