Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

About 1 day from pulling the trigger on dual din unit!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 1 day from pulling the trigger on dual din unit!!

Brand new Pioneer Avic D3(includes bluetooth and ipod cable and remote)$780delivered
vs.
Brand new Kenwood DNX 7100: $880 delivered, no bluetooth included, no ipod cable included)

I prefer the Kenwood but for what would be approx a $225 difference when I add bluetooth and ipod cable to the Kenwood, I'm not sure if the Kenwood is worth it......

So, I've seen it discussed before but wanted to hear any last opinions/facts/thoughts/recommendations...etc.

Thanks fellas!(and gals)

Last edited by hurricanebsball; 12-18-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Well I'm cheap so I say go w/ the Pioneer. Don't know too much about the D3 but if it's ANYTHING like the Z2 you can't go wrong, I've been havin a ball w/ mine. Hope the ipod interface is better on the D3 than the Z2 though

Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got the Pioneer and so far i like it. the screen is a little smaller, but since its not motorized i never have to worry about it hitting the shifter or breaking down. Most people do say good things about the kenwood navi, i think it made by garmin. other then that you can't go wrong with either unit, they spec out pretty close in terms of their features.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
D3 you have to swap the dvd/cd/nav dvd. For Z2 I think the map is stored on a HD so you can play dvd/cd's. I think the Kenwood has the same setup as the Z2. For cheapos like me go with D3. For ease and bells and whistles get Kenwood imo.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I personally think Pioneer makes the best HU so i would get D3.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by hurricanebsball
Brand new Pioneer Avic D3(includes bluetooth and ipod cable and remote)$780delivered
vs.
Brand new Kenwood DNX 7100: $880 delivered, no bluetooth included, no ipod cable included)

I prefer the Kenwood but for what would be approx a $225 difference when I add bluetooth and ipod cable to the Kenwood, I'm not sure if the Kenwood is worth it......

So, I've seen it discussed before but wanted to hear any last opinions/facts/thoughts/recommendations...etc.

Thanks fellas!(and gals)
Have you considered the Alpine IVA-W205, you will need the i-pod cable, but it is cheap. It is cheaper than both units you have listed, and looks great installed. You can add so many options to the Alpine units. I personally like the ability to change backgrounds, or play the DVD only on the AUX output (my NAV).

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I would consider the Alpine W205 also.....THE BEST ipod interface out there and the cable is only $20, but if you are not, then go with the kenwood....one major drawback to the D3 is having to swap Nav DVD/Video DVD all the time. For me this is a major deal. And the D3 is nothing like the Z2 mainly because the navi on the D3 is DVD-based, and the navi on the Z2 is hard drive-based. Big difference in terms of ease of use.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I love my D3. I just keep the navi disk in tehre all the time. I primarily listen to my Ipod and sometimes radio.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
go with the D3, i just installed it last week to replace my stolen Pioneer 6600DVD and it's an awesome unit! Navi is great, and it gives my Alpine type R components plenty of juice!
-GP-

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Alright guys, I'm going with the 7100. I've heard the Garmin Navi is sweet on it and although a lot of the reviews say the menu is a bit confusing it would just take a little time to figure it out. I like the sleek look and the fact that it doesn't have the **** thingy. Just personal taste. I've heard the d3 is sweet too so no offense d3 owners!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I have a thread going right now with the same question. I think I am going to go with the D3 though. I use my iPod or Sirius for music, nav is not too important (though I love Garmin navigation). I just wanted something that was cost effective and could get the job done. For what it's worth here is a link to that thread... Link

Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 AM
In regards to your post ucf52....
Originally Posted by ucf52
Also, after reading about the D3 it seems that the only time the nav disc needs to be in the slot is when you want to add a destination in. So, for POI's I wouldn't have to load the disc in and then search, right?
This is not correct. For anything but navigating from your original route, you will need to have the nav DVD in. This includes any time you have to search for anything, and obviously includes when you miss a turn or you go off route. Without the nav DVD in, you really can't do anything else but see your route and have the unit give you directions by voice prompts and maps. So if you just want to simply find the nearest McDonald's, you'll have to put in the nav DVD. The D3 has very limited storage for navigating and thus requires the nav DVD alot. This is one of the reasons I opted not to go with the D3 and instead went with the Alpine IVA-W200.....mainly because the nav portion would really only be a novelty for my needs, and having to switch back and forth between nav DVD and movie DVD just to play around with the navi and have a "cool" feature would have been no fun for me, and the superior iPod control was way more important to me on a daily-use basis that the W200 has. But yeah, you are right, for features per price, the D3 looks very attractive. It's just that it has some major drawbacks for my personal use that I can't get by. For me the Z2 would make much more sense than the D3 but I wasn't wanting to pony up the money for that guy at the time. I love my W200.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by harder1
In regards to your post ucf52....

This is not correct. For anything but navigating from your original route, you will need to have the nav DVD in. This includes any time you have to search for anything, and obviously includes when you miss a turn or you go off route. Without the nav DVD in, you really can't do anything else but see your route and have the unit give you directions by voice prompts and maps. So if you just want to simply find the nearest McDonald's, you'll have to put in the nav DVD. The D3 has very limited storage for navigating and thus requires the nav DVD alot. This is one of the reasons I opted not to go with the D3 and instead went with the Alpine IVA-W200.....mainly because the nav portion would really only be a novelty for my needs, and having to switch back and forth between nav DVD and movie DVD just to play around with the navi and have a "cool" feature would have been no fun for me, and the superior iPod control was way more important to me on a daily-use basis that the W200 has. But yeah, you are right, for features per price, the D3 looks very attractive. It's just that it has some major drawbacks for my personal use that I can't get by. For me the Z2 would make much more sense than the D3 but I wasn't wanting to pony up the money for that guy at the time. I love my W200.
Awesome, that's the question I wanted to know the answer to. Although, for most this would be a major drawback, I use my iPod exclusively for music, so it seems that I would have the nav disc in their all the time anyways. It seems that certain units with different features will fit a persons needs differently.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:44 PM
any u guys got an 04 radio and finisher for sale? i can either buy it or we can swap for my dd willow finisher and jdm ac controller with the dual climate button.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will we lose the g35's voice recognination feature if we swap tp the pioneer? or even the buttons on the steering wheel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About 1 day from pulling the trigger on dual din unit!!