Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Would it be that hard to....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be that hard to....

Like most people on this forum, I read it frequently throughout the day. I've seen several post on adding aftermarket amps to stock speakers or aftermarket speakers and keeping the stock amp. Or aftermarket headunit and keeping everything else...etc, etc.

Would it be that much of a pain in the a$$ to change both front and rear door speakers, add a sub, keep the Bose headunit, and just run all new wire to all speakers? I would be using 2 amps for this setup. 1 for my comps and 1 for my subs.

Any thoughts? My main concern is that I dont think I've seen any write ups where someone just recommends running new wires to all speakers. Any advise on an easier method would be appreciated. I just dont want the Bose amp to be involved in my set up. Meaning I would like to disconnect it completely, take it out of the car, and smash it Office Space style!!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Running new wires is not for the faint of heart. Search for Molex and you will find some threads about it.

In my sedan, I replaced everything but the Bose HU and use the stock speaker wires to get the signal from the trunk to the doors. It's too much hassle for me to run new wires. It's not a competition system and most of the time I have it at a low volume level, so the small OEM wires don't worry me about how they may restrict power to the speakers.

In my coupe, I replaced the entire system, but still used the OEM wires to send the signal to the front doors. It's really easy to wire the rear side speakers when everything is out.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Running new wires is not for the faint of heart. Search for Molex and you will find some threads about it.

In my sedan, I replaced everything but the Bose HU and use the stock speaker wires to get the signal from the trunk to the doors. It's too much hassle for me to run new wires. It's not a competition system and most of the time I have it at a low volume level, so the small OEM wires don't worry me about how they may restrict power to the speakers.

In my coupe, I replaced the entire system, but still used the OEM wires to send the signal to the front doors. It's really easy to wire the rear side speakers when everything is out.
So by using the oem wires does that mean the Bose amp will still be powering any speakers?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No. You can completely remove the Bose amp. There is a list describing the wire colors to use to go to the speakers.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gilley
No. You can completely remove the Bose amp. There is a list describing the wire colors to use to go to the speakers.
I have an 04 Sedan with Bose so hopefully the diagram works with my year/make/model G.

Thanks!