Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone mounted SAT antennae inside?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone mounted SAT antennae inside?

When I bought my g coupe it came with the Sirrius SAT radio, but the antennae taped to the roof was the most hideous thing I have seen on a car. A carppy after thought slapped on the roof (not even color coded with the car and a horrible strip of conductor tape over the wire!!)

So my dealer took the antennae off and tucked the wires away. Now I want to get an after market antennae and mount it on the rear deck on the interrior.

Has anyone done this or known anyone that has done this. Oh yeah....I also have 35% tint on my windows.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 11-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone mounted SAT antennae inside?

I've heard others have done this.. as long as your tint is not the metalllic kind, it should work fine. If that 35% tint is metallic, it's probably going to screw with reception.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 AM

I mounted mine inside. It is kind of hard to explain where I mounted it. I think it is where the 3rd brake light would have been had I not gotten the spoiler. So basically it is underneath plastic and the rear window, which by the way has a metallic tint on it. I mounted it on the trunk lid before mounting it inside the vehicle and I can not tell any difference in reception. hope this helps.

Louis

----------------------
2004 Diamond Graphite Sedan

Old 11-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Yes that definitely helps.

My tint is not metallic so I should be in good shape.

What is frustrating me now is that my Infiniti dealer nor Best Buy is willing to work with me on installing the intannae on the interior. They are refusing to do it saying it will not work. I guess I am going to have to consider doing this myself.

My next question is what type of connector does the stock sat radio use to connecto to the antennae. They guys at Best Buy are telling me the connector will be different than the after market antennae that they sell.

Thanks for all of the help!

Old 11-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try contacting Grubbs Infiniti www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com. They're in Dallas, but they sell Infiniti parts online. They have one or two aftermarket antennas for the OEM sat radio. I'm guessing there's someone in their service dept. with more knowledge of Infiniti SAT radios than the people you talked to at Best Buy.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-24-2003, 05:16 PM

I removed the plastic cover of the child seat anchor and my antenna is stuck on the metal(magnetized).Reception is pretty good but not as good as my Z's XM where the antenna is attached to the rear strut bar right under the wide rear window.My Murano's antenna in on the roof.Reception between the Murano and Z is similar.BTW, the G and the Z are not tinted.

2003.5 G35
2003 350Z
2003 Murano SL

Old 11-24-2003, 09:09 PM

Mine is XM, but the connector, I beleive, is a standard XM connector. It has 2 wires with a yellow connector on one and a green on the other. so I would imagine that the sirius one is a standard connector as well, I can't see them using standards on XM and proprietary on Siruis. Installing it is not tough at all. I am really surprised no one will move it for you. I would imagine if you told circuit city that you were willing to pay for the re-re-install if they are right and it will not work inside the vehicle, then they would be more than happy to install it inside.

----------------------
2004 Diamond Graphite Sedan

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2003, 01:23 PM

i've had my antenna mounted inside for 6 months with no problems (XM not sirius). not sure if you will do as well with sirius or not. XM has geostationary satellites plus many ground repeaters to cover areas without good southern exposure. as far as the antenna goes it's easy to install. just plug it in and run the wire to the cargo shelf. do you still have the receiver? or are you buying a new one? if you buy a new one it will come with an anetnna. i used the stock antenna mounted on my rear cargo shelf with the wires run behind the rear fold down seat and under the molding around the wall between the trunk and the car.

2003.5 G35C 6MT Laser Red
Premium/SunRoof/Aero/XM