Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Cellular Handsfree

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cellular Handsfree

Just wanted to check to see if anyone here had installed a handsfree car kit for a cell phone, and particularily one wired into the stereo so that it mutes when an incoming call comes in.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 01-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Re: Cellular Handsfree

My understanding is that is that the head unit has no mute circuit, so you would have to add an aftermarket mute that interrupts the signal from the head to amps (or speakers). I had an Audi A4 that had a mute circuit that I patched into and it worked great.

I wasnt ready to do all the work above on the G so I just used a factory cig lighter kit w/ a cord and put a button phone holder up high on the dash so I can see it ring if the volume is cranked and I manually lower volume with the wheel controls.
Works OK and looks good with graphite interior

Old 01-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a mute on some level.. the Nav system mutes the radio when it tells you where to turn.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 01-24-2003, 12:44 AM

Well, I have the Sony Ericsson T68i, and just received the HCB-30 Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit (not yet available for US sales), along with the Sony Ericsson Advance Auto Mute kit so that the conversations come the stereo speakers. I have an appointment with the installer in the am, and will let you all know how it turns out. Keep your fingers crossed.

Scott

Old 01-24-2003, 03:21 PM

Very cool ScottG61376.

..pestilence..

Old 03-18-2003, 07:45 PM

This is hands free when I turn to FM 88.3.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Black Interior Premium/Sunroof/Winter pkg [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

30927-113-1376_IMG.jpeg

Old 03-18-2003, 07:53 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice setup bro.
That black interior is lighter than my charcoal, I like it.
Also like the wood trim-- very classy. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

Old 03-19-2003, 01:34 PM

I have a Nokia 8390 that I just got the OEM Hands Free Kit, the guy that is install it is a Genius, and he knows the G so I will ask him if he can do it and let you know

Old 03-19-2003, 03:02 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahaha, so GetGo is using your pics huh? Well you get the kudos for the nice interior, and 'hands free'. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 PM

Yes it is a picture of your G. But mine looks the same with a mike I can attach to it. I can use the speaker on the back of the holder or tune in FM 88.3 to hear the sound come out of my stereo speakers. Sorry I didn't have a picture of mine just yet. Sorry Buddy...

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Black Interior Premium/Sunroof/Winter pkg [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2003, 07:39 PM

I'll post a picture over the weekend when I get some time.
Ha Ha Ha

Old 03-19-2003, 08:02 PM

ALL BE WARNED!!! I work for AT&T Wireless and I know a thing or two about cell phones. I would highly recommend NOT using after market, third party hands free kits. Manufacturers such as Nokia, Ericsson, Panasonic, Motorola, so on and so forth all have relatively strict warranties on their products, especially phones. This warranty is automatically voided once you use one of those aftermarket hands free kits with your phone, and yes the hands free that mutes your stereo is aftermarket and not approved by any phone manufacturers. These kits more often than not mess up batteries and kill phones, which the manufacturer than looks at and shrugs saying ooops, it is outside of warranty now. Most of these companies make specific hands-free kits for their models. I would recommend going that avenue. Just an opinion from someone who sees it everyday.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:39 AM

Dom,

The handsfree kit is absolutely GREAT!! I would not recommend anyone purchasing a phone without bluetooth. I simply get in to my car and the phone automatically connects to the handsfree unit, while the phone still sits in my pocket, with absolutely no physical connections to my car what-so-ever. The sound quality is so much better than the aftermarket ones available but of course you are paying for the difference as well (The kit was $200 + installation). The nice thing about the bluetooth kit is that if you ever switch phones, as long as it has bluetooth you can use the same kit with it no matter what brand of phone.

If anyone has any other questions regarding the kit, PM me.

Scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cellular Handsfree