Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which is better, JL TR650 CSi or CDT CL-S60A for front speaker swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Which is better, JL TR650 CSi or CDT CL-S60A for front speaker swap?

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in the front doors of my '06 G35 sedan which has the Base (not the bose) system. I dont want to blow a lot of money and i've read that just a straight speaker swap will still give me siginficant benefit, without changing the HU and without adding an Amp.

how do these two compare given that i dont want to add an amp?

JL TR650 csi AT ~120
or
CDT CL-S60A with tw-24 tweeters FOR ~100?

I've read good things about CDT (But not this actual model), and i'm worried that they will need more power than the built in HU/amp can provide, especially since they have to go through the passive x-over. And i'm also worried about how to mount the x-over box inside the door (double sided foam tape? will it fit?

the JL TRs dont have a seperate x-over (woofer has no x-over and the tweeter has an integrated high pass) which should make my installation easier. I've also heard the JL tr650 Cs-i in the store, and i think they sound much better than the infinity reference or kappas.

any thoughts? I am hoping to do the install myself.

Last edited by mw@987.ca; 04-10-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
for what you need, it hink both will do fine, the TR is a pretty solid stock replacement...

give it a shot and see, no sense in asking, becuase yuo ask 5 people this quesiton, you may get 5 different answers hehe

trust your own ears and see

b

Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think a better option would be to add in a 2ch amp for the front and keep the stock speakers. You would be supprised how good the stock speakers sound with adequate power. A good starting point would be 50-75 wpc. For the same amount of money I think you will get better results.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which amps are good and cheap? :P (oxymoron, i know)

Originally Posted by DHCrocks
I think a better option would be to add in a 2ch amp for the front and keep the stock speakers. You would be supprised how good the stock speakers sound with adequate power. A good starting point would be 50-75 wpc. For the same amount of money I think you will get better results.
thanks DHCrocks - what amps would you recommend? i was also hoping to do the install myself, but i'm not confident about running a cable from the battery - do you know of any good diy guides online that might show me how to do this?

i'm hoping to stay under a few hundred dollars as my commute is fairly short and i dont spend a ton of time in my car.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
being on a tight budget I'd recommend this one.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=3729
what's nice about this amp is that would fit in nicely with the stock while still being fairly economical. You want to spend your money on something that can grow with you.

-It has speaker level and RCA inputs so you won't need a LOC (line output converter).

-It's a brigeable 4ch amp so it can grow with you. For now bridge the channels so you get 100wpc to the front speakers. If you decide to upgrade in the future to components, you can run the amp in 4ch mode and bi-amp the speakers.

-If you decide you want a small sub, bridge two channels for the sub and two channels for the front speakers. (it's a little low on sub power tho).

-It has a built in variable crossover, necessary if you decide to expand in the future.

- small footprint, so install will be easy.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the stock paper speakers are nothing compared to a nice set of components