Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Trouble with USA Spec install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with USA Spec install

I have an Infiniti G35 Coupe, 2006, Bose Stereo, non-satellite, with navigation. I attempted to install the PA11-NIS. I disassembled the dash, disconnected the 12-pin plug in the back of the factory stereo and replaced it with the 12 pin plug from the CAS-NIS cable. I connected the cable at the other end to the USA spec unit. I then connected the other cable to the USA spec unit. Then, I powered on the car and the stereo. Then, I plugged the iPod into the free end of the cord. I noticed the iPod did not seem to be charging. When I changed the inputs on the factory stereo, there was no input which would play the iPod. The factory stereo did not seem to connect to the iPod in any way.

I am not an expert in this area, but it seems to me as though I performed the install correctly. I have included a number of pictures to show various stages of the install. I also tried multiple iPods to eliminate that as a possible problem.

I know it is difficult to discern whether or not I did this correctly, but has anyone had a similar problem? I really cannot see where it is possible to make a mistake.

Last edited by nickd500; 10-02-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 PM
make sure both switches are on in the box, and the input would be CD CHG (2 presses of the CD button) and you should have no problem after that, make sure all wires are plugged in correctly. I had no problem whatsoever when installing mine. Keep me posted on your progress

Old 09-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Getting access to stereo

I've tried searching but found nothing. Can anyone explain step by step how to access the the stereo to install an ipod adapter?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Old 09-29-2006, 01:58 PM
The PA11-NIS has two modes, one is direct mode and the other one is play list mode. play list only allows you to access 6 play list and i believe that in this mode the screen on your ipod is blank,, now as for direct mode which is the mode i use you will be able to function your ipod as normal and also be able to skip through songs from your steering wheel.. to do this the switch #2 needs to be in the off position or up position.. also by what i read it looks like you did not plug the power cable from the back of the stereo to the usa spec. dont forget to do that otherwise it wont power up you should have two cables that go onto the stereo , one cable from the car wiring harness that goes to the usa spec and then the ipod cable that goes to the usa spec and ipod..

Old 09-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I tried the switch in both setting, neither seemed to work. I also verified that switch 1 was set correctly. I don't think the USA Spec unit is functioning correctly because the iPod is not charging either. So it's not just an audio issue, it's a full connectivity issue.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:52 PM
dont take this the wrong way but are you sure you plugged the power cord that you unplugged from the stereo into the usa spec.. i know i made that mistake the first time because i was rushing and it drove me crazy for a little bit until i saw that it was not plugged in. also does you stereo turn on still..

Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
also in your first thred you said you posted pics,, i dont see any

Old 09-29-2006, 05:08 PM
some pics would help us help you diagnose the problem

Old 10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Pics are up now. I realize there one key shot that is missing - the shot of the cable inserted into the back of the factory stereo head unit. Also, you cannot see that the cord is inserted into the ipod, but it is. Notice that the ipod is not charging.

I'm just trying to cover all of the bases here. Thanks for all of the replies.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Ok ,,one more time by what you are saying and what im seeing is that you are not plugging the factory power cable ( i dont remember how many pins it is) into the usa spec y-cable if you dont do this the usa spec does not have any power.. two plugs from the usa spec plugs onto the back of the stereo and one cable which was unplug from the back of the stereo gets plugged into the usa spec. wire harness.. that is what i dont see you doing.. anyways i will take my chance and give out my number if you have a cell phone its a free call so if you want to call me i can walk you through it...

Vito 619-277-8412

Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Vito - I think your exactly right. I will try to correct the problem when I go home. At this point I'm optimistic. Thanks.