Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC SWI-PS vs. SWI-X steering wheel control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PAC SWI-PS vs. SWI-X steering wheel control

Ok, so I have an '07 coupe with the bose system and am getting ready to replace the system with the Pioneer Avic-D3 and pioneer bluetooth with ipod connector. I currently have the factory bluetooth system, but i don't think that I can get that to work the way I want it to with the pioneer system, so that is why I am going aftermarket with that as well.

So, here is the question. Will the PAC SWI-PS give me the same amount of functionality that the SWI-X will? Mainly, I am wondering what it will be like to answer my phone with the bluetooth. Right now I do this through the "mode" button on my steering wheel to make a call or answer it/hang up. Will the SWI-X give more functionality since it is infrared and can mimick the remote control for the headunit. And if so, where the heck do I mount the infrared eye to transmit the signal?

Anyone already have this set up that can chime in. I would really appreciate it.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM
No one with any answers to this.....

Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Some have mounted the SWI-X "eye" in the shifter so it points forward...

Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The units will work the same. It will be better to get the SWI-PS since it hard wires into the back of the radio. You can program the buttons to do whatever you want them to do to a certain extent. I changed my power button to a mute button.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. I think I am going to go with the hard wired one as well.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone actually installed one of these? The hardwiring is kind of a pain, you have to pull out the pins from the factory harness and solder resistors to two of them, and then tie the resistor wires together and into a third wire. Then a fourth wire needs to be connected to ground. I just said screw it, and am planning on living without the buttons...

Old 11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by ryanm
has anyone actually installed one of these? The hardwiring is kind of a pain, you have to pull out the pins from the factory harness and solder resistors to two of them, and then tie the resistor wires together and into a third wire. Then a fourth wire needs to be connected to ground. I just said screw it, and am planning on living without the buttons...
Heh this is actually not that big of a task. lol I wonder what your reaction would be if you needed to install an alarm with remote start, including diode isolation.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:45 AM
The installation isn't so bad, but tucking all those stupid wires into such a small hole I'm bound to break off the resistor leads. They are always so fragile. Making a pc board would be nice, but that is way too much trouble for me...

Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanm
don't remove the pins from the clip. Just cut the two wires that you need. You can return it to stock later by reattaching the wires.

If you think it's a PITA to install, wait until you have to program it.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
definitely delicate.... but not that painful to install.. I "spliced them like I would any other wire... not bad at all....

as for the programming.. if you follow the instructions exaclty... it wont be bad.... really...frustrating initially...but overall not bad at all

Nick

Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Just like ryanm said "just way too much trouble" for me as well. I don't even mine installing the hu by myself but Pac...sigh...I never set it up which is why I bought a romote control instead.