Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

For those of you who kept stock headunit and added speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who kept stock headunit and added speakers

.......how does it sound? I just want 2 pairs (for the doors) of decent speakers that will run ok off the headunit (needing a high sensitivity rating). I've been looking at ALpine 6.5's. Also are 6.5's the correct size or 5.25?? Thanks!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the reading I've done on this, I've seen that many people have thought it was a nice upgrade to the stock system. Just keep in mind if you have the Bose premium system that you'll need to replace the speakers with ones that are 2 Ohms (not sure about the standard audio package though)

Old 10-22-2006, 10:56 PM
I have the non premium system so I wouldn't have to worry and yes it does suck!!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Well like I said I'm not sure about the non premium systems, but there are a bunch of threads that go into detail about using different speakers with the stock head unit.

One other thing I forgot about was that you'll need some speaker spacers for your new speakers. Just look at the specs of the new speakers and see what kind of diameter hole you'll need and then order some from Zenclosures (mlg9770). He's a great guy and makes some great spacers. Here are the ones that I got from him

Old 10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Cool, I was just interested to hear how decent sensitive speakers sound off the headunit versus the non-premium setup which is really awful. I was thinking about some mid-range Boston Acoutics or Alpines, just 4 for the doors. What did you go with?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
i went with some infinity kappas since they were 2ohm components that fit well and were moderately priced. Sounds much better than stock.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the possible negative effects of using a 3 or 4 ohm speaker instead of a 2 ohm speaker? I have some Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.4 components that I dropped in the front and seems ok except that I have yet to hook up the crossovers. Would anyone know off hand if the Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.4 are 2, 3, or 4 ohms?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 AM
Well let me start off by saying I got a pair of DLS UP6's. I had the bose sys w/ the bose amp in the back. I replaced only one side of the speakers just to see how it would sound. The side with the UP6 sounded softer, maybe because it was a 4ohm and the other bose speaker was a 2ohm.

After ii replaced the other speaker as well, i cranked the sucker up. Was the aftermarket speakers clearer? yes. Did i get more midbass? yes. Was it like holy sh**, wow? no.

So i took out the bose amp and hked up my DLS amp. The sound quality imprved a bit. Then i had 16psibrick re-run all the wires and installed a new HU and some kicks...now i get the wow's.

All in all, yes there was an improvemnt if you swap out the bose speakes and keep everything else. BUT if you've ever had a system in your previous car, you wont be satisfied...if you're on a verrry tight budget, i've been hearing that the infiniti kappas comps are a good way to start.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
GOT MODS?
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
i went with some infinity kappas since they were 2ohm components that fit well and were moderately priced. Sounds much better than stock.

What's the difference between 2ohm and 4ohm? Will the 4's work too? Also, why is the ohm important?

Thanks.

tD

Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 PM
From my understanding a 2 ohm speaker will extract more power from an amp than a 4ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker in this system will work fine it just wont be as loud as a 2 ohm speaker will be. I think the only time you run into issues is when you are running a 2 ohm speaker of an amp meant to ouput 4 ohms, in that case you run a risk of over running (and risking blowing) the amp.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:21 PM
GOT MODS?
From my understanding a 2 ohm speaker will extract more power from an amp than a 4ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker in this system will work fine it just wont be as loud as a 2 ohm speaker will be. I think the only time you run into issues is when you are running a 2 ohm speaker of an amp meant to ouput 4 ohms, in that case you run a risk of over running (and risking blowing) the amp.

Thanks. Good info.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
To get the best sound out of upgraded speakers with the factory base head unit, go with the JL Audio Cleansweep. It installs between your head unit and amps and takes the signals back to line level. The head unit is equalized from the factory to make the best sound with the crappy OEM speakers. You don't want that equalization going to good aftermarket speakers.

The Cleansweep also has one set of Aux inputs so you can hook up an mp3 player or aftermarket sat radio tuner. The sound is FAR SUPERIOR to using an FM hookup. You will be more than satisfied!

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by steve465
To get the best sound out of upgraded speakers with the factory base head unit, go with the JL Audio Cleansweep. It installs between your head unit and amps and takes the signals back to line level. The head unit is equalized from the factory to make the best sound with the crappy OEM speakers. You don't want that equalization going to good aftermarket speakers.

The Cleansweep also has one set of Aux inputs so you can hook up an mp3 player or aftermarket sat radio tuner. The sound is FAR SUPERIOR to using an FM hookup. You will be more than satisfied!

Good luck!
Hey steve, how exactly does the cleansweep hook up to the bose system? I've been thinking about one of these for a future project. Do you just cut the front and rear +/- signals from the HU and go directly into this and then go to an aftermarket amp thus eliminating the bose amp? Also is the sound quality that much better to justify an extra $300 for one?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
JL Cleansweep

The JL Cleansweep only has 2 sets of preamp outputs for front and rear. What about outputs for the sub?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Well like I said I'm not sure about the non premium systems, but there are a bunch of threads that go into detail about using different speakers with the stock head unit.

One other thing I forgot about was that you'll need some speaker spacers for your new speakers. Just look at the specs of the new speakers and see what kind of diameter hole you'll need and then order some from Zenclosures (mlg9770). He's a great guy and makes some great spacers. Here are the ones that I got from him

If you use that spacer, are you still able to use the OEM grill cover/doorpanel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you who kept stock headunit and added speakers