Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

xm or sirius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: xm or sirius

Ok I checked and Yes I do have the sticker. It's prewired, does this mean I only need the antena or kit????? Here's whats available from www.grubbsinfiniti.com:

Sat Radio Kit - Was $ 295.99 NOW ON SALE for $ 270.99

Sat Pre-Wire - $ 79.99*

Universal kit with OEM Sat purchase - $ 99.99

which one do I need?

2004 Blk/Blk Coupe - Navi, Premium, K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 12-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sat Radio kit. You don't need the prewire, as that's the wire that runs from the dash to the trunk (for non-prewired cars). Essentially you just need the antenna and receiver for Sirius. They come bundled together in the Sat Radio kit, too. Call Grubbs just to make sure, but that should be all you need. Good luck!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 12-29-2003, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info. The price on that is about $270, but I can get the Kenwood unit w/ Home and Car kit for about $130 after rebate. Would this work or do I have to use the Sat radio kit from from Grubbs?

Old 12-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

The XM/Sirius kits are made for the G. Unless I'm mistaken, the Kenwood won't work-- need the one from Infiniti.

G

Old 12-29-2003, 11:44 PM

I'm gonna try conatcting Sirius and see what I can do. $270 is kinda steep and no home kit. $130 for the Kenwood unit and home kit sounds better. Thanks for your help GeoBau.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

No prob, buddy. Yeah, it's a tad steep for just a car XM/Sirius player. BUT, it looks darn sweet since it's so well integrated. I'm not a huge fan of units sitting on the dash-- do you have Nav? You could pop it in the glove-box thingy if you don't, I bet. I don't know the dimensions of the container nor the unit, but I think it could work easily. Thoughts?

G

Old 12-30-2003, 01:07 AM

I do have a Nav, I couldn't put anything there. Were you talking about the unit I mentioned (Kenwood receiver)???

Old 12-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Cali Event Coordinator
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH

Hell get both!

Here's my $0.02 worth. I was disappointed when our pre March 2003 G's were not able to install the Sat unit into the dash. I bought the car Nov 2002 and waited 6 months before deciding to go with XM.

Re: XM - In the beginning it was cool. I love dance music but they only had 3 ch's (80,81,& 82). They don't always have mix shows or continuous non-stop mixes which is what I love. The nice thing with the DELPHI unit is that you can bring it home or to your work with the optional boombox. It is worth paying a little more for that. Save the songs you like download it when you get home. The signal strength in SF isn't the best and the quality isn't as clear as Sirius.

Re: SIRIUS - I decided to get that too because they offer more dance channels (60 - 64) with non stop sessions and more importantly (NO COMMERCIALS AT ALL)!

For the XM I paid 1 a one year contract with premium channels (stoopid move)

For SIRIUS - Month-to-Month.

I think when my XM plan ends, I will sell the Delphi and Boomnbox. I may just pay month-to-month instead who knows.

Just go with what works best for you. OH SIRIUS sounds so much better with a 10" TUBE in the trunk!

Bobby - SF =)

2003.5 Sedan D.Platinum or Mist I forget
Recent mod - INJEN CAI - XM - SIRIUS - DVD/TV TUNER AV Electronice box - 10" SUB 35% Tint!

Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Hehehe, Premium Channels... you mean the Playboy channel? [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

G

Old 12-30-2003, 08:58 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

a) MANY XM stations are commercial-free,

<hr></blockquote>Yep, I'm well aware of that, I think I made that pretty clear. "Many" does me no good when the channel I want to listen to not commercial free (e.g., their popular dance channel). I looked into their lineup when deciding between the two, at least they make it clear before you buy.<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

b) The commercials are few and far between (at least on the stations I've listened to). If I paid $30/mo, I would expect no commercials (HBO, Cinemax), but even then you don't get back-to-back contet; you have to sit to up to 15 minutes of self-promotion in between media.

<hr></blockquote>HBO spends many minutes self promoting because people usually watch shows on half-hour boundaries. Since not all movies are precisely 2 hours long, there's lots of gaps that need filling. Music in the car is a very different situation. Also, I don't know who your cable company is, but HBO only costs me about $9 a month (not that it matters, music and TV are largely apples and oranges). Since both my cable TV company and my satellite TV company are able to throw in dozens of commercial-free music stations at virtually no cost to me, I just don't see commercial free music as much to expect from a pay music service. If XM has so few commercials, then why have them at all? XM has "guaranteed" that they will not play more than 6 minutes per hour of commercials, comparing that to the typical 20 minutes per hour on a radio station. 6 minutes is significantly less than what they are currently playing (typically 30 seconds now), so things could get much worse in the future. Probably won't get unbearable if they want to keep their subscribers, but when choosing between the two services it made going with Sirius easier.

-- Rob

Old 12-31-2003, 10:16 PM

I would just go out and invest in a 52x CD burner and some blank CDRs

Old 01-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I've got that, but I just like to hear something new every so often. I have more CD-Rs in my car than I can count, and of course none of them have lables [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

G

Old 01-07-2004, 03:16 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

XM is just better radio, but it's still just radio with commercials...

<hr></blockquote>

not anymore...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040107/dcw037_1.html

XMLM

Old 01-07-2004, 10:39 PM

XM announced today that Feb. 1st they are going 100% commercial free.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 PM

Sirius is the way to go. They announced that they will have movie/tv capablility included with their awesome radio reception.

DON"T FORGET...Sirius has 3 sat's in the sky XM only has two... quality also is the issue... Sirius has the better of the two in ratings... ...and NFL baby....

Only problem is i don't have Sirius yet... getting rid of XM this week!

ace

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: xm or sirius