Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PA11-NIS incompatible with Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA11-NIS incompatible with Bluetooth?

After extensive research, I recently purchased a USA Spec PA11-NIS iPod interface for my 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT. With Bose audio, and Navigation.

I know the PA11-NIS is incompatible with the satellite receiver, but that's no problem. I don't have satellite, and I don't want satellite.

I thought that it would be great. But then, a couple days ago, while reading about the PA11-NIS on the web yet again, I suddenly noticed something I somehow had never seen before: they say the PA11-NIS is also incompatible with Bluetooth. Now this is a problem!

Is anybody else aware of any incompatiblity between the PA11-NIS and the Bluetooth handsfree system?

I emailed USA Spec and asked what the exact nature of the incompatibility was. They said the Bluetooth plugged into the same port on the HU that the PA11-NIS would plug into. That would be the port usually used for the satellite receiver.

This doesn't make sense to me... wouldn't that mean that Bluetooth handsfree was also incompatibile with the satellite receiver? I'm pretty sure that ain't so.

I've even studied the wiring diagrams for the 2006 G35 in some detail. As far as I can see, all the signals for the Bluetooth "TEL ADAPTER UNIT" come into the head unit on connector M39 (a 16 pin connector). The satellite receiver comes in on connector M90 (a 12 pin connector). The PA11-NIS uses connectors M90 (the satellite connector) and M40 (just for pwr, accessory pwr and ground). As far as I can tell from the wiring diagrams, Bluetooth should not be touching the M90 satellite connector the PA11-NIS uses at all.

I have 20 days left to return the PA11-NIS if it turns out I can't use it. I'll find out myself first hand when I open up the dash board and take a look. But before I do that, I thought I'd ask about it here.

Anybody know what this is about? Is it really incompatible or isn't it? If so, why?

- Ron

Old 08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
install it....I think they may be sayin that just to cover their a$$es and maybe its aftermarket plug n play bluetooth systems

Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
It works...

I installed the PA11-NIS today, and I'm happy to report it works perfectly. The Bluetooth interface still works, too.

After the expected struggle to get the dash apart (that shift **** is a right bloody bastard!) I pulled out the electronics assembly. I found, as USA Spec suggested, that the SAT connection on the radio was indeed occupied. But it's not occupied by Bluetooth, I don't know where they get that idea. It's occupied by the factory-prewired harness for the optional satellite receiver.

I just unplugged it, hooked up the battery again and did some tests... bluetooth continued to operate perfectly. Everything else operated perfectly.

So, after killing the power again, I plugged in the PA11-NIS unit. Reconnected the battery, plugged in my iPod, and give it a try... it was perfect. Bluetooth still good, Navigation still good. And the iPod... perfect. Steering wheel controls functional. Tried incoming and outgoing phone-calls... no problem. The iPod even pauses when you get a call, just like the indash CD player would. Everything flawless. Where is this incompatibility they speak of? I don't know...

So, I completed the install, put everything back together, and now I have a nice iPod sound. I get rid of that blasted FM transmitter once and for all.

Just a tiny bit of whine in the background that I can hear between tracks. It seems correlated to the RPMs, so probably from the ignition system. But I don't mind it so much... actually, it almost sounds like a turbocharger... cool!

My install is not mechanically fancy. I just brought the iPod cable out through the ashtray (I don't smoke). I had to modify the ashtray slightly (removing a metal heat-shield from the top), but nothing irreversable. I can push the cable back into the ashtray and close it up, you can't even tell it's there.

- Ron

Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ron...great info. !!

...but did you ever consider the Factory iPod Intergration Kit from EverythingG35 ??

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=521

Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I was not aware of it at the time. Another thing I somehow missed in days of web-searches.

I learned about it after I bought the PA11-NIS. I think I would still prefer the PA11-NIS. From what I've read, the factory kit takes over the iPod's display, and you can only select tracks tracks through the car's controls. It seems similar to the PA11's "Playlist" mode (selected by a dip-switch.)

The PA11-NIS also has a "Direct" mode, in which the iPod's interface remains usable. That is my preference.

I think it also doesn't provide the additional AUX input that the PA11-NIS has.

On the plus-side for the factory kit...
  • Compatible with the satellite receiver.
  • Displays song information on the radio (probably truncated to 8 characters, same as an MP3 CD.)