Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Modifying stock AC controller to fit DD kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i thought about cutting the board and bending it 90 degrees.. so the oem radio part would rest on top of the aftermarket radio, and just solder all the traces that were cut

Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Doubt this will work.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take a pic of the back side of the board. the front side doesn't look like it has many IC's. if there are no IC's on the back side (bottom half) then it's a no brainer - cut it! make it a clean cut like from a dremel tool. from the front side I see one IC (on the bottom half). get the data sheet on that one and see what it is.

is the board multilayered? i'm guessing not, probably just double sided. i see lots of traces from those pics. thats probably a good sign that it's nothing but keyboard matrix like switches. the once IC at the top probably multiplexes them into the CAN like TX/RX that gets sent to the "Display and A/C auto amp."

i thought about cutting the board and bending it 90 degrees.. so the oem radio part would rest on top of the aftermarket radio, and just solder all the traces that were cut
dont think there is a need for that, just do your homework and make sure you know what your cutting off.

Last edited by mediabox; 06-29-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Monday updates?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
So, I spent all weekend taking apart the car. I installed sound dampening and ran power wire, but I never got the dash taken apart, so it will have to wait till next week.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny that this topic has started up again. I thought about doing this exact thing back in March 2004 when I was doing my DD conversion.

**BTW, my 2003-04 DIY DD conversion guide posted on g-owners.com is no longer up for some reason, don't no why.

I had an EE friend (former Caltech geek) look at the IC board and he examined the traces and said it coudn't be done. Don't know how he came to this conclusion but he took it to do some testing. So I never did it. I do have my stock IC board in a box down in storage in my basement as well as the CD changer. I think a replacement IC board was something like $400-600 to order from Infiniti.

Man, this is my first post in like 2 years although I have been occassionally perusing the posts! It's funny how AV forum topics recycle every 6 months though.

I'm just jealous about the new G37 console, looks pretty sweet. Hopefully, Infiniti has listened to its consumers about severing its ties with Bose and to not use stock Nissan components in its "Premium" sound systems using the same paper-thin, refrigerator-sized magnet speakers in a G as they would in a Nissan Sentra and Quest.

doc

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by docron1
I'm just jealous about the new G37 console, looks pretty sweet. Hopefully, Infiniti has listened to its consumers about severing its ties with Bose and to not use stock Nissan components in its "Premium" sound systems using the same paper-thin, refrigerator-sized magnet speakers in a G as they would in a Nissan Sentra and Quest.
I doubt the speakers will be of any better quality. They certainly are not in the 2007 Sedan, which has a similar "studio on wheels" system.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:04 PM
IC Paul
Why go through all the trouble.. Just ordered the dd kit and ac controler for my 06 from yosi@j-garage.com.... Got great service and it should be here next week.. I will be having the IVA-W205 installed the day I get it.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
_jb
Photographer

**BTW, my 2003-04 DIY DD conversion guide posted on g-owners.com is no longer up for some reason, don't no why.
It seems that the whole g-owners.com site is gone. What a shame... some good information was lost there.

Your DD conversion was used by lots of us.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I had an EE friend (former Caltech geek) look at the IC board and he examined the traces and said it coudn't be done. Don't know how he came to this conclusion but he took it to do some testing. So I never did it. I do have my stock IC board in a box down in storage in my basement as well as the CD changer. I think a replacement IC board was something like $400-600 to order from Infiniti.

doc
There's geeks and then there's McGvyers.
There's doctors out there with their PHD but yet, some doctors doesn't know how to pick up a broom and sweep.

I guess i'm just wishful thinking and hoping this can be done.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by digitalhifinet
So, I spent all weekend taking apart the car. I installed sound dampening and ran power wire, but I never got the dash taken apart, so it will have to wait till next week.

any updates?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
bump....did it die?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I kind of forgot about this thread, heh. Any way upon taking the piece out, there is no way to cut the traces, and still maintain functionality of the AC controller, too many things are shared. I believe the only way to do this would be to do what the guy on cardomain did and run extenders off of the traces and stash the factory radio board behind the dash. The amount of time required to do this would equal out to way over $200 of my time, so I just bought the AC controller from Riverside.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
wow, that stuff on cardomain is crazy. But yeah, you're right, looks like too much work. too bad it wasn't a simple cut and soldering some wires to complete the loop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modifying stock AC controller to fit DD kit