Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

pioneer avic z1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pioneer avic z1

Hi, i have a 04 g35x sedan, just found out that its not mp3 capability with the bose 6 disc cd changer. I also wanted navi. So I see you get a double din kit, do I just get the finisher and a/c control or do i need the din bracket also? Also since the 6 disc cd changer will be removed, how can i put in the pioneer 6 disc cd changer with the avic-z1? Im very interested in this. I like this because then I can keep the navi cd in 24/7 and have 6 extra cds I can load quickly.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 PM
why would u need cd changer if u have the HD on the avic-z1 ?

Old 12-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by wuchen1
why would u need cd changer if u have the HD on the avic-z1 ?
oh ya thats right. so i can upload all my cd's and store them and then just leave the navi cd in there.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
oh ya thats right. so i can upload all my cd's and store them and then just leave the navi cd in there.
AVIC-Z1 does not require navi cd's. It has hard-disk based navigation. You can actually watch DVD's and use navi simultaneously. Just get an ipod adapter, and download your fav CDs into the HDD library. You'll never have the need for a CD changer, or CDs for that matter.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:21 PM
CD changers are so 90's! AVIC-Z1 should be able to play mp3's off of cd or dvd so that means you can fit 4.7 gigs of mp3 on a dvd. Why would you want to fumble around with cd's anymore. Plus you can get an ipod cable and listen to music on your ipod. Forget the 6 disk changer.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:18 PM
why would i need a ipod adapter if i can just put 4.7gig of mp3s on cd then just upload it to the HD? Then i can just listen to music. Is this navi also faster than when using a navi disk on other pioneers like n3?

Old 12-23-2006, 03:31 PM
why would i need a ipod adapter if i can just put 4.7gig of mp3s on cd then just upload it to the HD? Then i can just listen to music. Is this navi also faster than when using a navi disk on other pioneers like n3?
Can't upload mp3s to the HDD whether it is from a CDR or DVDR. The HD is not set up to record mp3s. You will have to upload them in CDDA(WAV) format. I have not tried to do CDDA format on DVDR, but it may work. The navi is definitely faster than the DVD based systems. Ipod interface is a bit slow, but if you have good playlists set up, it works pretty good. That is ALL i ever use on my Z1 for music.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by patman530
Can't upload mp3s to the HDD whether it is from a CDR or DVDR. The HD is not set up to record mp3s. You will have to upload them in CDDA(WAV) format. I have not tried to do CDDA format on DVDR, but it may work. The navi is definitely faster than the DVD based systems. Ipod interface is a bit slow, but if you have good playlists set up, it works pretty good. That is ALL i ever use on my Z1 for music.

wait so the only way to upload songs is with a ipod? is wav format even good quality? I dont want to keep a ipod laying around in the front to play songs off it. I just want them all stored in the z1 and just choose from the touchscreen when i want.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 AM
wait so the only way to upload songs is with a ipod? is wav format even good quality? I dont want to keep a ipod laying around in the front to play songs off it. I just want them all stored in the z1 and just choose from the touchscreen when i want.
You cannot upload songs onto the HDD with an IPOD. You can ONLY load CDDA (WAV) files from either store bought CDs or homemade CDs of the same format onto the HDD. From my experience, the quality is great with original CDs, but not so great with CDDA CDs burned from MP3s (skips and blips).

Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
You cannot upload songs onto the HDD with an IPOD. You can ONLY load CDDA (WAV) files from either store bought CDs or homemade CDs of the same format onto the HDD. From my experience, the quality is great with original CDs, but not so great with CDDA CDs burned from MP3s (skips and blips).
so can i make a cd with all cdda format on it, however how many songs can fit on a 700mb cd and just upload all the songs? why did they do it like this, why cant you just upload mp3 songs.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 PM
so can i make a cd with all cdda format on it, however how many songs can fit on a 700mb cd and just upload all the songs? why did they do it like this, why cant you just upload mp3 songs.
Good question...you might want to take that up with Pioneer.

Anyway, the average number of songs that can fit on a 700MB CD is 15-20, depending on length of songs. But these are the kind of CDs which I've had problems with in terms of quality. None of my original CDs have any issues. Not sure if you can find a way around that. Although some of the other Z1 owners have not experienced this.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Good question...you might want to take that up with Pioneer.

Anyway, the average number of songs that can fit on a 700MB CD is 15-20, depending on length of songs. But these are the kind of CDs which I've had problems with in terms of quality. None of my original CDs have any issues. Not sure if you can find a way around that. Although some of the other Z1 owners have not experienced this.

hmmm i guess i will just make regular cds and upload them. blank cds dont cost much i will have to try this once i get the z1. You sure your mp3s are atleast 192 bitrate? 320 would be the best

Old 12-24-2006, 12:49 PM
hmmm i guess i will just make regular cds and upload them. blank cds dont cost much i will have to try this once i get the z1. You sure your mp3s are atleast 192 bitrate? 320 would be the best
The ones I burned were all between 256 and 320, so that wasn't it. And my computer is fast, has tons of ram, and my burner has buffer underrun protection. Not sure why I have this problem.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Sneaker Whore
Would the video ipod work for the avic-z1? Playing movies not mp3s?

Old 12-25-2006, 03:40 PM
so do i need both wiring harnesses? The regular one and the other one since i have bose system

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pioneer avic z1