Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

speaker direction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
speaker direction

Ok people I have a question. I'm trying to figure something out. I just got my z enclosure about 3 days ago. (thanks Mike @ Z enclosures.com) Now my question is I notice that people face their speakers toward the rear of the trunk. To me this doesn't speak right cuz when i was younger I had my speaker face towards the inside of the car so i can get a better sound and less trunk noise. There is more surface area in the car instead of the trunk and that would mean to me that it may sound better. Could anyone help me understand the concept of facing the speakers toward the trunk instead of toward the cabin of the car?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boundary loading.

The more times that the sound wave from the sub can bounce back and forth between two boundaries before it reaches your ear, the more times it will be able to "constructively interfere" with itself, thereby making it louder.

Actually, it is a weighted decision. Most everyone faces their sub to the rear of the car for greater output, while facing them towards the front of the car will actually result in "quicker" bass and a slightly drier, less boomy frequency response. The difference isn't huge, but noticeable if you know what you're listening for.

The same thing goes for the polarity of the sub, to a lesser extent.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
thanks lancer... i was wondering and your answer took care of my concern thanks again.