Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Headlights not turning off?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Headlights not turning off?!

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster...

I've just recently purchased a G35 (or a Nissan Skyline 350GT as it's known down here in Oz) and I'm experiencing a strange intermittent electrical problem. My headlights occasionally refuse to turn off even after I've switched off the car. I have to unplug the battery to force the headlights to turn off.

If I've been driving around for a while (say, half an hour or so) with the headlights on, eventually I'll be unable to turn them off. Conversely, during the day if I've been driving around for a while, I'll be unable to turn the headlights, and the wipers, on?!

If I park the car and leave it for a while when this happens, when I get back everything works... for a while... then it happens again.

This can be very frustrating...

I thought it might be a sticky relay, but then if that were the case, wouldn't I only have problems with turning the lights off after they've been on for a while? Not both ways?

Can anyone help...?

Old 11-23-2006, 03:58 PM
i have the same problem, sometimes they wont turn off after i hit the alarm...gotta take it to the dealer

Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Just take it in...

Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Ummm... thanks...

Got any other advice aside from "take it in to the dealer"?

Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry, no advice.... but a smartazz explanation:

i guess the political ties to britain has somehow infected your vehicle with the infamous british electrical problems

anyway, where in OZ are you? i visited a lot of WA last january with my university

Old 11-25-2006, 02:43 AM
also, i just went to the nissan australia website.... where is the skyline???... i dont see it anywhere

Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be a bad relay that sticks or the body control module is bad. Those are just guesses.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
sorry, no advice.... but a smartazz explanation:

i guess the political ties to britain has somehow infected your vehicle with the infamous british electrical problems

anyway, where in OZ are you? i visited a lot of WA last january with my university
Uh, that's great... so all I have to do is force Australia to become a republic and theoretically my problems will be solved?

I used to live in WA (Perth) when I was younger but moved to Sydney in '88. Perth is great! Used to live 5 minutes from the beach...

Oh and BTW - the G35/350GT was never officially imported by Nissan Australia, thus you won't find it on the Oz Nissan website. All 350GTs are grey imports. There aren't very many going around down here... (yet)

Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
It could be a bad relay that sticks or the body control module is bad. Those are just guesses.
Thanks for the reply... so that's two votes on a bad relay...

What would the BCM have to do with the wipers & headlights?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot of things are controlled by the BCM. Without looking at the schematics, I don't know if it controls the headlights, but there is the auto on and auto off functions that must be controlled by something.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by derf
Uh, that's great... so all I have to do is force Australia to become a republic and theoretically my problems will be solved?

I used to live in WA (Perth) when I was younger but moved to Sydney in '88. Perth is great! Used to live 5 minutes from the beach...

Oh and BTW - the G35/350GT was never officially imported by Nissan Australia, thus you won't find it on the Oz Nissan website. All 350GTs are grey imports. There aren't very many going around down here... (yet)
I would MUCH rather be sitting on cottesloe beach right now instead of studying for/taking exams

Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 AM
A lot of things are controlled by the BCM. Without looking at the schematics, I don't know if it controls the headlights, but there is the auto on and auto off functions that must be controlled by something.
Oh I see, thanks...

I don't think my car has auto on/off, maybe the ***-spec cars don't come with it? I dunno... all I know is, that when it gets dark I have to turn on the switch to make the lights come on...

In any case, this problem hasn't happened in the last week-and-a-half or so. There doesn't seem to be any patten to it... damn this is bloody confusing...

I would MUCH rather be sitting on cottesloe beach right now instead of studying for/taking exams
LOL... must be cold up there too... we're in the middle of summer right now... yay