Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Radar Detector Setups

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Detector Setups

I'm looking for some mounting options for my V1. I've seen mike's mirror mount and would rather have it somewhere even more low key. Any good stealth setups?

I was thinking maybe around the rear deck by the third brake light. Would it mess to much with the functionality of the RD?

Old 09-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could get the rear view mirror with the remote display built in, those are pretty hawt

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Even if he had the V1 remote display in the rear view mirror (which is not that stealth in my opinion), he still needs to hide the V1 itself. On previous cars, I've installed it in the 3rd brake light since I had a spoiler with a light or if there's a center headrest in the rear, I've installed it there. The range would go down a lot but it's completely stealth, even for passengers in the car. For states that bans radar detectors, it works well.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
what happens if they detect you have a radar detector and then cannot locate it in the car due to the stealth nature of the install? Do they send you on your way confused? Or do they rip up your car looking for it?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 PM
In the 2 states/district where radar detectors are illegal (VA, DC), you gotta drive smart. Doing a stealth install is one thing but if you ride your brakes once tagged from behind is a dead giveaway. That's why I don't like the rear view mirror V1 display since it's clearly seen from behind. I drive through VA/DC weekly and have yet been suspected of using my V1. Think about it, there are hundreds of cars on the road, how are they going to single you out as having a radar detector if it's unseen even if they pull you over unless do something like ride your brakes? Also, there's another +1 for the V1 arrows over the passport. I always know when cops are messing with me on the interstate when it goes from full radar to nothing from behind. I just downshift or coast to a slightly slower speed.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Here's what I came up with.

Mount
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/cat....cfm?focus=637

Remote display in mirror and box to cover up the V1 in the back.
http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

The mirrors are obviously not avaliable for G's but I don't think it will be too hard sticking the display behind the mirror.

I'm in NY where detectors are legal, so are laser jammers. Thanks for the K40 link but I'm planning on going with the M40 or M45 if it comes out soon.

How much range do you think the V1 will lose if it is mounted on the rear deck?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by amthar
what happens if they detect you have a radar detector and then cannot locate it in the car due to the stealth nature of the install? Do they send you on your way confused? Or do they rip up your car looking for it?
theres a difference between radar detectors and radard scramblers.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Alan
theres a difference between radar detectors and radard scramblers.
uh... ok? What is your point?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Espresso
In the 2 states/district where radar detectors are illegal (VA, DC), you gotta drive smart. Doing a stealth install is one thing but if you ride your brakes once tagged from behind is a dead giveaway. That's why I don't like the rear view mirror V1 display since it's clearly seen from behind. I drive through VA/DC weekly and have yet been suspected of using my V1. Think about it, there are hundreds of cars on the road, how are they going to single you out as having a radar detector if it's unseen even if they pull you over unless do something like ride your brakes? Also, there's another +1 for the V1 arrows over the passport. I always know when cops are messing with me on the interstate when it goes from full radar to nothing from behind. I just downshift or coast to a slightly slower speed.
I'm not sure how accurate their detectors are... I don't know if they can point it at the car next to you and have it come back negative and then point it at you and come back positive. Depending on the accuracy, 100s of cars on the road would not necessarily be an issue. Again, I don't know.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM
uh... ok? What is your point?
The point is that Radar DETECTORS are not illegal in my state, where as radar Jammmers are. So if I was pulled over and the officer had a notion that I might have a radar detector he can't go tearing apart my car trying to find it.

I'm not sure how accurate their detectors are... I don't know if they can point it at the car next to you and have it come back negative and then point it at you and come back positive. Depending on the accuracy, 100s of cars on the road would not necessarily be an issue. Again, I don't know.
Once again hiding your detector is not about getting in trouble, it's about being in the officers good graces when he does nab you so that maybe you can get out of there with a warning.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
My apologies, I assumed you were hiding the detector because it was illegal in your state. Most people go with a stealth install because they live in a state that they are illegal in. Someone else mentioned in the thread about radar detector legality, so this furthered my assumption.

If they aren't illegal in your state, I wouldn't worry about it. I have 3 friends who are officers (two city PD, one highway patrol). I asked each of them their feelings on people with radar detectors. All three of them said variations of the same theme:

"I'm going to pull someone over regardless of whether they have a radar detector or not. When I pull them over and I see a radar detector, it just makes me laugh"

One of them is very car savvy and said that he especially thinks it's funny when he sees a V1 or x50 because he knows they've got to be thinking "man I wasted $250+"

So, for what it's worth, my personal experience is that cops don't care if you have a radar detector or not. disclaimer: My personal experience may not be the sentiments of all cops or most cops.

If you're going for a stealth install for appearance purposes, that's why I recommended the rear view mirror install.

You haven't really said what your purposes are, but again my apologies for assuming

Old 09-23-2006, 04:03 AM
Hey no problems man I just figured it was pretty apparent. Only 2 'states' ban RD's and I do believe it says LI on my locations

I still don't think you understand my reasons for wanting to hide the RD. Yes a police officer will pull you over whether or not you have a detector, the thing is are they more likely to write you up rather than send you on your way with a warning? They may even be more likely to show up to the court date and more likely not to just dismiss your case?

This is will be my first RD but I have gotten 8 different moving violations for all kinds of things and I still have a perfectly clean driving record. I even for clocked for 115 in a 55 lol (when I was younger). I've been to court A LOT and have talked to many Highway cops/Motorcycle cops. I just think I'll have a better chance of getting out of it if the cop doesn't see my RD and doesn't get the impression that I am a cronic speeder.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by KulSecHskY
Hey no problems man I just figured it was pretty apparent. Only 2 'states' ban RD's and I do believe it says LI on my locations

I still don't think you understand my reasons for wanting to hide the RD. Yes a police officer will pull you over whether or not you have a detector, the thing is are they more likely to write you up rather than send you on your way with a warning? They may even be more likely to show up to the court date and more likely not to just dismiss your case?

This is will be my first RD but I have gotten 8 different moving violations for all kinds of things and I still have a perfectly clean driving record. I even for clocked for 115 in a 55 lol (when I was younger). I've been to court A LOT and have talked to many Highway cops/Motorcycle cops. I just think I'll have a better chance of getting out of it if the cop doesn't see my RD and doesn't get the impression that I am a cronic speeder.
ahh.. yes, that was my impression too (about how cops feel if they see a radar detector), but after speaking with my copy buddies, this doesn't seem to be the case from what they say.

Instead, they actually confirmed a very wise bit of advice that I read on here once: never break more than one law at a time.

For example, if your windows are tinted beyond legal limits, don't speed. If you are speeding, don't have a DVD within sight of the driver. If your inspection is out of date, don't speed. If you're speeding, don't follow to close.

They all said that if you are breaking 1 law, there is a good chance you can get out of it if you are respectful and they are not having a shi*ty day. If they catch you doing multiple things wrong, they are more likely to decide today is your lucky day.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:14 AM
^ ahh that sounds like good advice.

except I don't think there is one person in here who can say they are not breaking more than one law, especially if a window tinti also counts =P

so does speeding while having a radar detector count? you spoke to a couple of your buddies who cannot be held accountable to MOST officer's feeling on the topic. If even one out of 100 do not look kindly on RD's I'd rather not have one showing.

I've had my good share of run ins and I'd rather not have anymore period for whatever reason.