Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Siren to OEM alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Siren to OEM alarm?

Anyone try adding a Siren to OEM alarm yet? I really don't like the silly horn honk and I do know that I can turn that off for arming. I like the chirping sound from Alpine for arming and I wanted a siren to sound as well as the horn.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Adding Siren to OEM alarm?

well, the thought had crossed my mind when i added the shock/motion sensor on.

The problem i see is that the signal is driven from the BCM to our 2 stock horns. I can't see any way to distinguish the signal between regular horn vs. alarm siren. IE: if you switched them out and hit the regular horn, the new siren would sound....and i can't see any easy way to seperate the 2 signals. Not good.

On the upside, the stock horns are VERY loud when you trigger the OEM alarm.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Its just a thought, hopfully someone here that is very technical or have some inside scoop on the system can gives us some anwser for this.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 02-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done fairly easy...

wire up one side of the coil of a relay to the ignition and put the othe side to gound. Wire terminal 30 (common) to the output of the BCM that goes to the horn relay. Wire terminal 87 to the wire coming in from the horn relay. Hook 87A up to another relay that will control your siren. ( believe pin 85 to 87a of first relay, pin 86 to 12vs, pin 30 to 12volts, pin 87 to siren 12 volt, siren ground to ground)

With this setup whenever the car is off the relay will not be energized so the siren relay would be connected to the BCM. When the ignition is on the relay will energize and it will connect the BCM output to the horn relay so your horn will work as normal.

RELAY1
[87] - Horn Honk Relay
[87a] - Siren Relay
[85] -gnd [86] -+12vdc when ignition on

[30] -BCM Horn Honk Output

RELAY2
[87] - Out to Siren +12Vdc
[87a] - N/C
[85] -PIN87 of relay1 [86] -+12vdc

[30] -+12vdc

If you have any questions let me know... without drawing it out completely it might be somewhat confusing. The only problem with this setup is that when the factory alarm goes off it pulses the horn, so your siren would pulse on and off. The chirps will work perfect. If you can get an on-delay timer relay that activates an off delay timer relay you can use the longer alarm horn pusle (its longer then the arm/disarm pulse) to extend the length of the pulse thus creating a constant signal. (this would cost about $100 in parts). If there is any interest in this I will try to build another cheap mod to make this a reality. I'm already planning on building an interface for dual stage shock sensors so maybe I can just make a security mod!!!!!

Kevin

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe - FULLY loaded
Windows up with OEM Remote

Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Ok, since I have no life I figured I would just post the picture before you emailed me for it....

Kevin

196946-Post.JPG

Old 02-26-2004, 10:48 PM
IQ9

Damn, that is detailed. THANK YOU!

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 02-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

If anyone tries actually hooking this up let me know, I would love to know how it works

Also, even though I haven't actually put an alarm on my coupe yet, I have installed the siren. I bought the Z sport horns and to put them in you have to take the front grill out of the G. With the grill out you will see the two horns mounted right behind the grill on the passengers side. On the drivers side there is a perfect area to mount a siren. When you put it all back together you can't see a single thing. It is also really easy to run wires from this location.

Kevin

Old 02-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the diff between the factory G horns and the Z units? Besides the obvious (looks)... I assume its the sound... Is that correct?

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Banned

The z 'sport' horns operate at a higher frequency. To be honest, if I would have heard them before I bought them I wouldn't have wasted my money. I wanted a lower frequency horn. All I could find on the web though is the frequency of the sport horn, I was never able to find the freqency of the factory horns. I do believe they are 500hz and 600hz and the sport horns operate at 550hz and 650hz.

Kevin

Old 02-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's not a siren or a sport horn, but my link: AIR HORN gets attention when you want it!!

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Acura RSX type s
Ever create interface

[QUOTE=KPierson;187641]It can be done fairly easy...

wire up one side of the coil of a relay to the ignition and put the othe side to gound. Wire terminal 30 (common) to the output of the BCM that goes to the horn relay. Wire terminal 87 to the wire coming in from the horn relay. Hook 87A up to another relay that will control your siren. ( believe pin 85 to 87a of first relay, pin 86 to 12vs, pin 30 to 12volts, pin 87 to siren 12 volt, siren ground to ground)

With this setup whenever the car is off the relay will not be energized so the siren relay would be connected to the BCM. When the ignition is on the relay will energize and it will connect the BCM output to the horn relay so your horn will work as normal.

RELAY1
[87] - Horn Honk Relay
[87a] - Siren Relay
[85] -gnd [86] -+12vdc when ignition on

[30] -BCM Horn Honk Output

RELAY2
[87] - Out to Siren +12Vdc
[87a] - N/C
[85] -PIN87 of relay1 [86] -+12vdc

[30] -+12vdc

If you have any questions let me know... without drawing it out completely it might be somewhat confusing. The only problem with this setup is that when the factory alarm goes off it pulses the horn, so your siren would pulse on and off. The chirps will work perfect. If you can get an on-delay timer relay that activates an off delay timer relay you can use the longer alarm horn pusle (its longer then the arm/disarm pulse) to extend the length of the pulse thus creating a constant signal. (this would cost about $100 in parts). If there is any interest in this I will try to build another cheap mod to make this a reality. I'm already planning on building an interface for dual stage shock sensors so maybe I can just make a security mod!!!!!

Kevin

Kevin
-------------------------------------------------
I know this thread is old but I was wondering if you ever came up with that security mod. Trying to make aftermarket six tone siren work in place of OEM alarm horn honk. Kind of new to automotive wiring. When I honk the horn the siren goes as well. Also when alarm is triggered the siren pulses on and off like own security horn. Please help