Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35

To those that wished you had purchased the navigation system. Or those of you that wish to add a LCD monitor to your car. Check this out. I simply cut & pasted what I placed on ww.g35frenzy. Alot of people have regretted not gettng the Navigation with the G35. I hope this helps

I. The 1st Project
This was the 1st upgrade to my car that was done about one year ago. I connected an IPOD to my car. I posted this link because you will need the AUX-NIS-II adapter. This adapter will allow the user to play sound through the factory BOSE radio.
http://www.g35frenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3817

II. The 2nd Project
I have recently to added some additions to my car. The end result is as followed

a) LCD Monitor that resembles the OEM model that comes stock with the car. The LCD monitor has 3-Video inputs and no Audio inputs. It can be ONLY be used to PLAY VIDEO.

b) I can play Video from the IPOD or Video from a DVD player to the LCD. Originally, I was going to connect an Pioneer AVIC-88 Navigation system to the LCD. I will not do this. I want to be able to watch the DVD or IPOD and have a navigation system operate simulatenously. Therefore, I am currently using a portable GARMIN GPS, I will connect the Pioneer AVIC-88 to rear view mirror in the future. That's another project.

Anyway back to this project.

c) The audio works as such
Source 1 of the BOSE radio is connected to the IPOD via a PAC-AUX-NIS-II adapter.
Source 2 of the BOSe radio is connected to the DVD via the same PAC-AUX-NIS-II adapter.

D) Comfort
Option 1: I can listen to the IPOD via the BOSE Radio (Source 1), while my wife watches the DVD player and listens to set of headphones. Option 2: Or I have the option to play DVD through the BOSE Radio (Source2). NOTE: I like option 1 because I love to listen to music and the wife likes to watch movies. This allow the factory radio to play music, but she can watch movies via wireless headphones.

E) Problems that were Encountered.
While listen to the IPOD via the BOSE Radio (Source 1), the music could be heard within the headphones. Problem: The PAC-AUX-NIS-II adapter was receiving both signals from the IPOD and the DVD at the same time. Soluton: Install a small switch that allows me to listen to the IPOD (source 1), but it disconnects the DVD signal to (source 2) of the BOSE. However, the DVD is still sending a signal to the wireless headphone's transmitter.

Here are the parts you need to get started:
1. Mobile Video for less LCD monitor $499.00 PART number Code=INF3569
http://www.mobilevideo4less.com

2. Myron&Davis DVD Code = AD215ordered the DVD player from them also $139.00. They were out of the other units so I git this one for a good price. It has a USB port to play files as well. I haven't figured that out yet, but the picture for the DVD is excellent.

3 You will need an adapter to play the AUDIO through the factory radio. I used the PAC adapter PAC AAI-NIS2 $90.00, which included shipping and handling

4. IPOD adapter that chargers the IPOD and allows the user to connect it to the PAC. This is cheap and easy to find. NOTE: YOu should use an adapter chargers the IPOD to avoid noise. I tried being cheap and originally had a connector that plugs into the headphone plug on the IPOD. I heard noise everytime I shifted gears.

5. Wireless headphones from AudioVox 139.00

6. Installation Cost: Well Let's say this was the 1st time the installer performed this project. They screen was missing a bracket which they had to customer make. I did not want to wait. Overall the installation was $600
The install was completed by Caton Radio 6328 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore, MD 21228 number 410-747-8667. Ask for Bryan

NOTE: The picture are in order from
Source: IPOD. Picture(50-CENT)
Source: DVD-player. Picture (Mission Impossible).
Source: iPOD & DVD-player The pic with the headphones attempts to show the IPOD is playing music throughout the car's RADIO on Source-1 and the DVD is playing through the headphones. Sometimes a picture is not worth a thousand words.

I wanted to have the ability to watch movies on the LCD screen and have the navigation play simultaneously. That's impossible unless the LCD monitor has Picture-in-Picture. In the future I will install a rear view mirror that has inputs for a Back-up camera. I'm going to install the AudioVox rear view mirror w/ Navigation system.

AudioVox Mirror:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...9947&langId=-1
Navigation System:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...5348&langId=-1
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...3220&langId=-1

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35-pic1.jpg   Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35-pic2.jpg   Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35-pic4.jpg   Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35-pic6.jpg   Aftermarket LCD Pop-up Monitor for G35-pic7.jpg  

Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
ya very cool setup

Old 07-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm

Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
To the OP...

Do you still have this setup? How's it working for you...mechanically and screen resolution?

I'm looking to add the same exact thing to my 05 G35x sedan. The website says the monitor is only for coupes, but surely they fit sedans as well?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WNClivin
Do you still have this setup? How's it working for you...mechanically and screen resolution?

I'm looking to add the same exact thing to my 05 G35x sedan. The website says the monitor is only for coupes, but surely they fit sedans as well?

Thanks

I don't think you're going to get a response from the OP. His last post was made on 12-01-2006.

www.mp3car.com has some screens for the stock navi location.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
sorry to say that OP's set up is sort of a waste, but that was 2 yrs ago so lots have changed.

+1 on mp3car. you can get a car computer with much more functionality for prolly less than what he paid.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice I'll check mp3car.

As far as computer functionality goes, by the time I do this At&t should have released the next Windows Mobile pocket pc with VGA video out. Will connect that to the monitor and Bose system for music and video playback, as well as internet and email use. TomTom nav 6 will serve navigation needs. The phone (HTC Touch Pro) can run 16gb micro sdhc cards for plenty of storage space.

Would like a VGA touchscreen monitor, or at least a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to control the pocket pc.

Thanks