Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Carputer advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carputer advice

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 G35 coupe (6spd, no nav, bose system), and I'm looking into installing a car computer. After looking through the threads, I still have some questions you guys will hopefully shed some light on.

1) Can a car-computer interface with the steering wheel controls, or will these be lost for sure?

2) Is there any way to interface a car-computer with an engine management / gauge control computer in order to see sensor readouts, set alerts, etc.?

3) Most of the car computers seem to be using open source software to run the main interface, is there any software you guys prefer for our cars (i.e.: user-friendliness, compatibility, etc.)

4) I intend on using Infinity Kappa perfect 6.1s up front, and Kappa 6x9 in the back, with two 10" Kappa perfect subs in the trunk, with two JL audio amps (1 four channel, 1 sub amp). In terms of the setup itself, can I connect my two subs to the 1 amp if it is powerful enough? Also, how do I get the carputer to send off a pre-amp output (like a head-unit) to power the rear side speakers (which I don't intend to upgrade)?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1) yes
2) feasible. Don't know for sure.
3) Some like street deck, some like roadrunner, frodoplayer, mediaengine whathaveyou. All of them are free or have fully functioning demos. Download them and try it out on your pc to see what you like.
4) Yes you can connect 2 subs to one amp as long as it has enough juice, and your impedances work out. E.g., don't put a 1 ohm load on an amp with only a 2 ohm load rating. To get the signal out of the carputer, most folks just take a 5 dollar radioshack y cable. 1/8 inch phono jack on one end, RCA on the other. Not the best but workable. Best is to take the optical out of the carputer have a compatible amp, but unsure how expensive those are or if they exist.

Most of your questions can be answered on mp3car.com There are a few G's on there, including the guys that post in g35driver carputer forum. I think God of CPU runs streetdeck on his G, and is a dev on it. Or at least an early adopter

Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I have run everything from road runner, frodoplayer and streetdeck. I myself liked streetdeck the most and went with that. RR takes some time to get configured correctly but there are tons of addons for it. If you want something that is pretty much complete I would suggest streetdeck, get the demo's install them on your pc and give them a shot.