Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i just keep my headunit, and amp and replace the speakers and woofer?

I am looking at JL Audio VR600-CXi for the rear doors, and JL Audio VR650-CXi for the front door, and a JL Audio 8W3v3-8 sub to replace the sub on my o5 g35 sedan.
Will this work with the exisiting amp?
Will the sub fit on the deck where the old one is?
Any suggestions to my 1k investment is appreciated.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duplicate

dup

Last edited by vinflouen; 07-25-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: woops
Old 07-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
I didn't read all the responses but it seems like it is a bit expensive for that. I'll read more in the morning and provide more feedback. I've never heard of that deadener material either. Make sure it's good stuff. I'd recommend #1 Second Skin. It is a bit pricey but the quality is bar none. Rammaat is another one I'd recommend. Quality somewhat close to Second Skin but price is much friendlier.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Ok, now I am even more awake and can provide suggestions. First, JL is a great brand...the best? Not even close, but that doesn't mean that they aren't good. People dislike them because of their price. Quality does come with a price, but at the same time that price is more than what it is really worth.

I've had numerous setups and I've had single sub setups and people, one in particular, who told me straight out that it sounded better than JL Audio. Kinda looked at the guy with a "duh" look and chuckled. Most people only know about the mainstream brands out there. Once you get into the car audio scene, you will realize how many other products are out there and how much better some of these are.

Most people would say wire is wire. IMO, sometimes you just pay for the name. I personally prefer Kicker because their wire is flexible and really good. Another popular one is KnuKonceptz because it has a higher strand count.

As for speakers, if you're inclined to be about sounding good for you, and if you really want to use the capabilities of the RF 3sixty.1, then I would not install speakers in the rear, only in the front...they will get loud enough for people in the back to hear, plus it's one less amp you have to worry about, less wiring, and more money in your pocket. If you are interested, I have an RF 3Sixty.2. It's brand new in the box and I'm selling for cheaper than what you will find on eBay. I just don't have the use for it and I'm thinking of going another route.

Moving on, the JL Slash series amps are great, but depending on the price you can go for others. I like the PDX amps. Small, efficient, put out rated power. There are other amps I would recommend, but it depends on what you want to spend and how much you are going for.

As for subs, there are many more out there, it all depends on what sound you are going for. Do you want something that is loud? An SQ (sound quality) setup? SQ as in true SQ, where everything blends and music is flat. Or a balance, something that sounds great and can get pretty loud when you want it to? Most of the subs that I have owned were by a company called TC Sounds. If you are familiar with the Eclipse Titanium Pro's, TC was the buildhouse for these subs. From my experience and owning about 30 subs with over half of them being different, they all sound good, they all can get loud, don't require much airspace and get LOW. Another sub I have become very fond of is the Aura NS, though they are hard to find but are beautiful subs. Realize that more sub woofers doesnt necessarily mean it will be better or get louder or sound better. I've had numerous 1 sub setups, whether it was a 10", 12", 15" and even an 18" and they all have sounded great. I used to have this one 10" off 750w in 0.7 cu. ft. that had air leaks and it got almost as loud as 2 12" W6's off a JL 1000/1. Mine was in an Accord sedan (as with all my other subs) and his was in a Scion xB. Had I had a bit larger of an enclosure and no air leaks, I would have been louder with no doubt. And those who say 18's can't move as fast as smaller subs need to own an 18 and/or listen to one in a proper setup. I listen to all sorts of music and mine had no problems keeping up with the double bass from metal music. Low end was intense. And it is not true that 10's can not get low. I currently have one that I used in my car, but no in my room, that gets very low for a single 10. People thought I had 2 or 3 subs.

All these factors depend on the install. You can have the best equipment and if your install is crap, that is what you will get. If you have decent equipment and a great install then you will have a great system.

You have to figure out certain factors. As mentioned earlier, the type of music you are going for. Also you need to figure out if trunk space is important. In my Accord it wasn't at first, so I went with a 5 cu. ft. enclosure for my 18, but then I got another 18 and dropped down to 2.4 cu.f t. to have trunk space.

I recommend upgrading your battery under the hood, personally I'd recommend Odyssey. No need for a cap, either, but do the big 3. It's grounding some wires and kinda like the ones that are being sold, but all you need is a wire from the chassis to the battery negative, engine block to battery negative, and alternator positive to battery positive.

For deadener, I will only use Second Skin (www.secondskinaudio.com). Great products, much better than Dynamat Xtreme (I've used that and it's not as great of a product since it's thinner and tacks on too quickly so if you mess up, it's harder to remove and put back on in the correct location). Here is a link to various tests with several deadeners: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Good choice on the wheel wells, I definitely recommend it. With my Accord it made a big difference. Check out one of the threads I posted in in regards to deadening. I think it's called "Deadening the G" or something like that. If you want to go all out, I'd recommend doing the firewall as well.

Not sure if I touched up on speakers, but depending on the price you are paying for the ones you are getting you can probably get better ones.

Check several shops around you and see what they recommend and price you. Make sure you do your research and do it right the first time so that you aren't disappointed or have the thought of "I wish I had done this instead". Check out www.diymobileaudio.com/forum

It's a great forum, and those guys are more into SQ than loud bass, though there are a good amount of people who like the ability to get loud and sound good. If you want strictly loud, check out www.caraudio.com/forum but beware, many of them are *******s so don't let them get to you if they come off as jerks. Check the DIYMA meets section on the diymobileaudio forum. Maybe there is one near you and you can attend and get a better listen at what others are doing and they can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^good info as always don.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks

Just to clarify, if you like the way JL's sound (I personally do), I'd recommend getting the products yourself as Godfather stated. Check out Craigslist or ebay (for craigslist try out craigslist reader from download.com, very helpful). And get quotes from several places for the install and see what kinda work they do, what products they offer, etc. That's what I'm doing. I don't want to work on the car myself, although it would be nice, but replacement parts aren't as cheap as Honda. I don't think you would be displeased with that setup, I just think the cost is too much. I'm assuming you can get it for half that include install, or at least knock down 1k - 1.5k.