Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wiring / BCM experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Wiring / BCM experts

Calling all experts w/ wiring and the BCM.

Had my remote starter installed today. Naturally, the installer couldn't figure out how he'd get the remote starter to activate the rear window defogger.

My remote starter has accessory outputs I can activate w/ the remote. I want one to be for the rear window defogger.

By looking at the service manual in the GW part, (Glass, Window systems, and mirror), I believe I have figured out what needs to be done: Pin 9 of the BCM receives a momentary ground when the driver pushes the dash-mounted rear-defroster button to activate a series of relays to turn it on. Can someone confirm this?

I'm quoting from page GW-60:
When A/C and audio controller (rear window defogger switch) is turned to ON,
Ground is supplied
to BCM terminal 9
through A/C and audio controller terminal 12
through A/C and audio controller terminal 3
through body grounds M30 and M6
Am I correct? If so, I think I could use the positive output of the remote starter accessory port to activate a relay which would ground the wire going to pin-9 to remotely activate the unit, correct?

Maybe I could make a jumper and ground it to see if it turns on! I miss wiring, this stuff is so much fun!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you get this done? Any updates?

It sounds like you are on the right track.

However, why would you want this on an accessory output? It seems like it could be activated every time you start the car. I don't think it would hurt anything, and it would be better then having to remote start the car and then hit another button - esepecially because you won't get any feedback that it turned on.

If you are worried about burning up the rear window defroster from using it so often you could install a switch for the warmer months or something.

Then you could save your aux outputs for fun things like
window up
window down
trunk pop
remote headlight activation
etc.