Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Speaker and install time question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Gilley do you splice the RCA wires into the head unit harness or the speaker wire harness to run the front door and rear deck speakers?
I believe in the example he gave you'd splice into the wires coming from the HU and feed those RCA's to your aftermarket amp's rca input. From there you'd run the speaker wires from your amp to the front speakers and rear deck.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Now the wires that are comming directly from the headunit basically means you have to remove the head unit itself access theme or is there a harness located somehere thats more easy?
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
I believe in the example he gave you'd splice into the wires coming from the HU and feed those RCA's to your aftermarket amp's rca input. From there you'd run the speaker wires from your amp to the front speakers and rear deck.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
You can splice into them from the trunk where the stock Bose amp is located. If you remove the trunk liner and the spare tire, you'll see the plastic covering on the left that hides the amp. From there you can follow the color coding that Gilley so nicely provided to figure out which color speaker wire you need to splice into.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Now the wires that are comming directly from the headunit basically means you have to remove the head unit itself access theme or is there a harness located somehere thats more easy?
At the bose amp in the trunk, there are two harnesses. One harness comes from the head unit. On this harness, you will snip the appropriate wires and solder or crimp them to the wire ends of an RCA cable. You will then plug the RCA cables into your amp, or other signal processor.

Coming out of the amp, you can snip the wires from the second harness that leads to the speakers and connect them to the appropriate output connection of your amp. So you are simply replacing the Bose amp with your amp. You may need to lengthen some of the wires with new wire, depending on where you mount the amp, but it work the same.

The Bose 6x9's are the "subwoofers" of the bose system. They bose amp takes the 4 channel input and splits the signal into 6 channels of output. I removed the 6x9's altogether to allow bass from the trunk to enter the cabin better.

I ran power to new side panel speakers in the rear, but they are set to really low levels. Some people only run front speakers and a sub.

Jayjay, I understand your situation. If you have already bought the double DIN kit, then you should go ahead and install it using the Bose amp and speakers. The Bose amp normally receives a 2 to 2.5 volt input, so you may not have much problem connecting your new head unit to the bose amp using some sort of interface. I've never done that, so I can't reccommend anything for you there. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah I know where the amp is but I just needed someone to clarify exactly where to splice into to run aftermarket speakers and a line output converter or splice RCA plugs from to run a 300/4 amp. Check out my custom sub enclosure which I did on my own
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/144326-system-teaser-pics.html
I was able to find the outputs for the hi/lo converter to run the subwoofer amp but evry thread made it so difficult to run the doors and deck speakers that I am holding up on doing that install. Looks like I can finally finish my car audio project this weekend!

Originally Posted by Dakkerz
You can splice into them from the trunk where the stock Bose amp is located. If you remove the trunk liner and the spare tire, you'll see the plastic covering on the left that hides the amp. From there you can follow the color coding that Gilley so nicely provided to figure out which color speaker wire you need to splice into.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
The Bose 6x9's are the "subwoofers" of the bose system. They bose amp takes the 4 channel input and splits the signal into 6 channels of output. I removed the 6x9's altogether to allow bass from the trunk to enter the cabin better.

I ran power to new side panel speakers in the rear, but they are set to really low levels. Some people only run front speakers and a sub.
Ok, I was pretty sure it went from 4 to 6. Thanks for the info. All I need now is to find a DLS dealer.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Gilley thanks. Two other questions, the harness I am using for my first line output converter for the subwoofer amp is this the same harness I can find the speaker wires for the rear deck and front door speakers? And the other question is I have navigation and will I loose "Veronica's" (navigation) voice when I take the amp out completely?
Originally Posted by Gilley
At the bose amp in the trunk, there are two harnesses. One harness comes from the head unit. On this harness, you will snip the appropriate wires and solder or crimp them to the wire ends of an RCA cable. You will then plug the RCA cables into your amp, or other signal processor.

Coming out of the amp, you can snip the wires from the second harness that leads to the speakers and connect them to the appropriate output connection of your amp. So you are simply replacing the Bose amp with your amp. You may need to lengthen some of the wires with new wire, depending on where you mount the amp, but it work the same.

Jayjay, I understand your situation. If you have already bought the double DIN kit, then you should go ahead and install it using the Bose amp and speakers. The Bose amp normally receives a 2 to 2.5 volt input, so you may not have much problem connecting your new head unit to the bose amp using some sort of interface. I've never done that, so I can't reccommend anything for you there. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Gilley thanks. Two other questions, the harness I am using for my first line output converter for the subwoofer amp is this the same harness I can find the speaker wires for the rear deck and front door speakers? And the other question is I have navigation and will I loose "Veronica's" (navigation) voice when I take the amp out completely?
I've removed the bose amp completely and I still have the NAV voice.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You are using JL audio amps. you don't need LOC's. Just cut an RCA cable, attach it to the radio output and plug it into the amp. Switch the selector switch to low level input. That's how mine is run.

Dakkerz, Bing, 16psibrick, is a DLS dealer.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Cool thanks for the info Gilley