Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

aftermarket radio interface *URGENT*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket radio interface *URGENT*

I'm putting in an aftermarket nav system (avh-p6500dvd in the cubby pocket and avic-80 in where the navigation is) in which I'm basically taking the wires that connected the factory radio to the amp and connecting them to the new unit. The aftermarket unit will then connect directly to the car's amp and speakers, and the factory radio will exist just for show. I prefer this over the double din because I like the stealth look of the install. The shop where I'm getting it installed had a problem and said i need a new "center interface" or else my heat and the rest of the center console won't work. In my understanding, this has nothing to do with the AC controller. Does anyone know what he's talking about and where I can get this? I want to make sure he isn't BS'ing me too. I need to get this done ASAP because my car's stuck in the stereo shop until the part can be located and put in so that my system can work.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: aftermarket radio interface *URGENT*

Are you removing the stock stereo head unit? If so, the AC controls are on the same circuit board as the head unit. So if you remove the head unit, you need a new ac controller. However, if you have the dual-zone climate control, the new unit doesn't come with that button (but it is possible to solder the old button on).

There is lots more detail in this thread.

There are more pics in this thread.

And you can buy the ac controller at japanparts.com. Note that it may take a while to get the parts sent over from japan.

This thread shows the parts joepaniolo got from them.

Good luck,
Dave

2004 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 PM

those parts where not bought from japanparts.com, they were bought from yoshi.

03 BS/Graph 6MT Prem Cp
19" GunM TE37 275/30 MPSports
kg/mms,cambers,cusco sways,injen int/exh,Alpine/JL/Stinger,din master

Old 02-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oops. Sorry about that. Does Yoshi have a website that nycgspot can check out?

2004 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 02-21-2004, 10:18 PM

Oh i definitely do understand the double din concept. I'm trying to find an alternate one [well at least trying to see if thats possible...] by keeping the stock radio in its place and simply connecting the aftermarket nav to the amp/speakers. Timware on freshalloy eluded to "tap the power and use a converter back at the amp" to solve my problems. Anyone with more details on that part of the solution? I'm looking to keep the radio in place...it just won't be functional because my new system will directly output all the audio and take the radio's place.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:39 PM

If you go that route, then you need to get an aftermarket amp. What happening here is that the installer probally have to kill the factory radio because he need to put the signal wire from the aftermarket head unit to the amp signal input. If i understand it correctly, you will have to kill the connection to the head unit. My suggestion for you is to get after market amp and run the wire directly from the aftermarket unit to the amp. THen find the speaker wire from the factory amp and run the speaker wire from the after market amp.

i have similar setup before i went with double din. I have the alpine dva 7996 sitting where the factory dvd rom nav and have a ribbon cable connected to the faceplate. The faceplate seat right where the factory nav lcd screen. Search for my previous post and you fine a link to imagestation that contain the picture of my install.

i can't give u the link right now cause i am not at home and i don't remember my imagestation account.

g35mt