Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Video while driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt they did this on a newer vehicle, as its more inconvenient then convenient.

The way the Navi works is it finds your location in the map. Then, it uses the speed sensor information and electronic compass to move you throughout the maps. It does occasional GPS 'checks' when the vehicle is moving, but it doesn't actually use the GPS information to place the car.

GPS maps are not 100% perfect, so if it went completely off of GPS coordinates your little car would spend more time off the road then on it.

The navi system is set up to only look at the GPS information while the vehicle is moving. This is why you lose your position completely when you disconnect the VSS wire. The car thinks its standing still, so it doesn't check the GPS information.

Originally Posted by garyjay
I'm thinking that likely, the NAV system in the M series is fancier and includes the dead reckoning system that would continue to track you while the gps signal isn't received. On the G series, they probably didn't include that feature. But with the new 07 G35, it's anyones guess. I hope someone soon with an '07 Sedan makes this modification and can let us know. Also, the color of the wires in '07 to cut and apply to the switch. Thanks for you help.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone figure anything out since the last post? I just got my 07 g35s sedan also and want to know which wire to ground to get my video up and running.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on the head unit your using ...... Some you can just ground out the e-brake wire and some you have to buy a module that you have to wire in with your head unit. Personally I use an external DvD player wired into my Nav screen, because my I wanted to keep the Bose system.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree that this may depend on head units. But that's why we are all here. We have those of us that can do this but need to know from those who have done this exactly how to do it. E.g., where is the wire located we need to ground, what color is it, etc. We are turning to the experts here that have done this and are far more mechanically inclined. Certainly Infiniti won't help us with this. I know it will take a while for a savy '07 Sedan user does this but there are those of us waiting to get that help to ground the right wire for dvd playing AND, for me the most important, what color wire (s) to cut un the '07 to bypass the speed feed to the Nav system so I can choose destinations while my wife is driving down the freeway!!! I hate having to pull over to the side of the road just to use the Nav system.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Well there isnt a standard color for the wire that needs to be grounded. It differs by head unit manufacturer. Hence what type of head unit. If you read the install instuctions, one wire should say connect to e-brake switch. that is the wire you want to ground. The head unit manufacturer is required y law to make it so that you cant use video while driving.The easiest way for them to do this is to connect a wire to the ebrake. Some head unit manufacturers go a step further. In order to watch video on a Alpine P200 you have to push the footbrake, then pull the handbrake, then release the footbrake for video to come on. if you pull the ebrake before you push the footbrake it doesnt work. They make a module that can be programmed to send different pull signals to the headunit to make it think you are doin that when the headunit is turned on. So you will really have to be specific to what you want and what unit you are using.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
And for the speed feature. I don't know. I just pull over.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Dan,

I understand what you are saying. I think most of us are looking for the wire to ground and speed feed wire to the NAV unit for the standard NAV unit in a 2007 Infiniti Sedan.

Thanks for your patience and help! Members are great helps to those of us who are still learning.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Banned
Dan,

They are referring to OEM equipment availible on the '07s. He is not talking about an aftermarket head unit at all.

The best bet would be to get a hold of a service manual for the '07 and find teh correct two wires, verify them with a volt meter, and then make the alterations.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Anyone have any ideas when our service manual will become available?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned
The '07 manual? Its been out for a while, I've had it for >4 weeks now. Someone was hosting it on this site somewhere for free download.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
The '07 manual? Its been out for a while, I've had it for >4 weeks now. Someone was hosting it on this site somewhere for free download.
They removed that thread. I saw it too, but when I went back it was gone.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Dont know if this will help any but I got this info from http://www.kptechnologies.com/. They make alot of Relays and circuitry for the G35s

Navigation "OK" Bypass Module (Premier)
-100% compatible with OEM reverse camera systems
-Equipped with an Aux output that can be used to either allow programming
while moving or toggle on/off an external device (DVD player, video
switcher, etc). Includes one mini SPDT switching relay.
-Emits an audible confirmation each time the aux input changes states
giving the driver confirmation of the status of external devices.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:34 PM
The following was taken from http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254

With the lastest website upgrade KPtechnologies has divided the Navigation 'OK' bypass module in to three seperate levels - Standard, Deluxe, and Premiere.

The standard module is the same module we've always sold. The deluxe module is the standard module and a relay to use in conjunction with the AUX output. The Premeire version adds an electronic beeper that provides audible confirmation when the AUX output switches states. The standard module itself (as of 1/1/06) contains all the software/hardware needed for the AUX output and the beeper, and the relay and beeper can be purchased individually if you wish to upgrade your Standard to a Premiere.

The Navigation ‘OK’ bypass module is capable of allowing navi input while the vehicle is moving in all versions. The standard version will require an additional relay to be supplied by the installer. The Deluxe version includes the relay, so no other parts are needed. The Premier version includes audible confirmation of the programmable output. The Premier module will beep once to indicate that the Aux output has been turned on, and will beep twice when the Aux output shuts off.

The modules output is programmable, with three different user selectable modes:

Mode 1: Toggle On/Off mode – When activated the output turns on. When activated again the output turns off. Each time the car starts the output is in the ‘OFF’ position

Mode 2: Memory Toggle On/Off mode – When activated the output turns on. When activated again the output turns off. Each time the car starts the output reverts back to where it was when the car was shut off.

Mode 3: VSS Bypass – When triggered it activates the output for 20 seconds. However, each time the ‘OK’ button is pushed the 20 second timer is reset to 20s. This allows the VSS to remain bypass while you are inputting data. However, when you are done messing with the navi it will automatically switch back to the normal mode. Please keep in mind that whenever the VSS is bypassed that navigation position will be incorrect, your MPG calculations will lose accuracy, and your maintenance warnings will not have mileage added to them.

To trigger the Aux output you must hold the ‘OK’ button down for >1s, release it, then quickly press and release the button a 2nd time. This prevents any accidental triggering of the output.

To program the module you must hold the ‘OK’ button down for ~10 seconds. When the button has been held down long enough the AUX output will strobe on and off 4 times (you can hear the relay click on/off if it is hooked up). You can then release the ‘OK’ button. Each time you press the ‘OK’ button it will increment the mode by one, and the output will turn on/off the respected amount of times (once for mode 1, twice for mode 2, three times for mode 3). When your desired mode is selected you then must wait ~10 seconds for the module to time out of programming mode. The programming value will be stored in EEProm memory meaning that it will retain its value even if the battery is disconnected or dies.

We also made a small change to the firmware the runs the module. The module has an adjustable output that ranges between 0-30S by turning a small **** on the top of the module. By using an exclusive new output technology we were able to make 'tuning' the module almost instant and full proof.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Dude KP technologies instructions are made for someone who knows the board circuitry already... Its not a DIY weekend project for the normal people

Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Didn't say it was DIY ..... was just saying it might be what they are lookin for. I don't do body work but it doesn't mean I wouldn't get my car painted.

Last edited by dan61177; 03-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video while driving?