Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed (PICS INCLUDED NOW)

Scroll down a few posts, and i have now updated with pictures...enjoy

Hello,

Since there has been plenty of discussions around what is required to install a double din unit plus having a trunk install without losing your spare tire, the details below goes over what i did to my car.

I had custom install:
Focal K3P Components - custom kick-board fiberglass install for mid-range
Alpine Type-X 10" Sub
Precision Power 400W amp for components; PP 280W amp for stock rears
Alpine V12 1000W Amp for sub
Pioneer Z-1 Head Unit

So firstly, to clear all myths - you will have to purchase 3 things for the unit conversion to fit a double din. Check out the items here. You will need ALL 3 parts. YES, including the A/C control. It is a bitch to pay so much for it, but if you want a DD system, you don't have a choice! Plus if you are going to spend 5G's on your system, what is a couple hundred bucks???

So yes get that installed at some trusted place...don't do it yourself or you may lose your warantee if your install F's your system up. If you own the Z-1 and want the DVD operating while driving, all you need to do is turn on your headlights during the pioneer loading screen (appears for 1 second). Once operated, your system is unlocked!!!!

To save trunk space, i had my audio custom built with both my Power Precision amps staggered on the left side of the car and embedded down at a 45 degree angle. They both fit in the under-cabin where the tire sits - just lift the mat and you will see what i mean. My 10inch Alpine sub is on the right side and sunk into the same hole area with a custom mold. Thus, this will maintain the spare in the center. So my remaining alpine amp was installed right near the rear seats with a custom shelf that goes over the amp with carpet to match the stock interior of the car. I can still lower my rear seats and put in anything i need (i.e. ski equipment). hopefully you can imagine what it looks like (i will try to post pics in a few days). There is enough breathing room for the amps just as long it is not a hot day! Since my sub was close to my rear lights, i had to dynomat my trunk to reduce the rattling. part of the light casing still rattles, and if anyone knows how to eliminate this - please share your ideas. So yes - is totally possible to install a banging system in a g35c without losing much trunk space....i would say i still have 90% of what i started out with!!!!

Some caveats on having the Z-1 on the g35c.
The angle of the install is very clean and flush, but even with tilt functionality, the sun shining down at mid-day will reduce your viewability substantially.
In order to change CD/DVD you will need to put your car on neutral since the shift **** is in the way of things - there is no way going around this.
You may decide to buy a clear cover for your screen to protect it from finger prints - there are many sites online that sells the same type of film people use on their ipods/cellphone/PDA. I havn't found one made specifically for the Z-1, but there is one for Clarion that is close enough that requires a little trimming.
The voice recognition is very slow and almost not worth using in my opinion.

Overall the Z1 is great for all you folks who want an all in 1 system. the harddrive that stores your CD is great and is not as bad as what some reviews may say! If i were to rate the Z-1, i give it a 9 out of 10! Much better than the Eclipse Avn's and Alpine units ive seen.

Last edited by FRAICHE; 08-27-2006 at 03:35 PM. Reason: New Title to show included pics within thread
Old 08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by FRAICHE
Hello,

Since there has been plenty of discussions around what is required to install a double din unit plus having a trunk install without losing your spare tire, the details below goes over what i did to my car.

I had custom install:
Focal K3P Components - custom kick-board fiberglass install for mid-range
Alpine Type-X 10" Sub
Precision Power 400W amp for components; PP 280W amp for stock rears
Alpine V12 1000W Amp for sub
Pioneer Z-1 Head Unit

So firstly, to clear all myths - you will have to purchase 3 things for the unit conversion to fit a double din. Check out the items here. You will need ALL 3 parts. YES, including the A/C control. It is a bitch to pay so much for it, but if you want a DD system, you don't have a choice! Plus if you are going to spend 5G's on your system, what is a couple hundred bucks???

So yes get that installed at some trusted place...don't do it yourself or you may lose your warantee if your install F's your system up. If you own the Z-1 and want the DVD operating while driving, all you need to do is turn on your headlights during the pioneer loading screen (appears for 1 second). Once operated, your system is unlocked!!!!

To save trunk space, i had my audio custom built with both my Power Precision amps staggered on the left side of the car and embedded down at a 45 degree angle. They both fit in the under-cabin where the tire sits - just lift the mat and you will see what i mean. My 10inch Alpine sub is on the right side and sunk into the same hole area with a custom mold. Thus, this will maintain the spare in the center. So my remaining alpine amp was installed right near the rear seats with a custom shelf that goes over the amp with carpet to match the stock interior of the car. I can still lower my rear seats and put in anything i need (i.e. ski equipment). hopefully you can imagine what it looks like (i will try to post pics in a few days). There is enough breathing room for the amps just as long it is not a hot day! Since my sub was close to my rear lights, i had to dynomat my trunk to reduce the rattling. part of the light casing still rattles, and if anyone knows how to eliminate this - please share your ideas. So yes - is totally possible to install a banging system in a g35c without losing much trunk space....i would say i still have 90% of what i started out with!!!!

Some caveats on having the Z-1 on the g35c.
The angle of the install is very clean and flush, but even with tilt functionality, the sun shining down at mid-day will reduce your viewability substantially.
In order to change CD/DVD you will need to put your car on neutral since the shift **** is in the way of things - there is no way going around this.
You may decide to buy a clear cover for your screen to protect it from finger prints - there are many sites online that sells the same type of film people use on their ipods/cellphone/PDA. I havn't found one made specifically for the Z-1, but there is one for Clarion that is close enough that requires a little trimming.
The voice recognition is very slow and almost not worth using in my opinion.

Overall the Z1 is great for all you folks who want an all in 1 system. the harddrive that stores your CD is great and is not as bad as what some reviews may say! If i were to rate the Z-1, i give it a 9 out of 10! Much better than the Eclipse Avn's and Alpine units ive seen.
This thread is useless without pics

Old 08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
^^^^yes extremly useless

Old 08-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, Thanks for this length write up.

Sorry to tell you this and I meant no disrespect but you just added even more to this myths, cus you do not need new bracket, and no matter if you installing double or single din HU, you will need new stand alone AC controller and finisher, unless you fibergalss or somehow install it into center cubby, in which few member have done just that, myself included as far back as July of 03 when stand alone AC controller was unobtainable in US.

As far as not lose much of trunk space? simple 4080 box with amps installed in rear of back seat or underneath of rear deck will do just as well, but whatever makes you happy.

Edit...Just found Bing's (16psibrick) latest install, leave even more space in the trunk...wish I have more cash flow to do an custom install from him... https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/112447-one-more-g-install-ya-where-amps.html

And of course...

Last edited by limeg35; 08-27-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Here are the pics

Here are the pics...

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-trunk.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-sub-amp.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-right-side-sub.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-left-side-amps.jpg  
Old 08-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Some more pics

Here

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-high.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-left-low.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-mid.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-audio-right-low.jpg   2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-brabus-lights.jpg  

Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
One more - of the head unit

The Z-1 comes out pretty clean as you can see. And at night - the lighting behind the Z-1 buttons is a nice off-tone blue that goes well with the original orange lighting on the infiniti buttons...very clean.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35c - Pioneer Z-1 Installed-z1-headunit.jpg  
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
thanks for sharing... the z-1 is one of my choices for audio