Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Power Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Problems

I have an alpine PDX 1.1000 amp powering 2 JL 10w6v2's and a 5 farad cap. When I play music with heavy bass the car begins to jolt. The feeling is similar to shift shock. I have a 5AT. Does anyone know any possible solutions or problems down the road that this could cause? Also I do not want to replace the alternator.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Upgrade the "big 3" first before anything. Thats the battery to chassis, battery to alt, and engine to chassis with at least 4 guage wire. Read this article for more info.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
how does it feel at upper rpm's? light dim while
bass hits?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm running a PDX 2.150 and a 1.1000 and no idle or dimming problems. I did upgrade the battery to a spiral cell type and upgraded the stock ground battery to chassis to a 1/0 ga and 4 ga to the engine block. Power wire is a 1/0 ga to distribution block then 4ga to each amp. oh, yeah a 3F cap on each amp.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by DHCrocks
I'm running a PDX 2.150 and a 1.1000 and no idle or dimming problems. I did upgrade the battery to a spiral cell type and upgraded the stock ground battery to chassis to a 1/0 ga and 4 ga to the engine block. Power wire is a 1/0 ga to distribution block then 4ga to each amp. oh, yeah a 3F cap on each amp.
Did you do all of this at once or were you having the same problem as me and then you did it?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by BadBoy06
how does it feel at upper rpm's? light dim while
bass hits?
It feels fine at high rpms, it just does it when shifting gears.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 AM
I installed my stereo complete with all wiring less the battery and it ran great for about 2 days, no dimming but the next thing you know it starts cranking slow and eventually wont start. I needed a battery in a hurry and couldn't find a Exide Orbital (my favorite battery), Optimas seems to get a bad rap lately so ended up getting a NAPA spiral cell battery (same type as the orbital and optima). Wow the cranking was so much faster then it was before, it was almost funny how fast the starter turned. I think the battery was just at the end of it's life being 3yrs old and the stereo just pushed it over the top.

The stock alternator can easily handle the pdx1.1000. do the big three, like mentioned above.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I installed my stereo complete with all wiring less the battery and it ran great for about 2 days, no dimming but the next thing you know it starts cranking slow and eventually wont start. I needed a battery in a hurry and couldn't find a Exide Orbital (my favorite battery), Optimas seems to get a bad rap lately so ended up getting a NAPA spiral cell battery (same type as the orbital and optima). Wow the cranking was so much faster then it was before, it was almost funny how fast the starter turned. I think the battery was just at the end of it's life being 3yrs old and the stereo just pushed it over the top.

The stock alternator can easily handle the pdx1.1000. do the big three, like mentioned above.
I am adding a 4.150 on monday. Do you think it will make the problem alot worse? I do not feel comfortable doing the big 3 myself so how much do you guys think a shop would charge to do it?

Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow 3 years only. I had a Interstate Megatron battery on my accord that lasted me about 7 -8 years. My accord had a system that was pushing only about 300 watts rated (but prob more since they were bridged and what not) and was a daily driver. That was an awesome battery.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah, the stock battery lasted 3 years. which seems to about average for me. The Exide Orbital that I've used in the past lasted me around 5 to 6 years and that was with a 1600w system in it.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by srmfball
It feels fine at high rpms, it just does it when shifting gears.

so basically when R's drop..sounds like you need to upgrade the
hook ups like others have said. Me personally, I like running o gage
back to distribution block and 4 GA every other place