G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

A/C issues led to finding MELTED fuse box! 2003.5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issues led to finding MELTED fuse box! 2003.5

I'll try to keep this short. 2003.5 sport auto, 180,xxx miles. About 2 years ago on a 5 hour drive in very hot weather, my A/C stopped. The display worked, and the unit made cold air that I could feel when I was moving and had windows down, as it pulled it out of the vents. But it stopped blowing. Winter came, didn't blow hot air either. Prior to this I had the radio/AC controls and display go out issue that some of us have had, replaced it with the aftermarket center console/circuit board and a single din basic deck.

Well, I never messed with the A/C issue as I have a 2 mile drive to work and my GF had a new car for road trips. So here we are 2 years later and I'm deciding on whether to get a new car or fix all the issues with the G (other cosmetic issues). So I take it to my buddy's BMW resto business and he offers to pull and replace the blower/fan, as we assume that is whats wrong. I had checked the fuses after it happened originally and they were fine. So he gets in there, gets the fan out and its fine, so he pulls the fuse box, which is the part you can find linked below, and its all melted. So, I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ever had this issue. I'm worried that there is problem beyond the fuse box/relay, and throwing another one in there will just get it melted and run the risk of burning the car down. So, looking for some advice. Will be checking in regularly to answer questions, post progress. Right now the plan is buy a used fuse box and replace it and see what happens.

this is the part:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G35...52a337&vxp=mtr

EDIT: Yes, I did search stuff like "melted fuse box" etc., also read all the threads about A/C issues and no one brought up a melted fuse box.

Last edited by Learned Hand; 09-30-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200 views...no replies...Okay, well the update is that apparently some water, probably due to humidity, eventually collected on the relay or resistor attached to the fan and shorted out, which by my understanding kept the circuit open and caused the fuse box to melt. Not an electrician, so that's the best explanation I can give. Anyway, replaced the fan and cleaned up the melted plastic on the fuse box and I'm good to go with AC. The melt hadn't affected the connectors so the fuse box was still use able. While this was being done I had the car inspected and a litany of problems were discovered that would cost more than the car is worth to sell, so it looks like I'm moving on. I'll check back once or twice to answer any questions today.