Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center channel in G35C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center channel in G35C

Has anyone here mounted a center channel in a G35C or know of someone who has? If so, what brand was used and where was it mounted? I want to get a DVD audio system, but do not know where to put the center channel. I was thinking about using the double din area for it, but I do not know if the expense would be worth it so I am looking for a cheaper, but still good way to do it.

Pics so far http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290936425

Old 12-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Re: Center channel in G35C

When I get a G, I'm not getting Navigation, so I will use the empty compartment to make an enclosure for the center channel speakers. In that location, they will be right behind the monitor when it flips up, for more accurate sound.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the useless sunglass holder in the roof?

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 12-16-2003, 02:43 PM

There is one from either Alpine or Pioneer that you can mount it on your review mirror for Center speaker.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 12-16-2003, 03:42 PM

DJGCue mounted a 3.5 MB Quart in the sunglass holder:

and it sounds awesome!

cheers, ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 12-16-2003, 06:20 PM

g35mt did that also, but his is covered in tinted lexan or something, it looks pretty cool

03 BS/Graph 6MT Prem Cp
19" Gunny TE37 275/30 MichPSports
kg/mm springs
camber rods
injenCAI/SES
Alpine/JL/Stinger
2Din

Old 12-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about putting in a center channel, but the location problem, may have me think against it. I don't think the sunglass holder is useless. I use it all the time. However, I would sacrifice the convenience for a center channel. But, I think that location is too high. I don't want to be distracted by being able to pin point the sound source. Especially with a nice 5.1 or pro logic II seperation going. Nav-less cubby would be ideal, but I will soon have a 7" touchscreen in there.

Replacing the clock? But would that look classy?

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2003, 09:51 AM

afr0puff, are you gonna use both DIN spaces below the climate controls? You can fit a center channel in there if not. Remember that you can mount audio equipment in that cubby above the passenger airbag. Clarion makes a DIN-size center speaker system, but I haven't heard it. The test I read on it said it doesn't have much low-frequency output.

The major considerations for center speakers are size and placement. Since center speakers carry most ofthe load in a 5.1 system, they should be as big and as good as possible. The ideal center speaker should put out plenty of midbass. The location is also important. Since most of the dialogue in a movie comes from the center channel, the center speaker should be placed as close as possible to the screen. That's why I will mount my center speaker right behind the monitor. This will make the spoken words sound as if they are coming right out of the actors' mouths, instead of from somewhere else in the car.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator

I don't have everything planned out yet, but here is what I'm thinking. Cost is a huge factor for me so I may scrap a lot of these plans.

Cubby above the glove box will store my DVD drive, USB hub, and other misc computer items. Underneath the driver's seat will be the 5.1/pro logic II processor. Din slot 1 will have a new HU. Din slot 2 will have the control unit for the processor. Nav-less cubby will have the screen in a similar design to this:

Old 12-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afr0puff,
You gonna take apart the Xenarc and put it in a Nav monitor cover?

-Alan

Old 12-18-2003, 12:32 PM

I would say get the Clarion DIN-size center speaker system for one of the DIN slots and put the DSP controller into the cubby above the glove box. You won't need to fiddle with the controller after you set the system up, so the center channel is more important. Plus, hiding the controller will keep people from messing with it and possibly screwing up the settings.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator

I actually might need to fuss with it. I will be setting everything up so that the "sweet spot" would be the driver's seat. However, I would have to change the sweet spot to be the center of the cabin if I have passengers.

I found a couple of Clarion HU that can directly control the processor, so maybe that DIN size center speaker would work better.

Yeah, I took apart the Xenarc. It was pretty easy. I didn't get a chance to do a test fitting because the screen had a dead pixel. Sent it back for replacement.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:52 PM

center channel should be in the DIN pocket below the head unit, alpine makes a powered center channel speaker (I'll be using this one in my car - as well as using it as the speaker for the navigation) and clarion makes a din sized center channel speaker . . .

Old 12-20-2003, 03:09 PM

I am still thinking in place of that ugly a$$ clock. Almost all head units will have a clock built in and if the hole is covered flush with a good colored speaker fabric it should look awesome and more custom then a DIN mount. Just my $0.02

J.

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 PM

The clock is a great place for a center channel. I, personally, want to keep the clock, so I'm putting the center into the nav screen cubby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center channel in G35C