Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugly Satellite Antenna???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugly Satellite Antenna???

In order to get my fully loaded 6MT coupe fast (1 week) the dealer asked if I would take one that had XM Radio (the only option I didn't want). They are throwing it in at invoice. I heard that the antenna really messes up the way the car looks. I also heard that there is a new "mini" antenna that is barely visible. Is the antenna really as bad as people say??? If I don't take it then I may have to wait because apparently there are not a lot of Navi 6MT's out there that are not spoken for.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Re: Ugly Satellite Antenna???

i think that the antenna is horrible looking, i just don't see why someone would want that on there car. just my .02. my girlfriends boss just got a new 7 series bmw, the v12, the car is gorgeous, then you get to that ugle a$$ antenna on the roof.

04, 6mt, Twilight Blue, Premium, Aero

Old 01-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What color is it, where's the antenna located, and does it have a spoiler?

Reasons for the questions: If it's a black coupe with a spoiler and the antenna on the trunk, it won't mess up the lines too much at all. If it's white with the antenna on the roof, it'll just look... interesting... IMO. Things like that. Now, you can always remove the antenna and replace it, but you're looking at purchasing the new antenna and shelling out ~50-75 for the install if you can't do it yourself. Good luck,

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 PM

The car is Diamond Graphite and has the complete aero package. I haven't seen the antenna yet and was trying to find a pic of one. It seems like a trivial reason to wait an additional 2-3 months to get the car. I guess the antenna is on the roof??? Wherever they are installed by infiniti....

Old 01-14-2004, 03:42 PM

I've seen one, and I seem to recall it looking worse on the G than any other car I've seen with the satellite antenna. I actually thought the BMW 5 series looked decent with the antenna. Not so on the G35 coupe.
You should really track down a G35 with the antenna to judge for yourself. I definitely wouldn't recommend getting one sight unseen.

2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite AT
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Vanity Plate="HOTNESS"

Old 01-14-2004, 03:45 PM

Can't you put the antenna on the rear deck? Just move it. It's not permanent, is it?

Old 01-14-2004, 03:47 PM

you can floss it off and move it inside (w/no tint).. The new mini is for the newer XM units. 2 plugs vs 1 plug. I heard someone using the Sirius 2 to 1 adaptor... but I really dont know and wouldnt try it myself on the OEM tuner.

bs g35c lth/prem

Old 01-14-2004, 03:54 PM

Just mount it on the rear deck like I did...no problems w/ signal dropout whatsoever. BTW...yes the Terk 2 antenna looks horrible on top of any car. I work for XM & I still wouldn't mount it on the exterior of any of my cars.

This is what our new Micro Antenna looks like...

But you'll need on of these...
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

which allows a single-cable XM antenna to connect to an older XM tuner with dual antenna input connections

XMLM

Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the factory mounted one it is pretty ugly mounted on your roof. It is pretty big too. If you are not planning on getting tint you can put it on your rear parcel shelf inside the car or get a low profile one and put it on you trunk lid. I got a sirius reciever 6 months after delivery and mounted the terk antenna on my trunk lid. Just note with our sat receivers they are a dual input for the antenna. You need an adapter for a single input antenna. Just double check when you shop for one.

Hope that helps the decision.

G35C - 6MT, DG, Aero, BSM, Flaps, Stillen Intake, Z tube, Crawford, 6 Wire Grounding Kit, Clear Corners, 2nd Battery (Brake) Cover, Sirius, Momo F16 Evo Shifter, 30% 3M Metailic Tint & more to go

170609-sat ant stock.jpg

Old 01-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

We put them on the rear shelf in the back of the car and tint the rear window with ceramic based tint to not cause any interference. We also sell the Terk XM3 low profile antenna. You can check out www.grubbsperformance.com under our Satellite Radio link.

TMaxG
www.grubbsperformance.com
Please no private messages I prefer e-mail.

Old 01-14-2004, 04:01 PM

Sorry, I'm new to this.... So I can either move the current XM antenna or purchase the new micro antenna. Is this a difficult switch. The brand new 04's don't have the new antenna??

Old 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Correct...but I believe Infiniti does not sell the XM Micro. So you'll need to goto www.xmfan.com to buy the antenna & to the crutchfield link that I posted previously to get the 2 to 1 adapter. From what I hear it's an easy switch although I've never personally done it.

XMLM

Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my Antenna on my rear deck with tint and everything and it works to I would say 90%. The problem is this, picture a satelite dish. You have the actual dish, and then you have the signal reciever in the front. Well, the satelite antenna works in a similar way. It uses your roof or trunk as the "dish" and then it "absorbs" the signal through the antenna which acts as the signal reciever.

When you simply put the antenna on the rear deck, the signal must now directly hit the antenna and since there's no metal or coverage to act a solid dish, reception is compromised.

To fight this, all you need to do is a get a small piece of sheet metal, and cut it so it fits on your rear deck, paint it black so it cant bee seen, and then stick the antenna on to it. This will up your reception from the inside of your car by at least 25%.

Since doing that in my car, theres only a few places I dont get a strong signal, and I think its mostly due to the heavy and large trees and whatnot in the area, but in and around major cities like in Long Island City, Queens, and NYC, the system works flawlessly!

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-14-2004, 05:10 PM

People ask me what mine is sometimes. They usually guess that it's for the GPS. Twice I've been told it looks cool. I could take it or leave it, but it does set the car apart from all the other G's I've seen.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

170659-cg.jpg

Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM

Has anyone ever taken the factory antenna off? I had xm installed on my old car and they used what appears to be the same (fugly) antenna infiniti uses. I took it off only 10 months later to trade in the car. It was attached by strong foam core adhesive tape and was reletively difficult to remove. When it was off I had paint discoloration....after only 10 months!
I'm worried that same thing would happen with the g...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ugly Satellite Antenna???